Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My EF3 results on my VIII

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My EF3 results on my VIII

Well just got most of my work done to the car some of you might remember my old build thread were i was unsure what i was going to do well it done now well almost.

So i guess ill start with my mod list:
Stock block.

AMS FMIC and lower ICP with partial UICP w/ Tial 50mm BOV
FIC 1250 blue max injectors
Speed Density conversion
Map EF3 turbo with all the options ported with the 3 inch surge cover
Speed Density Intake and filter
GSC S2 cams w/ GSC beehive springs and titanium retainers
full Hks 3in tbe w/ test pipe
OEM exhaust manifold ( my megan cracked) only untill my Toxic Fab stuff comes
arp head studs
oem 02 housing ( again only untill my toxic fab 02 dump comes
Halaman MBC
Gates blue timing and balance belt
HKS turbo Timer
Comp stage 2 clutch kit w/ oem flywheel and i have nothing but amazing things to say about this it grabs perfect and just a little stiffer then stock and high rpm shifting just glides into gear (8k)
im sure these more just cant think of it at the moment but i will update soon thanks for looking

Now for the final numbers

401.16/355.14 @26lbs of boost tuned by Arron @ English Racing did an amazing job i guess were being really restricted due to the stock 02 housing so once the 02 dump comes in we should be able to make a nice chunk more power

Now for the bad which im talking with Nate @ MAP (hes a great help me figure out whats wrong My spool is SUPER SLOW 26lbs @ 5k) rpms heres the dyno sheet maybe you guys have some ideas or something maybe.

Blue line is obviously my old set up on the stock VIII turbo

A Huge thanks goes out to everyone involved in this build

Chris @ no limit motorsports thank you for the great prices and awesome customer service i will continue to get my parts from him

Nate @ MAP for a great turbo that is making the power and helping me and continuing to help me this guy has delt with 101 questions from me and always helped with no problem thank you

Collin @ Toxic Fab for always staying in touch with me on my manifold and 02 dump but we've all see his work its bar none and he as well always available to help me even when it was just random questions

Arron and all the guys @ English Racing i cant say enough about the whole crew down there when i first dropped the car off myles gave me and my girl a tour of the shop walked me through a few options i had. Arron for the awesome tune and still working with me on getting this turbo to spool faster lol and help me once i get the 02 dump and manifold he knew my power goals and he made them for me and safely too all the guys down there are super nice Lucas super cool dude too and when i told the guys i had a show to goto on Saturday they worked really hard to get the car done and ready.

Thank you everyone for everything I will update as i figure out some things but other then my slow spool issue the ef3 is a GREAT turbo i mean when it does hit it hits nice and sounds like a jet engine and again if anyone has any ideas please let me know im thinking it might have allot to do with my 02 housing or maybe something with the waste gate preloaded wrong ???
Attached Thumbnails My EF3 results on my VIII-john-conte-ef2-s2-sd-1250.jpg   My EF3 results on my VIII-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by DsmGuy86; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

And I know the file says ef2 buts it's a 3 typo error lol
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the mbc is holding you back. Why don't you try hybrid boost?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hybrid boost?? I'm sorry newb question I'm thinking about swapping to a grimsspeed 3port would the mbc really slow spool like that when I talked to Nate he was telling me I should spool closer to 4k if it's the mbc I'm ripping it off tonight lol
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Your turbo is spooling slow because your wastegate is not adjusted properly. I had the same problem with my old Red, it would hit full boost around 4600-4700 and all I did is adjust the wastegate and started hitting full boost at 4100 rpms. Hope that helps
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

^ thank you man here's a newb question I want to try that but I don't know how to properly do it I can you maybe guve me some pointers on how? just assumed the guys that tuned and put it together did that already but I'm willing to try it
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Also I'm pretty sure it's using the 17psi spring in it at the moment I don't thing English put the extra 5 lb sping in there and let's say I don get this thing to spool like it should will that mess with my tune since the boost hits sooner
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

So I think I'm gonna look into checking the preload tommorow maybe see what I can do if anyone else has any tips on doing this the right way I would appreciate it all in all I'm happy with my power right now when it starts to pull it doesn't stop I like it allot also the dyno pull was done in 4th gear
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

bump for any other comments or suggestions thanks
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Yeah your preload looks a little loose. I know you will have to tinker with it some. Just keep in mind the preload should be 1/4 inch or so before the wg arm when its closed. Basically when the arm is closed put it in the middle of back piece of the eyelid of the wga. I hope that doesnt confuse you but I am sure if you look at the wga you will understand it. And I still don't know why people do pulls in 4th gear. Way lots of stress on the motor being its a higher gear. All in all nice #'s hope my tid bit gets that thing fixed.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Yeah your preload looks a little loose. I know you will have to tinker with it some. Just keep in mind the preload should be 1/4 inch or so before the wg arm when its closed. Basically when the arm is closed put it in the middle of back piece of the eyelid of the wga. I hope that doesnt confuse you but I am sure if you look at the wga you will understand it. And I still don't know why people do pulls in 4th gear. Way lots of stress on the motor being its a higher gear. All in all nice #'s hope my tid bit gets that thing fixed.
haha thank you man yea im gonna check it even Nate is saying the preload is pry adjusted wrong so that will be my project this week will i have to pul the turbo off the car im guessing to do this? all in all though its a GREAT turbo im happy with it
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
I did it with the turbo on the car. Easyiest way is to do it with air but if you dont have air use rope. You will want to turn it into the wga about 3 turns or so. Just tie a rope to just below the eyelid and hold the flapper closed and pull. Kinda a pita sometimes but works well. Just don't add to much preload or the wg wont open at all. That my friend is not good.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks man I appreciate it I will keep this thread updated as I go on with it and get the toxic fab exhaust manifold and 02dump
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Here you go

http://www.mellonracing.com/index.ph...roducts_id=953
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gt30revolXmr
Sweet thank you so much yea after further invesigating with Nate at map it has to be the WGA thank you so much for this

Quick Reply: My EF3 results on my VIII