Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014 | 08:53 AM

The part number for the Lancer and EVO front crossmember are identical, so in theory they should fit, right?
Take a look at this picture, I circled in red the only differences between the EVO 8 front crossmember and the Lancer OZ crossmember.

https://i.imgur.com/DhhVoEv.jpg

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 30, 2014 | 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Archlegan
The part number for the Lancer and EVO front crossmember are identical, so in theory they should fit, right?
Take a look at this picture, I circled in red the only differences between the EVO 8 front crossmember and the Lancer OZ crossmember.

https://i.imgur.com/DhhVoEv.jpg

Hope this helps.
sometimes i've found when using ASA that the part numbers on the diagrams can be the same, but when you double click to add that item to your queue/list, it shows a different MR#. I don't think they are the same unfortunately but i found on the forums someone who did swap in the suspension subframe from an EVO into their base model lancer - i just don't know how that is going to affect the lower control arms yet :S

Last edited by doncarbone; Mar 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2014 | 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

referencing a post I made on another thread regarding the EVO 8/9 front lower control arms and the subframe..

Originally Posted by doncarbone
In the following thread, Henrys Ralliart doesn't make this 100% clear, but I'd have to assume he tried bolting up the EVO wishbones to his stock Lancer subframe. He makes no mention of having used the EVO subframe... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...lled-pics.html

So it's clear the lower control arms caused his wheels to move forward.

This isn't exactly conclusive as I don't know if having the suspension subframe in addition to the EVO lower control arms would make it even worse lol
So we know using the EVO wishbones are going to cause problems on a stock Lancer. The wheels get pushed about 6" forward, but this doesn't directly answer what will happen if we use an EVO subframe with my stock Lancer control arms...

MarkOJ1011 swapped in the EVO subframe and claims the only difference between the two is the EVO one is much more reinforced but bolts up to the same mounting points with the same bolts... I can't tell from this picture but it looks like he might be using the EVO steering rack which I've found also swaps in, but has a tighter ratio...

Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
The front subframes on the Lancer and the EVO are virtually the same. The mounting points are all in the same places and use the same bolts... the only difference between the two is that the EVO subframe is much more reinforced. You can swap the EVO's subframe onto a Lancer. I have done it here:

Still want to be a bit more sure before I go and find a used subframe and start tearing out my steering rack.
Old Mar 31, 2014 | 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by doncarbone
referencing a post I made on another thread regarding the EVO 8/9 front lower control arms and the subframe..

So we know using the EVO wishbones are going to cause problems on a stock Lancer. The wheels get pushed about 6" forward, but this doesn't directly answer what will happen if we use an EVO subframe with my stock Lancer control arms...

MarkOJ1011 swapped in the EVO subframe and claims the only difference between the two is the EVO one is much more reinforced but bolts up to the same mounting points with the same bolts... I can't tell from this picture but it looks like he might be using the EVO steering rack which I've found also swaps in, but has a tighter ratio...

Still want to be a bit more sure before I go and find a used subframe and start tearing out my steering rack.
You might be able to PM Mark and straight up ask him, he seems to still be around occasionally; he might be able to answer the LCA question and some other AWD swap questions.

Might the Lancer LCA work with the Evo subframe? Henrys Ralliart was never clear on whether he swapped back to the Lancer subframe or just switched LCAs.

If not, it looks like it could work with the radiator support swap and Evo front end.
I know Steven121 did the swap without Evo suspension and his wheels were pushed a little back towards the doors.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...sion-swap.html

Also, are you planning on swapping the Evo or Outlander front spindles? It believe it was Diavlo who thought that the spindles moved the wheels forward, but he never reported any results on that speculation.
Old Mar 31, 2014 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

You might be able to PM Mark and straight up ask him, he seems to still be around occasionally; he might be able to answer the LCA question and some other AWD swap questions.
I actually got ahold of him - he did clear up a few things. He said the only real difference is that the sway bar has a bend to allow for the transfer case. I'd imagine the return line as well for steering is bent too because both the sway bar and line on my car are directly in the way.

Might the Lancer LCA work with the Evo subframe? Henrys Ralliart was never clear on whether he swapped back to the Lancer subframe or just switched LCAs.

If not, it looks like it could work with the radiator support swap and Evo front end.
I know Steven121 did the swap without Evo suspension and his wheels were pushed a little back towards the doors.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...sion-swap.html
Ya unfortunately that wasn't made clear. My assumption was he was just swapping on the LCAs from the EVO onto the lancer subframe - he made no mention of swapping out everything -- it'd be a big job especially if you didn't get the complete subframe wtih the EVO steering rack, sway bar, lines etc... Just seems too much work that he wouldn't have mentioned it. He just said LCAs...so I can only assume that's all he swapped.

I won't bother doing an EVO front end conversion. It's just way too much work and I'm happy with the way my car looks now. I don't want to build an EVO...just make a fast car out of what I have which is a Lancer.

Also, are you planning on swapping the Evo or Outlander front spindles? It believe it was Diavlo who thought that the spindles moved the wheels forward, but he never reported any results on that speculation.
Outlander spindles although i'm having custom axles from A1CV-tech here in Canada made, so if we do identify any subtle differences we'll communicate that to them and they can correct those, although our measurements so far show that the Outlander axles are no different that what was on my car before (4G69 ralliart).
Old Apr 4, 2014 | 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: I've ordered the front suspension subframe, steering rack, mount and p/s lines (all used, ~10k miles) from an EVO 9. I will confirm once that gets here how everything fits. My guess is that it will bolt up fine, but the stock (oz rally) wishbones might not, we'll see.

