Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would there be any way they'd be responsible for the potential damage? That seems like a really bad idea.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Rubber is either chillin in the head, or the oil pan, or somewhere in between. Pull the valve cover and oil pan and take a look.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn what a build...sucks that the POS check valve rubber got lost somewhere in the motor..id be losing sleep over that..keep us posted!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
So I went out today and put some more miles on the engine now that I figured out my fuel pressure problem. Here is the tank top all sorted out with the Radium fuel pump hanger, the Radium surge tank connections and the continental ethanol sensor.

I also started my break-in pulls. At first I was like "uhm, this feels really quick for wastegate, no timing and not full throttle..." Loaded one into v-dyno and wow, this thing is going to make some power when I get to lean on it!

This is 60% throttle, revving to 6800, wastegate boost (19-20 psi at 0% WGDC), no timing (9* at 6800rpm), 11.5 afr, and easing into the throttle:

The car feels WAY more responsive than I anticipated. The turbo spools fast for what it is, way faster than I thought it would.

Here is the engine bay as of right now. I still need to install my Tial QRJ bov and some other little things. I ended up picking up a RA engine cover to go with the rest of the black theme.

Installed -3AN SS lines for my EBCS hoses:

The hanger actually comes with a -6AN to hose fitting for the return, I overlooked it yesterday. Check out my updated photo above (it's the brass colored return line fitting).

So all you need is the -8AN ORB to 3/8" SAE Male fitting. I bet if you called them and *****ed they would include it. To Radium's credit, after I sent an email and *****ed they offered to send me the fitting free of charge. I had already ordered one off Amazon so I didn't take them up on the offer.
The only brass colored fitting that was included in the kit I received is a -6AN ORB (and so could be screwed in return feed port) but it is the interchange fitting for tuning the venturi pump. If that is the fitting you used (with the small drilled hole in it), then that is probably what caused your sky high fuel pressure. It would restrict your return fuel.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 08:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
The only brass colored fitting that was included in the kit I received is a -6AN ORB (and so could be screwed in return feed port) but it is the interchange fitting for tuning the venturi pump. If that is the fitting you used (with the small drilled hole in it), then that is probably what caused your sky high fuel pressure. It would restrict your return fuel.
I think you might be getting my timeline of events mixed up. I never had any fuel pressure issues after moving to the Radium fuel pump hanger, in fact moving to it solved the fuel pressure problem.

I'll check that brass fitting, as you might be right that it's a smaller exit hole than -6AN, that would be funny, even though I have had zero issues.

Last edited by razorlab; Aug 25, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

I think you might be getting my timeline of events mixed up. I never had any fuel pressure issues after moving to the Radium fuel pump hanger, in fact moving to it solved the fuel pressure problem.

I'll check that brass fitting, as you might be right that it's a smaller exit hole than -6AN, that would be funny, even though I have had zero issues.
Please remove that brass fitting in return port and look at it. It has a small hole in it. It will restrict the flow and best case make the venturi pump hardly work. Worst case it will affect your fuel pressure at rail. If that is the fitting I think it is then that is crazy that it hasn't caused a problem yet!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

I think we both need to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272636185369
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Please remove that brass fitting in return port and look at it. It has a small hole in it. It will restrict the flow and best case make the venturi pump hardly work. Worst case it will affect your fuel pressure at rail. If that is the fitting I think it is then that is crazy that it hasn't caused a problem yet!
Yea I believe you, now that I think back I did notice the fitting being smaller than I imagined but was rushed to get everything back together. The car has just been sitting since my dip stick and fuel pump incident so I haven't even been driving it.

Still cleaning oil out of everything!

I think we both need to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272636185369
Yea I already have that and a 3/8" one on order.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Okay I'm about to put this damn car up for sale. Getting sick of it.

So the car has been sitting for two weeks... I cannot get the car to want to stay running now. I had this happen last time a couple weeks ago after it had been sitting for a week or two as well but after starting it a bunch it stayed running finally. This time, nope.

First couple starts all it would do is crank and crank, then after the third or fourth, the car would start, revs would go up, then it runs for three to four seconds then it just dies. Every single time. I have no idea what is going on.

Here is a log of it starting and then dying a couple times. The forth one I tried to give it more tps and it just sputtered and died again.

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/startth...3&zoom=27-2230

btw, this is what my walbro 450 looked like in my surge tank before I replaced it today. This had been sitting in E85 for a full year undisturbed (car was down). The walbro 255 that was in my OEM fuel tank looked normal and had been sitting for the same amount of time. Is this because of the aluminum surge tank???

Old Aug 27, 2017, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

What the heck. A call to radium is in order. Not to beat that drum (yet will again) you removed the brass return fitting that is actually a Venturi tuning fitting?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

WNot to beat that drum (yet will again) you removed the brass return fitting that is actually a Venturi tuning fitting?
Not yet, waiting for the fitting.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Fascinating corrosion reaction. ok, I see that the pump is attached to the pump carrier by hose clamps and that metal tang. Definitely looks like a great setup for a dissimilar metal corrosion event with the aluminum housing or possibly whatever that tang is made from. Most likely its the aluminum housing. The pump will need to be physically isolated from directly contacting other metal if you want to stop that from happening.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
It looks like you may have some galvanic corrosion taking place between the aluminum of the surge tank and the fuel pump body. Is the surge tank earthed? If not make sure that you add a good one to minimize the corrosion.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Okay I'm about to put this damn car up for sale. Getting sick of it.

I'll give you $500 and a case of Hamm's.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 06:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

After five hours of going through the car I finally figured out what the issue was...

The damn Easy Performance fuel pump controller! I ended up getting the car started after noticing the controller wasn't doing anything when the car was cycling the in-tank fuel tank pump. I disconnected the controller and plugged it back in and for some reason the car started first crank.

I then let it idle to see how fuel pressure and everything was all fine...for about four minutes then the car died...wtf... tried to start, wouldn't start, then tried again, started, then died right away like before.

Had my girlfriend keep the key on to cycle the in-tank pump and power the controller. Went through the wiring and noticed the blue wire out of the controller that powers the pump was HOT AS HELL. It almost burnt my fingers. So I dunno wtf was going on there.

Luckily I had another Easy Performance Controller so I swapped that in (After re-wiring everything because they changed the harness) and now the car starts and idles fine with no wire almost burning the car down.

I can't believe it was the controller all along... ugh

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)