Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lookin' good man, glad to see the car running. i saw your name pop up on ASL community fb page so i had to figure out which message board still existed to find your build thread.

mo
Old Aug 7, 2021, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by momostallion
lookin' good man, glad to see the car running. i saw your name pop up on ASL community fb page so i had to figure out which message board still existed to find your build thread.

mo
Been awhile! Still have the Evo?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Been doing some datalogging the last couple weeks. Some interesting findings.

The car now has a CNC ported head, +1mm larger valves, GSC S2 cams, 5558 Gen 2 PTE turbo

Before it had a stock port head, stock size valves, Kelford B cams, 5858 Gen 1 PTE turbo.

I've had to add +20% more wastegate duty cycle 6500rpm+ to match the same 27 psi boost to 8,000 rpm I was running before. I'm going to contribute this more because of the turbo change and the smaller compressor, at least that is my current thinking.

The 5558 Gen 2 feels way more responsive than the 5858 and the 5858 didn't really feel bad to me. In fact, I think it feels great on the street, it doesn't feel laggy at all for the power it puts out. I haven't logged a low RPM pull yet but I will soon.

There is one E85 station local to me (7 miles away). It's only been giving me E67 which is kind of a bummer but at least I have an E85 station decently close. I've had to take out 1-2* of ignition timing because of this. In California, I was getting a consistent E78-E79.

There is another E85 station 14 miles away that I will try out soon but I'm expecting it to be the same.

Last edited by razorlab; Aug 7, 2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Been awhile! Still have the Evo?
Nah. I put it 98% back to stock, sold all the mods separately, then the car last.

Ultimately had a couple of bad track weekends last year, nothing major, just annoying. Trip 1 the brake duct cut the outer cv boot. Trip 2, I showed up on a rando mix of e85 combined with not having spent much time tuning in 2 years, I threw together a modified track tune and just went too "safe" on timing which ultimately ruined the PT5858. Precision Turbo must have been closed at the start of the pandy cause I couldn't get the turbo sent in for for 3 months. By the time the turbo got back good as new with a new stainless steel hot-side, I decided to move on from the platform. I was getting less interested in tracking the car and I saw how sideways s**t goes if you don't OCD everything and be super prepared before a track day.

Happy to have enjoyed it for 9 years, 54k miles, several track weekends. Managed to never really destroy anything too major, even preserved the stock clutch! Even the motor compression tested beautifully when I was tossing the original spark plugs back it. I just count myself as lucky! The values went nuts so the whole cost of ownership ended up being less than $1k a year. I moved on to a GT car and will likely just cycle through a bunch of the cars I had on my want to have list.

Last edited by momostallion; Aug 7, 2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 7, 2021, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

The 5558 Gen 2 feels way more responsive than the 5858 and the 5858 didn't really feel bad to me. In fact, I think it feels great on the street, it doesn't feel laggy at all for the power it puts out. I haven't logged a low RPM pull yet but I will soon
I was curious about that turbo. I remember you had just got it then put the car back under covers. I thought about getting that turbo but the dude said he could fix mine up as good as new and tossed on a new turbine housing (guess they finally made a .63 AR stainless hotside after I pleaded for a few years!)
Old Aug 8, 2021, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Nah. I put it 98% back to stock, sold all the mods separately, then the car last.

Ultimately had a couple of bad track weekends last year, nothing major, just annoying. Trip 1 the brake duct cut the outer cv boot. Trip 2, I showed up on a rando mix of e85 combined with not having spent much time tuning in 2 years, I threw together a modified track tune and just went too "safe" on timing which ultimately ruined the PT5858. Precision Turbo must have been closed at the start of the pandy cause I couldn't get the turbo sent in for for 3 months. By the time the turbo got back good as new with a new stainless steel hot-side, I decided to move on from the platform. I was getting less interested in tracking the car and I saw how sideways s**t goes if you don't OCD everything and be super prepared before a track day.

Happy to have enjoyed it for 9 years, 54k miles, several track weekends. Managed to never really destroy anything too major, even preserved the stock clutch! Even the motor compression tested beautifully when I was tossing the original spark plugs back it. I just count myself as lucky! The values went nuts so the whole cost of ownership ended up being less than $1k a year. I moved on to a GT car and will likely just cycle through a bunch of the cars I had on my want to have list.
I hear you. I've almost done the same thing a couple of times over the last three years. What car do you have now?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Took out my ID1700 injectors to send them out to get cleaned. These have only seen E70-E80. Zero pump gas. Sat for two years.

