Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does inspection out there entail exactly? Like just a road safety deal or...?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzykdd
Out of curiosity, what does inspection out there entail exactly? Like just a road safety deal or...?
For both my VW's, they put it on the lift, took off one front wheel, checked suspension components. Checked for cat. Opened hood, looked around for like 2 seconds. Plugged in OBD2 and checked readiness tests. Done

I honestly cannot believe they did all that for only $21. They must get some type of incentives from the state for inspections because I would NEVER do all that labor for only $21.

He did tell me the alltrack had a ripped ball joint and I thanked him for letting me know. I might actually have them replace it just to give them some money.

Today with my Evo, literally the only thing they did was plug in ODB2 and checked readiness tests. No lift, no popping the hood or checking for a cat. Either they where more in a rush, figured I took care of the car from the looks of it, or are into modifed cars so they didn't care. Either way, was great. He did chat me up about the car and we started talking about local race tracks and such so I think they have a soft spot for modded cars.

I guess I found a good inspection place.
The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
shinyrat (Nov 2, 2021), whtrice (Jul 23, 2021)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

I honestly cannot believe they did all that for only $21. They must get some type of incentives from the state for inspections because I would NEVER do all that labor for only $21.

He did tell me the alltrack had a ripped ball joint and I thanked him for letting me know. I might actually have them replace it just to give them some money.
They probably do or are mandated by the state somehow to keep that pricing low. I had to do a brake and lamp inspection on the SAAB after it got wrecked, the hard part was finding a shop that was certified by the state to do that! I think they charged only like $25-$30 to do it IIRC. OR it could just be they figure they charge that much and on average find something on the car that needs attention that would be a sell for them, like your balljoint

Honestly, I wish CA would require a road safety check with the smog inspection, you'd be amazed the amount of people I see, driving around with shot tires, worn out brakes, etc and even in the winter. And these people share the road with you!

Today with my Evo, literally the only thing they did was plug in ODB2 and checked readiness tests. No lift, no popping the hood or checking for a cat. Either they where more in a rush, figured I took care of the car from the looks of it, or are into modifed cars so they didn't care. Either way, was great. He did chat me up about the car and we started talking about local race tracks and such so I think they have a soft spot for modded cars.

I guess I found a good inspection place.
Nice! Always makes you feel better when you get to talk about cars...
The following users liked this post:
whtrice (Jul 23, 2021)
Old Jul 24, 2021, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
How does yoir car make 20 whp per psi of boost (100whp doffer mce between 24 and 29 psi) , most evo xs I see make right around 10whp per additional psi
Old Jul 24, 2021, 05:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
How does yoir car make 20 whp per psi of boost (100whp doffer mce between 24 and 29 psi) , most evo xs I see make right around 10whp per additional psi
It’s not just psi changes between the maps
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 127 Posts
After hijacking the fuel tank pressure sensor for 0-5v ethanol input I noticed with Torque Pro via OBDII it said that emissions readiness for EVAP wasn't ready.
I haven't gone back and checked, but is this a problem for NY inspection?
I am WAY over due now.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Put down the rest of the tile in the garage. Finished painting the back wall which made a world of difference. Started putting up lights. I put eight up and it helped it feel less like a dungeon but I think I am going to put eight more up to help illuminate the front half.

This will also help for when I get back to working on the Evo.

The following 6 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Biggiesacks (Aug 9, 2021), codgi (Jul 29, 2021), Crzykdd (Jul 27, 2021), EVO196 (Jul 26, 2021), Jaraxle (Jul 25, 2021), mikemike396 (Aug 4, 2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Jul 27, 2021, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

8 lights looks like plenty good already from the photos. Did you wire those up yourself or have an electrician help install them?

- Jason
Old Jul 27, 2021, 04:54 PM
EvoM Guru

8 lights looks like plenty good already from the photos. Did you wire those up yourself or have an electrician help install them?

- Jason
I installed them. They are plug-in units.

The front half is light up well, but the back half of the garage (towards the garage doors) is still a bit dark, especially at night
Old Jul 28, 2021, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

The front half is light up well, but the back half of the garage (towards the garage doors) is still a bit dark, especially at night
Ahh yes, I see what you are talking about, rechecking the photos..
Old Aug 3, 2021, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

If you can believe it, I've actually been enjoying the car the last week or so! Been taking it on some exploratory drives around our new area. The roads here in the mid-hudson area of New York are surprisingly good. Lots of rolling hills and big open farm spaces. Big difference from the very flat and absolutely horrible condition roads of New Jersey.

Been meaning to grab some photos and/or videos. I'm going to pull my injectors and get them serviced before I keep going. The car sat for two years so this is overdue.
The following 3 users liked this post by RazorLab:
EVO196 (Aug 4, 2021), Jaraxle (Aug 3, 2021), mikemike396 (Aug 4, 2021)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If you can believe it, I've actually been enjoying the car the last week or so! Been taking it on some exploratory drives around our new area. The roads here in the mid-hudson area of New York are surprisingly good. Lots of rolling hills and big open farm spaces. Big difference from the very flat and absolutely horrible condition roads of New Jersey.

Been meaning to grab some photos and/or videos. I'm going to pull my injectors and get them serviced before I keep going. The car sat for two years so this is overdue.
Hudson Valley has some decent roads for sure, in Harriman state park there are a number of solid roads including my favorite (arden Valley road) so if you haven't checked it out give it a try! P. S. How much timing do you run above 6k rpms on ethanol?
Jaraxle (Aug 4, 2021)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 06:01 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts

Evo....fun to drive?? Nah you're full of it I'm glad its bringing you some joy again .
Old Aug 4, 2021, 07:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
P. S. How much timing do you run above 6k rpms on ethanol?
Back in California when I was getting E79-E80 consistently, I would run 9* at 6k and 13*-14* out the top after 8k, at 29psi https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/sedyno...&zoom=795-1154

This is with 10:1 CR.

Now on the East Coast, my local E85 station is currently giving me E68-E69 so I took out 1-2* overall. I'm also running a CNC ported head with larger valves now. I also went from a 5858 Gen 1 to a 5558 Gen 2.

Last edited by razorlab; Aug 4, 2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Ahh yes, I see what you are talking about, rechecking the photos..
Took some photos at night so you can see how much darker it is towards the doors. I had eight more lights delivered so this will change soon.

Crzykdd (Aug 4, 2021)

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)