Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Tim's Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim's Evo X

I have been posting on local forums but need to get some posts on here to post a WTB ad so I figured I would copy my build thread to here from mitsustyle. Anyway, I picked up a 2008 evo x about 3 weeks ago and got to modding...

Saw the car for sale on this forum (previous owner was Pr3z) and drove down to Des Moines (about 3 hours from me) and bought it that weekend.

He had mostly demodded it, but left the comp stage 3 clutch, swift sport springs, stainless brake lines, dba rotors, and hawk pads in. I also got him to throw some parts into the deal that he was going to sell... 3.5" ETS intercooler, ETS UICP and LICP, and ETS intake, and a whiteline rear sway.

I put the FMIC, piping, and intake in a day or two after bringing it home...

Then MAP built me some exhaust.. recirc DP, testpipe, and modified a magnaflow to be full 3" (promised the wife I'd keep it relatively quiet! But it only had to be quieter than the last car, which was a built vette with longtubes, corsa, and no cats, so that doesn't say much). Also picked up a grimmspeed 3port from them.

Other than getting the stock o2 housing out (that nut/stud facing the driver side tricked me, was expecting it to be another bolt from the passenger side), the exhaust install was a piece of cake, and I'm very happy with the sound, as is the wife!

I couldn't resist the corn, so I picked up some FIC 1100s, a DW300 fp, MAP fp install kit, and DW fp hardwire kit.

Then I picked up the mandatory enkei rpf1s... 18x9.5+15, matte black

And put some nitto nt05s on them.. 275/35/18 (I've had good luck with other nitto tires in the past, first time trying nt05s, doing fine on the street so far at least, we'll see @ track)

No center caps on the rpf1s, so I used some rustoleum (or similar) flat black paint to clean up the rusty hubs while detailing it.

Then I picked up boost and AFR gauges from MAP and put them in (nice how the factory has a grommet right above where MAP put an extra bung in the dp for me! Boost sensor wires through the firewall were kind of a ***** though, glad I have long skinny fingers at least).

AFR gauge works great. Boost gauge seems to not want to recognize vacuum in its auto-zero thing.. guess some x guys have had issues with it resetting between on and start positions, so it messes up the auto-zero... don't know, going to mess with it more tomorrow, otherwise it's going back to autometer if it's not just an install issue.

Brought it to Ron @ RS Motors yesterday, and am VERY pleased with the results... (Ignore the baseline, was just a quick tune to get me rolling on e85... final numbers from Ron are 360hp/372tq on mustang dyno)

Car is night and day better from stock power / stock tune. Looking forward to getting it up to BIR or at least an autox soon here (5 month old being the main challenge there).

Last edited by timschot; Aug 14, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice start to your build Tim. With all the X's being bought here in Minnesota and with all the owners buying similar parts and having them installed/tuned at RS Motors, there will be a ton of bad **** cars cruising the highways and byways of the Twin Cities. My own car will have similar mods done in about a week, so I am hoping for similar numbers.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks!! I have a few more parts ordered now as well, but might wait a bit to put them in... not sure how far I want to push the stock block and want to get more comfortable with where the car's at now first
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:42 PM

Couple things....

First...

After a lot of stop and go traffic earlier today (first time since dw300/hardwire/fic1100s/e85 swap). The return line had worked it's way off, then after popping it back on and driving another half hour in free and clear traffic, the car died and would not start. It cranked, had spark, had voltage at injectors, fuel pump clearly making noise, won't pop over with injectors unplugged (not flooded)... no leaks under the car... pop fuel pump out.. that line looked loose.. tug both ends out of the bucket, yep that used to not be a 2 piece fuel line. So... I suspect I AM having issues with idle/low throttle fuel pressure being too high and will have to address that. Either that or that line is not e85 proof as it should be. Thoughts?

Second...

