Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Ricky's 2.4LR FP Black Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky's 2.4LR FP Black Build Thread

Hello Evom,
This is my first build in my Evo so i'm still new to a majority of the evo specific things, especially the 4g64 motor. I've been a DSM guy since I was 15, now nearly 21 still own my 98 GSX. I lost my stock 2.0 at 103K. A few local Evo owners suggested looking into the 2.4 long rod, and so I did. With my want for the occasional daily and primary street driven car; the 64 seemed like a great route.

I'll give you guys some background info on the car. And a few pictures showing how it's changed.
I bought it October 20th, 2011. Bone stock, with coilovers and a bov.

Picked up some wheels and misc. exterior parts.

Picked up o2 housing, exhaust, fuel pump, ets lower i/c piping and an intercooler and was initially tuned at 329@ 314tq at English Racing.

April 20th 2012. Woke up to my XXR 527's missing, and my car on blocks.

Next up was GSC S2's and a Fujita UICP. Car made 370@ 354tq at ER again.

A couple months later, after going to the beach and getting sand everywhere under my car, wihtout thinking took it to a touchles spray and undercarriage wash. Needless to say that did not go well. Then converted to the ix.

Picked up new rims after a little while as well.

On to my build... (bold is what is new, regular font is what was already on car)
- Stock 64 Crank
- CP Pistons 9:5:1 87mm bore
- Manley TT 156mm Rod
- ACL Bearings
- ARP Main Studs
- ARP Head Studs
- AWD Motorsports WP Adapter Plate
- GSC S3 Cams
- GSC Valve Springs
- [B] GSC Lifters [B]
- Cometic Head Gasket
- STM Oil cooler kit
- Exedy Twin Disc HD
- ETS LICP
- Fujita UICP
- Turbo XS Core
- Hallman MBC
- FP DBB Black (ported)
- Perrin 3" DP
- Invidea 3" Catback
- FIC 1450
- Wally 255lph
- Prosport Oil Pressure gauge
- Prosport Boost gauge
- Prosport Wideband

I want to get the car running and driving again, then i'm going to switch out a few mods, convert to speed density, and increase fuel.
I am staying on pump gas with this build, simply because there is no e85 easily reachable to me. My goal is to hit 500hp on 92 oct.

After disassembling my 4g64 block, it was clear the motor was still in great shape.
No large scaring in the cylinder walls, the crank was near perfect, and overall it was still a good runnning motor.

Currently the motor is at the machine shop and being assembled. Most of the parts are here, but still waiting on a few things including turbo.
Will update this as soon as updates are availble.

Would love any type of advice from other 2.4 guys.

Last edited by SHSLKing11; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car looks good. But i think you should have stayed with the Evo 8 Bumper
Good luck with build.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by whiteEvo08Y
Car looks good. But i think you should have stayed with the Evo 8 Bumper
Good luck with build.
Some days I think the same thing.. I'm gonna have both at one point, but one chopped haha.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
O2 dump. Didnt see that listed.

Magnus V5.

For a 9.5:1 motor it will need meth to get to 500whp. I havent yet broke 500whp on a normal 9:1 LR2.4 with our ported head on straight 92 so what you are asking isnt a small task.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SHSLKing11
Some days I think the same thing.. I'm gonna have both at one point, but one chopped haha.
Yes do the nose chop off project . It will look super sexy. I did it on my Evo 8 Front bumper and its looks really good. My profile has a picture of my Evo with the Nose chopped off if you want to see how it will look or look through the forum and you will find more picture of member's car wit the nose chopped off.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
O2 dump. Didnt see that listed.

Magnus V5.

For a 9.5:1 motor it will need meth to get to 500whp. I havent yet broke 500whp on a normal 9:1 LR2.4 with our ported head on straight 92 so what you are asking isnt a small task.

