Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Spent all day doing things...

Installed my -3AN wastegate lines.

Swapped OEM fpr for another OEM fpr.

Took off fuel rail, flushed and cleaned. Installed ID1300cc injectors.

Checked inline JEGS SS fuel filter. Was slightly dirty but nothing close to blocking flow. Cleaned that filter out just in case.

Swapped OEM fuel hanger for Radium fuel hanger. Just as an FYI to anybody, the Radium fuel hanger is NOT plug and play whatsoever to OEM feed and return fuel lines. So plan before you install.

Currently I'm finding it hard to find space for my ethanol sensor. Will work on it more tomorrow...

Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab

Checked inline JEGS SS fuel filter. Was slightly dirty but nothing close to blocking flow. Cleaned that filter out just in case.

Swapped OEM fuel hanger for Radium fuel hanger. Just as an FYI to anybody, the Radium fuel hanger is NOT plug and play whatsoever to OEM feed and return fuel lines. So plan before you install.

Currently I'm finding it hard to find space for my ethanol sensor. Will work on it more tomorrow...

With those bulky hoses coming out of the fuel hanger, how do you plan on sealing that port from road noise, dirt , etc? I'm guessing the factory metal cover does not fit.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts

Can you summarize what fittings are needed to connect to OEM feed and return? I am looking at getting this from radium.

​​​
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Can you summarize what fittings are needed to connect to OEM feed and return? I am looking at getting this from radium.

​​​
For OEM feed/return fittings (No surge tank) you would need a -8AN ORB to 3/8” S
AE Male
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
How's the fitment with connecting the blueflex to the radium surge tank?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
For OEM feed/return fittings (No surge tank) you would need a -8AN ORB to 3/8” S
AE Male
For feed -8an ORB to 3/8" SAE male and for return -6an ORB to 1/4" SAE male ?

Radium makes the 3/8" one, but I cannot find the 1/4" SAE male fitting anywhere. Where the heck did you find whatever your using?

Last edited by Jaraxle; Aug 6, 2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wrong dimensions
Old Aug 6, 2017, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

So I went out today and put some more miles on the engine now that I figured out my fuel pressure problem. Here is the tank top all sorted out with the Radium fuel pump hanger, the Radium surge tank connections and the continental ethanol sensor.

I also started my break-in pulls. At first I was like "uhm, this feels really quick for wastegate, no timing and not full throttle..." Loaded one into v-dyno and wow, this thing is going to make some power when I get to lean on it!

This is 60% throttle, revving to 6800, wastegate boost (19-20 psi at 0% WGDC), no timing (9* at 6800rpm), 11.5 afr, and easing into the throttle:

The car feels WAY more responsive than I anticipated. The turbo spools fast for what it is, way faster than I thought it would.

Here is the engine bay as of right now. I still need to install my Tial QRJ bov and some other little things. I ended up picking up a RA engine cover to go with the rest of the black theme.

Installed -3AN SS lines for my EBCS hoses:

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
For feed -8an ORB to 3/8" SAE male and for return -6an ORB to 1/4" SAE male ?

Radium makes the 3/8" one, but I cannot find the 1/4" SAE male fitting anywhere. Where the heck did you find whatever your using?
The hanger actually comes with a -6AN to hose fitting for the return, I overlooked it yesterday. Check out my updated photo above (it's the brass colored return line fitting).

So all you need is the -8AN ORB to 3/8" SAE Male fitting. I bet if you called them and *****ed they would include it. To Radium's credit, after I sent an email and *****ed they offered to send me the fitting free of charge. I had already ordered one off Amazon so I didn't take them up on the offer.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

This thing is going to rip when it's all said and done. Stoked for final results
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
What was the cause of the high fuel pressure. Are the hoses passing through the fuel pump hanger portal for the surge tank? Are you going to build some sort of custom cover?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Started to up the boost a little more and rev it out more.

Haven't touched timing yet. approx 6* at 4800rpm and 12* at 8200rpm.

18 to 23 to 22 psi. Lazy curve, I just set it at 20% wgdc across and that's what I got. Didn't start the pull from low rpm either. I didn't really touch the fueling yet either.

It's making power, that's for sure. Even this map will be great on track. This is E65. My hunch was right, I need bigger injectors. Right now at 8300 rpm, the 1300cc injectors are at 91%. They are going to max quick with more ethanol and boost.

The weight is higher on this chart because there was another person in the car with me this time.

Old Aug 8, 2017, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Started to up the boost a little more and rev it out more.

Haven't touched timing yet. approx 6* at 4800rpm and 12* at 8200rpm.

18 to 23 to 22 psi. Lazy curve, I just set it at 20% wgdc across and that's what I got. Didn't start the pull from low rpm either. I didn't really touch the fueling yet either.

It's making power, that's for sure. Even this map will be great on track. This is E65. My hunch was right, I need bigger injectors. Right now at 8300 rpm, the 1300cc injectors are at 91%. They are going to max quick with more ethanol and boost.

The weight is higher on this chart because there was another person in the car with me this time.

Whats the absolute max psi of boost you're willing to run on this setup?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 07:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Whats the absolute max psi of boost you're willing to run on this setup?
24 on track and 28-32 on the street.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Someone else asked this, but after all the fuel pressure issues, what ended up being the culprit?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Someone else asked this, but after all the fuel pressure issues, what ended up being the culprit?
*shrug*

I was in the mode that I was going to install things eventually so I just did and like magic the problem went away. One of the few times throwing parts at the problem fixed it.

I swapped FPR (OEM to OEM), injectors (ID1000 to ID1300) and fuel hanger (OEM to Radium).

Perhaps I missed something in the OEM hanger. I'll go through it when I get some time. I have an extra one so I can cut this one apart all I want.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
*shrug*

I was in the mode that I was going to install things eventually so I just did and like magic the problem went away. One of the few times throwing parts at the problem fixed it.

I swapped FPR (OEM to OEM), injectors (ID1000 to ID1300) and fuel hanger (OEM to Radium).

Perhaps I missed something in the OEM hanger. I'll go through it when I get some time. I have an extra one so I can cut this one apart all I want.
Main thing is it's all better now.......you are driving again. You're allot less timid then I would be with the rpm's on a fresh build (8K!!!). I know "break in" philosophies abound. Don't forget to have the head re-torqued after some miles. Just your preliminary results look like you are going to have a nice stout "trak bic II" hooptie again.

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)