(and a few other things...)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:05 PM

The DW300 pump failed shortly after replacing the line with the $25/foot submersible napa stuff. I put the DW65c/stock hanger I still had sitting on the shelf in, and have driven it for a week now with no issues. DW300 has been sent back to DW, hopefully get a new one back or I'll go with an E85 W400 next and mod accordingly to accommodate it's ridiculous flow at idle.

Car is going to RS on Tuesday to get the following done:
  • Wiseco HD pistons
  • MAP Ultimate Duty rods
  • ARP head studs
  • ACL main and rod bearings
  • Exedy Twin Disc HD
  • Shep diff pins
  • MAP EF3, fully ported, coated
  • MAP 3.5" intake (will have my ETS for sale soon)
Some pictured below...

And my 5 month old has a new toy...

Went to an autox/speed run event in Amery WI this past weekend and had a blast! The last few runs were in the rain... it was nice to feel almost as planted in rain as I do in dry... 4 wheel slides were fun too

Last edited by timschot; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

looks good enjoy
Old Sep 1, 2012, 08:37 AM

nice car
Old Sep 1, 2012, 05:59 PM

Thanks!

Not sure what to expect for power. Not finding a ton to compare to with ef3, stock manifolds, and built bottom end, but guessing somewhere in the 420hp/400tq range on a mustang.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:50 AM

Had some hiccups the past week or two... we were unable to stay on the stock sleeves as they were scored up. We ordered some 86.5mm pistons to put in stock sleeves, but there were issues boring the stock sleeves. So it's getting an ERL sleeved block. I had ordered some 88mm wiseco pistons, but they are on a 3 week backorder, so I am just going to use the 86.5mm pistons in the sleeved block for a nice reliable sleeved 2L.

I got the DW300 back from DW - they gave me a new one. Also picked up the exedy twin from MAP a while ago.

Sending my core to ERL now, sounds like they're starting sleeving on a block they already had, and RS Motors (building the car) will be ready to put things together as soon as it arrives!

Last edited by timschot; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:08 PM

what did you do in terms of the guards? did the 275/35 fit without problems?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:01 PM

Previous owner had run 285s on a 10" wheel and rolled/pulled the fenders, so the 275s on 9.5" fit without issue. Definitely needs a roll at least. No rubbing here.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:23 AM

Haven't posted updates on here in a while... copying from evomn

Old turbo...

New turbo and some quieter pads for the street (will swap to track pads for everything else)...

Exedy twin hd that's replacing my comp stg 3

Motor ready to be torn into...

Empty car

The motor ended up having some scoring in the cylinder walls, so we were going to just overbore .020 on stock sleeves, but that didn't work out, so off the block went to ERL, and they sent back this... sleeved and bored/honed to match my .020 over pistons. Would've gone a bit bigger bore, but I like having plenty of meat and the extra ci isn't worth a 3 week wait on pistons.

Also picked up the AMS CMC kit... no more plastic CMC.

Ron started getting things put together.

Ron noticed this... "T1M"? It was meant to be.

Turns out the block I got from ERL is the newer style with the deleted timing chain oil squirter, which threw us off at first but I guess that's good news. We were also missing two galley plugs from the core, so ERL shipped those up, waiting on those to arrive now.

Also getting the new revised timing chain.

In the home stretch... just waiting on a couple plugs and the timing chain, then she'll be going back together.

Last edited by timschot; Oct 9, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:20 PM

looks awesome!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:32 PM

How are the Nitto's on the autoX? Also how do they feel on the road as well? I do a bit of autocrossing myself too and I can't decide on what street/track tires to buy once my current ones are truly done for
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ntown
looks awesome!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by vexor
How are the Nitto's on the autoX? Also how do they feel on the road as well? I do a bit of autocrossing myself too and I can't decide on what street/track tires to buy once my current ones are truly done for
I am not an expert auto x'er by any means, but I liked them. I have heard from better drivers that they're great. I've never run on r comps or anything more aggressive though, so I am not a good person to ask.

Car was started yesterday, engine sounded good Just working out a few little issues. Fuel return line popped off, clogged filter probably. Airbag light on.

Last edited by timschot; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Tim's Evo X