Visually look clean. We'll see what the flow tests show.

Old Aug 8, 2021, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you. I've almost done the same thing a couple of times over the last three years. What car do you have now?
I picked up an '14 Aston Martin V8 Vantage now. Local deal popped up right before values took off.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

I picked up an '14 Aston Martin V8 Vantage now. Local deal popped up right before values took off.
I've started to hear good things about those. They have dry sump right? I can't imagine parts are cheap though.

I'll probably end up in a BRZ or TTRS in the next year or so. For now I am enjoying the Evo again.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Been doing some datalogging the last couple weeks. Some interesting findings.

The car now has a CNC ported head, +1mm larger valves, GSC S2 cams, 5558 Gen 2 PTE turbo

Before it had a stock port head, stock size valves, Kelford B cams, 5858 Gen 1 PTE turbo.

I've had to add +20% more wastegate duty cycle 6500rpm+ to match the same 27 psi boost to 8,000 rpm I was running before. I'm going to contribute this more because of the turbo change and the smaller compressor, at least that is my current thinking.

The 5558 Gen 2 feels way more responsive than the 5858 and the 5858 didn't really feel bad to me. In fact, I think it feels great on the street, it doesn't feel laggy at all for the power it puts out. I haven't logged a low RPM pull yet but I will soon.

There is one E85 station local to me (7 miles away). It's only been giving me E67 which is kind of a bummer but at least I have an E85 station decently close. I've had to take out 1-2* of ignition timing because of this. In California, I was getting a consistent E78-E79.

There is another E85 station 14 miles away that I will try out soon but I'm expecting it to be the same.
You had to raise WGDC due to greatly increased VE. The gen2 5558 out flows the 5858.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

I've started to hear good things about those. They have dry sump right? I can't imagine parts are cheap though.
Yea they are cool cars, has been one of my favorite designs along with the Audi R8 which I'd also like to spend some time with. Obviously the exterior is cool but IMO the interior is just as good. The later models (>2012) are the ones to look at IMO. You get a 4.7L 420hp motor instead of 4.3L/380hp but it's not fast. But at least you also get 6 pot Brembos up front, 4s in rear. As always, the 6MT transmission is the best choice.

You are correct, higher revving dry sump setup, and also right again, parts costs are nuts and dealer service is quite expensive. They have a few quirks but the good news is they don't have have any major expensive problems sans their Sports Shift single clutch auto-manual trans. My goal is to put about a couple thousand miles on it, enjoy it for ~9 months and sell/trade for another car before it's due for next annual service.

I'll probably end up in a BRZ or TTRS in the next year or so. For now I am enjoying the Evo again.
Yea man, your evo has a lot of time and $ invested but I'm really happy it's up and running now and able to be enjoyed. It's got a collection of badass parts on it too, it's about the perfect setup. I know because it's just like mine was, but with a built motor, a better turbo, better brakes and more fuel (aka more power). Should be a great street car and can still double duty on track.

I'm helping my buddy who bought most of my evo X parts. They are all on his car now but he is waiting to get in at Kozmic for an SST build+upgrade. I'm excited for him to get this setup running. Also have another friend with a track evo 8 that I'm going to help get setup a bit better + install my race capture setup in.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You had to raise WGDC due to greatly increased VE. The gen2 5558 out flows the 5858.
Probably more so from the ported head, larger valves and bigger cams. The 5558 isn't that much different than the 5858.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Probably more so from the ported head, larger valves and bigger cams. The 5558 isn't that much different than the 5858.
No, I think its rated at like 640-650 vs 610 IIRC. Its definitely the added flow from the new head combo.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Its definitely the added flow from the new head combo.
It definitely feels stronger up top. Once I get injectors back in I'll try and do some solid 3rd gear logs and run them through vdyno.

I'm also finally upgrading the rest of the fuel system. Adding Radium fuel rail, Damper, FPR, and FINALLY installing my radium feed line with filter that I've had in a box for like four years. lol
Old Aug 9, 2021, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Would be cool to see some VD overlays. I'm sure its making a decent bit more power.

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)