Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Buschur 2.3L BB FP Black Build Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur 2.3L BB FP Black Build Thoughts

Hey all,

So I have been putting together a build list and wanted to get people's opinions about it and thoughts about what they might change.

2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR SE

Current supporting mods to go along with the planned build:

Precision 1200 cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR
AMS Fuel Rail
Buschur Double Pumper
AMS FMIC
AWD ported stock turbo manifold
Invidia Test Pipe
Megan Ported o2 Housing
Fujita UICP and Intake
Injen LICP
Megan DP
HKS CF-Ti Exhaust
Hallman Pro MBC
EGR Block off Plate

Drivetrain
Evo VIII 5spd conversion
Exedy Twin HD
AMS Stainless Steel Clutch Line
AMS Front Motor Mount

Planned Buschur 2.3L Build:

Buschur 2.3L
Buschur Stage 3 Head
Buschur TB
Buschur Intake Manifold
Complete Upper and Lower Gasket Kit
ID 2000 Injectors
ARP L19 Studs
BB FP Black Ported
Tomei Pro 270 Cams
Tial Q 50mm BOV
Spooling Up COP
Cam Sensor Shield
Jegs Catch Can
Mitsu Oil Pump
Mitsu Water Pump
STM Oil Cooler Kit
Timing Belt
Koyo Radiator
E85/93Pump
Fortune Auto Coilovers
Touge Factory Limited Edition Enkei NT03+M's
Dunlop Direzza II's

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; May 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: cause
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a good list man! Are you staying on 93 pump, or switching to E85? I would suggest to go with a little bit bigger injectors
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Looks like a good list man! Are you staying on 93 pump, or switching to E85? I would suggest to go with a little bit bigger injectors
Thanks. I plan on having a dual tune oh and SD which I forgot but just added to the list
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dirch the br intake. Even br tells you its pointless and drops lowend torque... Or go with the rev3 by map if you must.

Also a cheap *** weapon r catch can is just as good at a jegs high dollar
Also an evo 8 water pump is 1/3 the price and works just as well. Its short the alt braket bolt hole which is the only diff. But the intake still bolts to it... Worked for the 8s and every 4g63 before so why not ours.
If you dont plan to delete the balance shafts make sure to get a kelvar bshaft belt.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
Dirch the br intake. Even br tells you its pointless and drops lowend torque... Or go with the rev3 by map if you must.

Also a cheap *** weapon r catch can is just as good at a jegs high dollar
Also an evo 8 water pump is 1/3 the price and works just as well. Its short the alt braket bolt hole which is the only diff. But the intake still bolts to it... Worked for the 8s and every 4g63 before so why not ours.
If you dont plan to delete the balance shafts make sure to get a kelvar bshaft belt.
Interesting I haven't heard that about the BR ported intake mani. Whats the difference between that one and the Rev3?

Right now the invoice on the build is $15k so paying for the Jegs can isn't going to bother me really

I got quoted $170 for the IX water pump, what does the VIII go for?

Balance shaft was gone in the first build I did and I have a Fluidamper, The balance shaft is eliminated in the Buschur 2.3L also.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Dave recommends the OEM timing belt over an aftermarket belt, FYI. I think I would do all of the timing belt components while your in there.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres what you do, tell dave what power you want, and he will tell you exactly what you need to get there

And your def gonna need bigger injectors
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

^agreed.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
Dave recommends the OEM timing belt over an aftermarket belt, FYI. I think I would do all of the timing belt components while your in there.
Yea, all that is happening while its all ripped apart.

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Heres what you do, tell dave what power you want, and he will tell you exactly what you need to get there

And your def gonna need bigger injectors
What I have on the list is what I'm looking to build without getting into $4-5k turbo set up territory so whatever power level it is its going to be more than my 2.0 HTA Green set up.

If I get tired of it or want more I'm just going to pull the trigger and pick up a GTR but I'm giving the Evo another round of fun for the time being

I have to double check on the injectors, they might, just might be 1600's and not 1200's... I forget for sure
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even 1600s will be too small on e85

Get id2000s and call it a day
Old Apr 2, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

You made a nice list that will add up quickly. Only things that I see that you may want to reconsider is from what I understand you do not need a fuel rail unless its for looks, the stock is good for sub 700ish HP. Also take a look at ETS intercooler and piping kit. I just got mine in the mail and its flawless, you can look at it in my build thread at the bottom of my post.

As for cams, I cannot speak on the tomi, but I just picked up a set of GSC R2 which are for strokers and look to be very promising. Call english racing if you want to know more or look on the forums about them.

I have always been loyal to certain vendors because of customer service and results they have provided. This forum offers many great vendors and tuners, MAPerformance, English Racing, Bushur, Spec Ops to name a few.

If you like Bushur, I know they offer tons of services that you could maybe get a better deal on such as all porting work if you also buy the short block from them. I also recomend looking through the forums for the HP level you are looking to reach and use their formula which is proven with certain part combo's.

Good luck with your build, once you pull the trigger, you wont regret it!

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Hey all,

So I have been putting together a build list and wanted to get people's opinions about it and thoughts about what they might change.

