Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

mitsuorder's 4g69 experiment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013 | 07:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Here's how she sits as of now

Old Apr 24, 2013 | 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Coming along super fast! Did you get everything on time?
Old Apr 24, 2013 | 09:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Still waiting on the o-rings but sure they'll show up any day now.
Old Apr 29, 2013 | 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Cant believe I just found this thread! Subscribed for sure. Looks great so far!
Old May 6, 2013 | 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

good to see your still in the game Josh.

I got a new number send me a text sometime.

516-353-9783
Old May 6, 2013 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

amazing build, definitely inspiring - have you started it up yet or driven it?
Old May 7, 2013 | 05:57 PM

Anxious! Any news on the final results of the build! Btw its a beautiful build an outstanding attention to detail.....
Old May 7, 2013 | 06:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks for all of the supportive words guys and JOHN!!! What's up broseph? Will contact you shortly.

Well since I've been all about transparency on this build a couple of things:

a) With this particular pump I was unable to utilize the oem siphon t, more like an h honestly. No matter what size I drilled it out to, within the margin I felt safe, I couldn't get fuel pressure under 60 psi with my Fuelab fpr. So I installed a second -10 Fragola in tank pick up setup in the passenger's side and utilized a Magnafuel -10 Y at the driver's side to allow for pickup from both sides. We'll see how that goes. The placement directly on the driver's side pickup should give priority similar to the factory system. Once all in place I had full adjustability of pressure and 42/43 psi was easily dialed in.

b) My alternator took a dump on startup. Looks like the brushes/contacts corroded over the years while sitting :/ Gives me an excuse to go with a higher output unit. Can't hurt considering the draw of the Magnafuel 4303 and Spal 30103202 small animal sucker radiator fan lol.

The car starts up, runs, and moves under its own power The startup map was just that so idle is high. Had to leave the country again two days after it came to life. Will return in a month or so to sort out the alternator issue and ship the car. Would like to get a tune on it for shake down in the States but we'll see how the cards stack up when I come to that junction. With the migration to GTR's these days we just don't have the options we used to.
Old May 11, 2013 | 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I don't care what u have to do but come back now to the states and ramp up the power on this bish, I can't wait anymore, I need to see what power r u gonna push with this babe. Lol.
I guess ill have to wait more time.
Old May 11, 2013 | 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by javicracer
i don't care what u have to do but come back now to the states and ramp up the power on this bish, i can't wait anymore, i need to see what power r u gonna push with this babe. Lol.
I guess ill have to wait more time.
+1
Old May 17, 2013 | 10:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Trust me guys I'm giddy like a schoolgirl anxious Need an alternator for it when I get back. Had Douglas Autoworks in mind for an upgraded unit but the have since gone out of business from what I've heard. Anyone have a lead on a quality upgrade or good price for an oem unit?
Old May 18, 2013 | 12:09 PM

When are you returning? Iam currently waiting for your build results to decide on 4g69 or 4g64. Do you think there will be any HG failure due to the water passages on the 4g69 block......Great build one best I have seen to date.....good luck and may everything workout!
Old May 18, 2013 | 01:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thank you very much evo10.5t. I really appreciate the kind words. I can't foresee any passage blockages as I took my sweet time really studying the differences between the gaskets for the VIII 4g63, IX 4g63, 4g64, and 4g69 in reference to the IX head and 69 block. They all left me feeling a bit nervous in areas and then I got my hands on the Power Enterprise head gasket. Everything was basically port matched and lined up. Should have seen my face after making countless templates of all of these combos when this one just looked perfect.

With that said, the only other fully running 4g69 Evo head combo I know of had constant problems with blowing out freeze plugs. It was running what was marketed as a "economy" head gasket and eventually the block was ditched in favor of a 4g63 when the company who had built it basically ran out of patience with testing. I really believe it was an issue with the selected head gasket with everything I heard but cannot confirm anything as again, the project was ditched. Let's all just hope there isn't some crazy coolant flow direction issue. Feel free to speculate away of if ANYONE else has some experience. This is again, an attempt to provide another viable option for the 4g world so good or bad, bring it forward.

I should be back mid June/July to tie up a few things in the U.S., slap an alternator on the car, and hopefully get it tuned. This is becoming the predicament at the moment as the person I have always used is now inundated with the GTR market. Jesus those cars annoy me... I really want to give the vehicle a proper shake down while in the U.S. as I obviously want what's going to fail, fail there. Also I would like some nice e85 numbers on a proper dyno as well

Last edited by mitsuorder; May 18, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 18, 2013 | 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Very curious to see how this does compared to the 64 swap I'm finishing up right now. I'd love to have an alternative option for a follow on engine to build for a rainy day.
Old May 19, 2013 | 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Thank you very much evo10.5t. I really appreciate the kind words. I can't foresee any passage blockages as I took my sweet time really studying the differences between the gaskets for the VIII 4g63, IX 4g63, 4g64, and 4g69 in reference to the IX head and 69 block. They all left me feeling a bit nervous in areas and then I got my hands on the Power Enterprise head gasket. Everything was basically port matched and lined up. Should have seen my face after making countless templates of all of these combos when this one just looked perfect.

With that said, the only other fully running 4g69 Evo head combo I know of had constant problems with blowing out freeze plugs. It was running what was marketed as a "economy" head gasket and eventually the block was ditched in favor of a 4g63 when the company who had built it basically ran out of patience with testing. I really believe it was an issue with the selected head gasket with everything I heard but cannot confirm anything as again, the project was ditched. Let's all just hope there isn't some crazy coolant flow direction issue. Feel free to speculate away of if ANYONE else has some experience. This is again, an attempt to provide another viable option for the 4g world so good or bad, bring it forward.

I should be back mid June/July to tie up a few things in the U.S., slap an alternator on the car, and hopefully get it tuned. This is becoming the predicament at the moment as the person I have always used is now inundated with the GTR market. Jesus those cars annoy me... I really want to give the vehicle a proper shake down while in the U.S. as I obviously want what's going to fail, fail there. Also I would like some nice e85 numbers on a proper dyno as well
Well I appreciate your attempt and hope you are successful in providing us with another option to the 64! Also thanks for the info on the power enterprise head gasket.....

Quick Reply: mitsuorder's 4g69 experiment