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Achieved great progress this weekend:

The EVO 9 front suspension subframe arrived Friday (April 11) complete with a steering rack, high pressure lines, sway bar and all necessary bolts/brackets. Shout out to fimotosports for arranging the delivery of parts so fast

Saturday morning the parts were unboxed and compared to the stock OZ Rally components. I can confirm that everything does fit spot on. Even my front lower control arms bolted up with no problems and the wheels are going to sit exactly where they should.

There are two small things that do need to be addressed but they are menial:
  1. Sway bar end-links (which i didnt get with the subframe) are a little different as the oz rally ones are designed to bolt to a horizontally-oriented sway bar end, versus the EVO end that is oriented vertically... so we are just going to turn them and have them welded such that they are oriented in accordance to the EVO sway bar. should work.
  2. The outer tie rod ends are also different so i'm going to need the EVO ones but they are on the way. Hopefully those bolt up - they could be a little thicker.

So all said and done, we now have the AWD transmission and transfer case in.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-4swpc73.jpg

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-2fzewx1.jpg

We've also offered up the Outlander fuel tank to gauge fitment and it does look like it's going to fit with no problems less a slight modification to one of the mounting brackets.

The first week of May the car should be towed out to the fabricator's shop where the surgical procedure will commence.

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 19, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 09:19 AM

Tie rods are a direct swap, according to Senate6268: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ed-lancer.html
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Tie rods are a direct swap, according to Senate6268: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ed-lancer.html
awesome man, thanks for confirming this!
Old Apr 19, 2014 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Tie rod ends arrive probably Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

I'm on the hunt for an adapter needed for the rear transmission mount bracket that is unique to the AWD MT Outlander. The wrecker who sold me the Outlander lost the rear mounts and brackets for the tranny. It's a very, very hard part to find. I'm trying to find it used but apparently just 1 vehicle in North America has it and I can't reach the recycler

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-juptbch.jpg

VIN: JA4LZ31F66U028534 - MN168669 - Brand new from Mitsubishi in Canada it's about $172 CAD with 2 currently available in Toronto. In the US it's $85 USD but unavailable nation-wide and none are available in Japan either. Could be a 60 day wait if I buy from an American dealer

I might have to just bite the bullet on this one unless any of the auto recyclers see one appear on their radar.

The fabricator might still be able to gauge the fitment of the rear diff/drive-shaft based on how the transfer case sits now, but once the transmission is bolted up to the rear mount, the t-case might get lifted up a little... Could slightly throw things off.

Time's ticking. I hate blowing $172 on a part like this but I don't know at this point what other choice I have

The surgery takes place around the 5th of May. I have about 2 weeks to find this damn part.

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 19, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014 | 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

A friend recommended the EVO adapter and while it does appear very, very close...it's tough to judge from pictures alone if it's going to fit. I drew this up quick and it seems different enough that it's not going to work. I know the holes for the bracket itself are correct because the brackets are the same between the EVO and Outlander... The rest seems way off tho lol

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-2dvfog5.jpg

** EDIT i realize the EVO bracket i labelled is the wrong way up but I couldn't find a pic of it flat/right side up so i just mirrored it wrong side up lol, u get the idea

Here's the comparison on ASA

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-9ha1bjz.jpg

They are almost identical less than one piece that veers off to the side... i wonder if i can just cut that off

The equivalent EVO part # comes out to 1092A004 and is priced at $63.85 USD, so $20 cheaper than the Outlander version yet the EVO one uses more metal for that extra bolt hole and is overall a more complicated piece... how does that even make sense lol... still $85 USD for the Outlander piece beats paying $172 CAD for it... you Americans might think it's the snow & cold weather that'd **** you off... but it's how we pay so much more for our cars and car parts that grinds my gears

Last edited by doncarbone; Apr 19, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2014 | 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Bought the damn bracket new like a chump. No other options available. EVO one won't work, had someone do some measurements.

Few pictures from the other weekend:

Fuel sender unit from the EVO is far too big for the Outlander fuel tank as you can see. I might actually be best just using an EVO fuel tank being that I already have the fuel hanger, sender unit and a walbro 255lph ready for the EVO part of the project.

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-rknls0z.jpg

complements to fimotorsport for his fast delivery of the following (from an EVO 9):

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-z2r3tuf.jpg

transaxle is happy now

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-fkwui1k.jpg

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-dybqosv.jpg
Old Apr 22, 2014 | 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-hhn8rqa.jpg

this is a pic of the stock oz rally Lancer subframe setup. as u can see clearly the t-case wont pass through. those lines and the sway bar are in the way.. now you might be able to utilize the lancer crossmember... but i can't confirm if the EVO lines and sway bar will fit. we never bothered to check that.
Old Apr 26, 2014 | 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

April 26, 2014 Surgery Preparation:

Scraped out an area of dynamat today from where our welder/fabricator will be removing a section of the floor for the Outlander rear subframe.

Heat gun and a small sharp chisel and lots of patience was about the best I could come up with. This stuff is nasty:

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-xwm7qh8.jpg

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-bmip5ce.jpg

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-eoexlvd.jpg

About 15 lbs was removed.

Car is being towed this week to the shop where the we will begin working on the rear suspension subframe and differential.
Old May 8, 2014 | 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap-byiawzo.jpg

the rare piece of precious metal has been acquired.

Quick Reply: doncarbone's '03 OZ Rally -> '06 Ralliart engine swap