Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
me like stat-o-seals-

cb
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction for sure on the supra needs some tweaking . Why run the race logic though and not run the traction through the vipec?

Regardless of that Badass ecu glad to see a few more added in the evo community! I use it alot in other platforms mostly 2j and f20, and more more domestics which I'm happling agreeing too lol

Top notch parts my dude. Looking forward to it put all together
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kreionic
Traction for sure on the supra needs some tweaking . Why run the race logic though and not run the traction through the vipec?

Regardless of that Badass ecu glad to see a few more added in the evo community! I use it alot in other platforms mostly 2j and f20, and more more domestics which I'm happling agreeing too lol

Top notch parts my dude. Looking forward to it put all together
The owner has the Racelogic already installed. From what the owner said that the T/C in the vipec did not have a good strategy and may or may not be functional? I have not tried using it at all to be honest. Have you used it? Successfully?

I like the vipec a lot. Wish I would've got a v88. Maybe when I upgrade I'll skip and get an M400.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just noticed where you have the ports on the bcs solenoid. I was told to run the boost source to port 1, port 2 tee'd to the top of both gates and port 3 vta thru the sintered filter. How are you plumbing yours?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

If you've seen a picture of my EBC solenoid then it's still setup for when I had my HKS7460 w/ internal gate. It will be different for the external gate setup.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for taking the time to document your build. Wish I had the time and skills to work on my Evo to this degree... although I have a feeling that if I would, my wife would kill me. Guess I'll live vicariously through this thread. Can't wait to see it fire up.

l8r)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

-3AN PLUMBING UPDATESo I think I found a solution to my FPR problem. I called Kinsler and told them I wanted to run a -3AN line to my vacuum/boost reference. They have a solution for me and I think its going to be very nice. Makes me happy.

MY AMS OIL PAN SAGA CONTINUES
I welded up the .040" thick aluminum fuel tank for the WWU FSAE kids last night and took it in hoping to convince them that it was worth some Mill time. They informed me that the Lagun was broken (hucked a tool and messed up the spindle while using a temporary tension rod... which facilities had a replacement for, but was too lazy to install) and the other mill was booked until competition. ME=DOH! So I went to their manufacturing lead and asked them how much I could weld for them to buy me some mill time. I explained that it would take about 30 minutes to setup and 5 minutes to do. They ended up giving me the ARB links, the fuel fill tube, and their oil pan (IRONIC) SIDE NOTE: I hand fabricated the oil pan for Viking 43.. it was used again on Viking 46, 48, 51, and... I get to fabricate the new pan for 53. I suspect they'll probably end up using my pan I made for 43... it's the only one that maintains oil pressure during high lateral g's.

It's got a kicked out sump on the right side (has problems with long sweeping right handers... sound familiar?) and 3 trap doors, extensive baffling, and a windage PLATE. it works really well. It was version 3 for our team... we did 2 cnc'd pans out of 7075 and then I fabricated one out of 6061. Pure win.

So maybe I'll snap some pictures of their car they're building this year when I'm up there. Janicki Industries www.janicki.com Home of the worlds largest highest precision 5-axis cnc mills. 100'x20'x8' mill envelope... with accuracy to and RMS of .0017", max of .002" (where I currently work) did the molds for their carbon monocoque chassis this year...AND the molds for v43 (when I was at WWU) ... which got reused for 46, 48, and 51.

Video from when we built v43. We took 6th at competition.

v43

v46

v48 (Both of the guys outside the car work at Janicki now)

v51

And a nice picture of v43 completed in one of JI's mills. You can spot me... I'm the short one.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Nice pictures, I've never seen that type of racing vehicle before, must be a lot of money behind it though. Big team and lots of engineering

Edit: just saw the video, this is pretty awesome, I wonder how much ones of these student made cars would go for

Last edited by khmerpimpin; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
Nice pictures, I've never seen that type of racing vehicle before, must be a lot of money behind it though. Big team and lots of engineering

Edit: just saw the video, this is pretty awesome, I wonder how much ones of these student made cars would go for
Since they are the property of the University they cannot be sold. (well... usually)

Out FSAE budget for v43 was 17k dollars. To give you a comparison... University of washington's budget that year was 43k dollars. The difference is that WWU manufactures a very large amount of the parts on the car. It is literally built, not bought.

WWU teams are quite small compared to other universities to. GFR/OSU has over 100 active members which get class credit for working on the car. WWU typically has a team size of 20-25, with about less than half of that actively working on the car. Usually its a group of around 5 or less that do a large part of the work.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Since they are the property of the University they cannot be sold. (well... usually)

Out FSAE budget for v43 was 17k dollars. To give you a comparison... University of washington's budget that year was 43k dollars. The difference is that WWU manufactures a very large amount of the parts on the car. It is literally built, not bought.

WWU teams are quite small compared to other universities to. GFR/OSU has over 100 active members which get class credit for working on the car. WWU typically has a team size of 20-25, with about less than half of that actively working on the car. Usually its a group of around 5 or less that do a large part of the work.
I see, so they have over 50 of these from past events? Or do the parts get reused and recycled?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
The formula SAE teams I know usually give away their car or put them on display. One of the cars was given to be put on display to a local gokart track since so much of the testing was done there for free.

Most of the time they're scavenged for parts for next year.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Damnnn man! You have some mad skills and tools too! Excellent build! Love everything!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

So why go with the AMS / Moroso wet sump oil pan instead of something like Norris' dry sump kit? AFAIK even the AMS pan doesn't do a whole lot to improve the right-hand sweeper oil starvation issue on our cars.

l8r)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
So why go with the AMS / Moroso wet sump oil pan instead of something like Norris' dry sump kit? AFAIK even the AMS pan doesn't do a whole lot to improve the right-hand sweeper oil starvation issue on our cars.

l8r)
Because I plan on modifying the pan to solve the problem with a wet sump pan and then sell it to all you slackies. I have to first get a data log on a particular corner showing the oil pressure drop, then modify the pan to improve it...and show a quantitative improvement.

And because as my wife said... the cost of the dry-sump systems are equivalent to her buying 30 jackets. I don't think a dry-sump oiling system meets my definition of a street car.

All of the western cars are complete. From 43, 46, 48, and 51. We build a complete new car every year. Some parts have been borrowed from other cars, but the cars stay complete and they get driven every year. 43 had a suspension point fail this year while it was running. That car is almost 5 years old now.

Oh yeah...these fsae cars are only eligible for racing in the series for 1 calendar year. Every year the team has to make a whole new car.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Very interesting thread, I can't get enough of it. Excellent work!

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's Evo 9 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670