Both of those mods will be revisited once the car is running and driving again. Unfortunately a 2.4 build and an fp black doesn't leave me much spending money one purchased and built. What's the most you've seen on pump w/o meth aaron?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

476 repeatedly without knock, 492 once or twice but not repeatedly.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
476 repeatedly without knock, 492 once or twice but not repeatedly.
I'm sure we'll talk before it gets to that point. I'm still on a twin, so i'm not too concerned with getting the most out of this black yet. Without the Magnus and dump I'd be happy with 450, it'll be interesting seeing how far the 255 will go.
Once returns get here i'm going to go through and get an ets kit, IM, more fuel, and dump. At that point i'd like to see a bit more power.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking car.

If you go back to the 8 bumper, nose chop for sure. I almsot wanna get an 8 bumper and nose chop it for my 9. Just looks so awesome.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SHSLKing11
I'm sure we'll talk before it gets to that point. I'm still on a twin, so i'm not too concerned with getting the most out of this black yet. Without the Magnus and dump I'd be happy with 450, it'll be interesting seeing how far the 255 will go.
Once returns get here i'm going to go through and get an ets kit, IM, more fuel, and dump. At that point i'd like to see a bit more power.
I made a post in the dyno section about the car in question.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:26 PM

Well, happy new year everybody. Nothing much has changed, however.. I did get a nice package in the mail (Took this picture closer to christmas I swear the tree isn't still up ha)

The FP Black came in, HP Oil feed line, along with the cometic head gasket, FP 4" intake, AEM cam gears, and I drove down to see Mr. Moore, from MitsubishiParts.net for my new oilpump.

and another black

More exciting news is that tomorrow i'm picking up the motor. Then it's time to make it all happen. A MAP o2 dump is on it's way in as well.

However, my question to you guys evo M is what injector size should I run? What injector brands have you guys had good luck with and what do you prever? I would like to push the car on e85 to see what it can make but will not daily drive on it, it will primarily be a pump gas car.

In passed times and with my old DSMS I have always prefered FIC's but do have some experience with some PTE's. And they both worked great.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most will say 2150s, just be careful with e85 if you plan on storing the car. FIC and ID both have instructions of storing for even just a few weeks on ethanol. Either run a tank of regular gas which will require two tunes and map switching or learn to pull and pickle them. ER is going to be the one to listen to on 2.4 advice, between them and Marco it made my transition very easy.

Getting an intake manifold like the Magnus v5 or AMS F1 will make a substantial difference on the 2.4, esp with s3 and a black on e85.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I think most will say 2150s, just be careful with e85 if you plan on storing the car. FIC and ID both have instructions of storing for even just a few weeks on ethanol. Either run a tank of regular gas which will require two tunes and map switching or learn to pull and pickle them. ER is going to be the one to listen to on 2.4 advice, between them and Marco it made my transition very easy.

Getting an intake manifold like the Magnus v5 or AMS F1 will make a substantial difference on the 2.4, esp with s3 and a black on e85.
I want the manifold, and an s3. But at this point I'm really looking forward to getting the car finished and driving. I don't plan to max this black out quite yet, I'm still only running a twin disc. This being said I don't want to have too much strain on the clutch although I don't plan to launch the car much as it sits.

The car won't be getting a lot of e85. Probably only JUST the tune and when e85 is convent as e85 is seldom in my area. I was leaning on the 1400-1600 area.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its about time you updated this ricky,slacking! haha
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't want to run 2150s, you really can't go much higher than a 1450 (FIC) on pump if you're staying low impedance. I chose 1250s for optimal pump gas driving.

Unless yours getting hi-z 2000+cc injectors it is not a good idea to get a bigger injector than you need. Get what is right for your current setup/goals, not for what you might possibly do in the future.

With that said, I'd grab 1250 Bluemax's if you're staying on pump most of the time.

I have a LR2.4l and S3s, and you will absolutely love the responsiveness and the torque of the 2.4l.

Instead of paying a ton for the Magnus I'd look into the Curt Brown Extreme Port IM service. It's only like $350 or so and made more power throughout the RPM range than the legendary STM Skunk 2 IM.

Last edited by Blue91lx; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Ricky's 2.4LR FP Black Build Thread