2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR SE

Current supporting mods to go along with the planned build:

Precision 1200 cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR
AMS Fuel Rail
Buschur Double Pumper
AMS FMIC
AWD ported stock turbo manifold
Invidia Test Pipe
Megan Ported o2 Housing
Fujita UICP and Intake
Injen LICP
Megan DP
HKS CF-Ti Exhaust
Hallman Pro MBC
EGR Block off Plate

Drivetrain
Evo VIII 5spd conversion
Exedy Twin HD
AMS Stainless Steel Clutch Line
AMS Front Motor Mount

Planned Buschur 2.3L Build:

Buschur 2.3L
Buschur Stage 3 Head
Buschur TB
Buschur Intake Manifold
Complete Upper and Lower Gasket Kit
ARP L19 Studs
BB FP Black Ported
Tomei Pro 270 Cams
Tial Q 50mm BOV
Spooling Up COP
Cam Sensor Shield
Jegs Catch Can
Mitsu Oil Pump
Mitsu Water Pump
STM Oil Cooler Kit
Timing Belt
Koyo Radiator
Speed Density dual map tune E85/93Pump

I think that I have a pretty solid grasp on the right parts for this build but would like to hear what everyone thinks, thanks in advance.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, if you aren't going to go bigger than the fp green, I would use the $15k-20k as a downpayment on a GTR and sell your evo for another big piece of it. The Evo will be faster with the same turbo, but not $15k worth of faster.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Nice build! What kind of power you looking to put down?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Interesting I haven't heard that about the BR ported intake mani. Whats the difference between that one and the Rev3?

Right now the invoice on the build is $15k so paying for the Jegs can isn't going to bother me really

I got quoted $170 for the IX water pump, what does the VIII go for?

Balance shaft was gone in the first build I did and I have a Fluidamper, The balance shaft is eliminated in the Buschur 2.3L also.
I saw an oem pump for cheaper than that I can't remember the site though :/

Get the 9 pump, the 8 and 9 water pump have a slight difference to the where the 9 has a different mounting point on them or some bs

Other than that, your setup looks pretty good man. Looking forward to seeing a build/dyno thread in the future!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by craig05evo
You made a nice list that will add up quickly. Only things that I see that you may want to reconsider is from what I understand you do not need a fuel rail unless its for looks, the stock is good for sub 700ish HP. Also take a look at ETS intercooler and piping kit. I just got mine in the mail and its flawless, you can look at it in my build thread at the bottom of my post.

As for cams, I cannot speak on the tomi, but I just picked up a set of GSC R2 which are for strokers and look to be very promising. Call english racing if you want to know more or look on the forums about them.

I have always been loyal to certain vendors because of customer service and results they have provided. This forum offers many great vendors and tuners, MAPerformance, English Racing, Bushur, Spec Ops to name a few.

If you like Bushur, I know they offer tons of services that you could maybe get a better deal on such as all porting work if you also buy the short block from them. I also recomend looking through the forums for the HP level you are looking to reach and use their formula which is proven with certain part combo's.

Good luck with your build, once you pull the trigger, you wont regret it!
The whole section that you quoted shows you what I already have on the car, ie: UCIP and LICP, fuel rail, I know it wasnt needed but I bought it for looks a few years ago, etc etc...

I stay loyal to a few companies as well who have proven track records. AWD Motorsports who is local to me has done all of my work since I have owned the car and I have been real happy with them and they are doing this build for me.

They have always potined me in the right direction and have a really good relationship with Dave@Buschur so I know I will be getting a good deal.

Originally Posted by SDevo13
Honestly, if you aren't going to go bigger than the fp green, I would use the $15k-20k as a downpayment on a GTR and sell your evo for another big piece of it. The Evo will be faster with the same turbo, but not $15k worth of faster.
You misunderstood, I just sold me JB FP Green HTA and I am upgrading to the BB FP BLack for the 2.3 build.

I just paid off the Evo this past month and was heavily debating selling it and putting the cash down I am going to be spending on the GTR but decided to go one more round with the Evo since I now own it outright.

A lot of people dont take into consideration when getting into a GTR the fact that if you grenade the trans its $15k+... The brakes are $15k to replace, etc, etc... Same goes for people trying to get into Evos, they simply dont take into consideration the maintenance aspect.

So, that being said this build will be quite a bit more power than I had with my 2.0 and HTA Green. If I get bored of it I will sell the Evo and get the GTR.

Originally Posted by 4drboost
Nice build! What kind of power you looking to put down?
Its going to be somewhere around 600+ if I want to push the turbo. I'm going to push it to see the peak numbers and then probably dial it back a bit so I dont grenade another motor.

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
I saw an oem pump for cheaper than that I can't remember the site though :/

Get the 9 pump, the 8 and 9 water pump have a slight difference to the where the 9 has a different mounting point on them or some bs

Other than that, your setup looks pretty good man. Looking forward to seeing a build/dyno thread in the future!
Yea, considering how much I am spending getting the 9 pump isnt going to kill me and I would rather have the exact part I need.

I will have a build thread which will include pics, dyno video, dyno sheets, etc just as I have with the other build I did

Quick Reply: Buschur 2.3L BB FP Black Build Thoughts