Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by whtrice
That is good the hear...handle as good as a FiST? Where is the other one? Did you lease them? Any have a DSG?
I don't have a ton of miles in the GTI yet but the FiST felt much lighter on its feet (300lbs lighter) and had more traction. The GTI is much more refined than the FiST was.

GTI is a base with 6 speed manual. I wish it had the Performance pack (LSD and Golf R brakes) and DSG but I couldn't say no to the deal. It's totally stock but I plan on tuning it soon.

Golf Alltrack is DSG and AWD. I love it. I bought it new in 2018. 10k off MSRP as they weren't selling. It's a great mix of comfort, sport, tech and tons of room. It was a blast to drive across the country when we moved from CA to NJ. DSG is flashed by TVS and makes Mitsu's SST feel ancient. I tuned the ECU with Eurodyne.

The other VW is a 2012 Passat. I actually ended up liking it way more than I thought it would. It has 130k miles on it and still feels solid. It's a joy to drive around on the extremely horrible roads here in NJ. The roads here actually took a lot of joy out of driving for me as I was always dodging pot holes and it stressed me out. With the Passat there is no F's given and it just soaks every thing up. That said, I am going to sell it soon as I don't need four cars.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
why the love of VAG may i ask? LOL
Old Dec 14, 2020, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
why the love of VAG may i ask? LOL
I've actually had VW's most of my life. I learned how to drive in a 1984 Rabbit GTI (My fathers) and bought a 1989 Fox Wagon GL as my first ever car. Then I found Mitsubishis.

I wouldn't say I "love" them but I enjoy them. I skipped the bad generations (3-4). The biggest problem with VW's is that it's a roll of the dice if you get a good one. My 2013 TDI was a pile of crap and literally the most boring car I have ever owned.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I don't have a ton of miles in the GTI yet but the FiST felt much lighter on its feet (300lbs lighter) and had more traction. The GTI is much more refined than the FiST was.

GTI is a base with 6 speed manual. I wish it had the Performance pack (LSD and Golf R brakes) and DSG but I couldn't say no to the deal. It's totally stock but I plan on tuning it soon.

Golf Alltrack is DSG and AWD. I love it. I bought it new in 2018. 10k off MSRP as they weren't selling. It's a great mix of comfort, sport, tech and tons of room. It was a blast to drive across the country when we moved from CA to NJ. DSG is flashed by TVS and makes Mitsu's SST feel ancient. I tuned the ECU with Eurodyne.

The other VW is a 2012 Passat. I actually ended up liking it way more than I thought it would. It has 130k miles on it and still feels solid. It's a joy to drive around on the extremely horrible roads here in NJ. The roads here actually took a lot of joy out of driving for me as I was always dodging pot holes and it stressed me out. With the Passat there is no F's given and it just soaks every thing up. That said, I am going to sell it soon as I don't need four cars.
I may have to look at them again (most over $32K with perf pak) when my lease is up on my 2020 Hyundai N-line. I had FiST withdrawals and looked for a similarly priced performance buy.
Closest thing US gets to an I30. DCT so my wife can drive it. I'd say it is 8 tenths a ST is.
I run it on E30 with a Scorcher piggyback since good tuning is expensive and requires a spare ECU. I know VW tuning options are far better and achieve great gains as well.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
why was the mk6r so bad? was it the chassis? on paper it seemed to line up with the evo, but when i drove them back to back it was plain dangerous driving the evo due to how quick the steering was and how well it turned

obviously a different car and the evo was more modded, but i didnt feel that way, for example, with me e92 m3

sorry, so OT i know
Old Dec 14, 2020, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

I may have to look at them again (most over $32K with perf pak) when my lease is up on my 2020 Hyundai N-line. I had FiST withdrawals and looked for a similarly priced performance buy.
Closest thing US gets to an I30. DCT so my wife can drive it. I'd say it is 8 tenths a ST is.
I run it on E30 with a Scorcher piggyback since good tuning is expensive and requires a spare ECU. I know VW tuning options are far better and achieve great gains as well.
Don't buy a VW new, they drop like a rock. Great second hand buys. Only reason I bought the Alltrack brand new was because it was $10k off MSRP. Even with that, I'm still upside down on the loan. lmao.

I was looking at the Veloster N as my next car before the GTI deal came across my path.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
why was the mk6r so bad? was it the chassis? on paper it seemed to line up with the evo, but when i drove them back to back it was plain dangerous driving the evo due to how quick the steering was and how well it turned

obviously a different car and the evo was more modded, but i didnt feel that way, for example, with me e92 m3

sorry, so OT i know
100% chassis. MQB is the best thing VW has done in decades. That said, none of these are evo competitors. Few cars are.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Don't buy a VW new, they drop like a rock. Great second hand buys. Only reason I bought the Alltrack brand new was because it was $10k off MSRP. Even with that, I'm still upside down on the loan. lmao.

I was looking at the Veloster N as my next car before the GTI deal came across my path.
Oh I would lease. All these TGDI cars and their carbon issues. After 36K and I'll make it someone else's issue.
Did you get to drive an N? I still think they look too "star trekky" for me.
I am just pissed US didn't get the I30N because I would be driving one now.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh I would lease. All these TGDI cars and their carbon issues. After 36K and I'll make it someone else's issue.
Did you get to drive an N? I still think they look too "star trekky" for me.
I am just pissed US didn't get the I30N because I would be driving one now.
The N's look better in real life. Agree on the I30N.

The only thing I hated about the N was the interior. All plastic. The 2021 has some nice bucket seats now but they are asking WAYYYYY too much for that car now. $34k!!!

For FWD, the GTI with PP is the only one to get if you have your choice. That said, if I was buying a VW as my primary fun performance car I would get the Golf R without a doubt.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
I drove the I30N a couple of times and never liked it much. It is ok on dry, but in any kind of slippery conditions it is a bag of uncontrolled wheelspin.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 04:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I drove the I30N a couple of times and never liked it much. It is ok on dry, but in any kind of slippery conditions it is a bag of uncontrolled wheelspin.
That’s every fwd car
Old Dec 15, 2020, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Man.... Now you got me looking at newer GolfR's to daily. I just paid my truck off too....LOL
Old Dec 15, 2020, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Man.... Now you got me looking at newer GolfR's to daily. I just paid my truck off too....LOL
2018+ with the digital dash is dope
Old Dec 15, 2020, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
2018+ with the digital dash is dope
I've been looking at a few different cars. Everything about the GolfR is pretty nice except the size, and they aren't the easiest to find either. By contrast, a used Q50 sport or Acura TLX are everywhere.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
That’s every fwd car
every modern one.... we were blessed with some real nice powerfull fwd cars from the likes of renault that really drove well and were tail happy on demand... Latest offerings are, sadly, dull if the conditions are not right..

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)