Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I hope so bro,

On a brighter note, I got to ride in a 650hp GTR last night. It was disgusting! You could almost hear the tarmac screaming for mercy! My friend even used launched control to really kick our asses into the seat It pulls so hard from a dig that you feel the same G's as if it was about to hit it's peak torque from a roll. Yesterday, inertia did not exist!

-pal215
Those cars have the smoothest linear power ever. I had the same response as you lol I was appalled at how fantastic it was.. I just hate that they arent manual transmissions. I wouldn't let that keep me from owning one though
Old Nov 22, 2016, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what a clean build...!!!I have the similar sound coming from the rear of my Evo-6 on decel. I really have not had time to check it out yet though. have you had some time to check yours?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
Those cars have the smoothest linear power ever. I had the same response as you lol I was appalled at how fantastic it was.. I just hate that they arent manual transmissions. I wouldn't let that keep me from owning one though
They are something else aren't they? Yes I agree, it's a shame they did not come in a true clutch pedal manual. I still like the mechanical feel of the evos though better

Originally Posted by wickedep
what a clean build...!!!I have the similar sound coming from the rear of my Evo-6 on decel. I really have not had time to check it out yet though. have you had some time to check yours?
Thanks!

I did have a chance to open up my rear diff and drain my transfer case, but everything looked ok. Sometimes these problems can hide themselves very well. I have a rear diff on the way to swap it out and retest. If the noise is still there, I will sadly have to put a stock transfer case back in. It would essentially mean that I was sold a bad "built" unit a few months ago and got shafted.

Needless to say, there is nothing I can do now but hope for the best. I will get this thing working by the end of this year.

-pal215
Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

So yesterday I grabbed the car by the shaft "pun intended" and spun it with the rear diff disconnected and car in first so that the front wheels would turn. I felt a roughness to it when spinning the shaft by hand in one direction and it was smooth in the other so it would be foolish of me to rule out the transfer case as the culprit.

Do TRE built transfer cases usually come filled with oil? If not, then I know the previous owner used it before handing it off to me because I drained a good amount of oil from it before I filled it up the first time.

-pal215
Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
They do not come filled. It would have leaked out all over the place in the box.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
They do not come filled. It would have leaked out all over the place in the box.
That explains why the box he sold it to me in was damp I think we just about solved half this mystery then.

-pal215
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks dude, at least you have a stock one to put into it though.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

That sucks dude, at least you have a stock one to put into it though.
Yeah, it does man. If it doesn't end up being the TC, and that's a BIG IF with what we know now, I would have lucked out.

Now i'll just have a spare rear diff and tc handy in case they break again. Constantly send them out..break them..send them out ...break them...send them out ....you know the drill. Lol, hell nah, this is next one day:

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pr...r-case-rebuild

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Nov 23, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

I wouldn't run that gear. It's soft, for drag racing. Give the teeth some give so they don't break. It will wear out in a street car.

If you have problems, send your stuff to TRE. There is a reason STM sets records on his drivetrain.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 06:41 PM
EvoM Guru

^i'll give it a try. I hear he is very tough to get a hold of.

Thought i'd post some pictures of when I inspected the rear diff for some amusement. What do you guys think? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this diff lol. This is with the weir diff clutch pack i've been running for a while.

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Nov 25, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Did you not need a case spreader to get the in and out? !
Old Nov 26, 2016, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215
^i'll give it a try. I hear he is very tough to get a hold of.

Thought i'd post some pictures of when I inspected the rear diff for some amusement. What do you guys think? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this diff lol. This is with the weir diff clutch pack i've been running for a while.

-pal215
He can be difficult at times, but he's gotten a lot better lately. It's just him and Aaron in the shop, and they put out a lot of work, so it is what is.

Can't tell from the pics. You didn't pull the pinion out, and there's no close up high red shot of the teeth of either gear or the bearings. Also, the bearing on the left (ring gear) side of the carrier needs to be removed to see if there is evidence of it being loose on the side cover. As shown here:

http://www.teamrip.com/HD_SIDE_COVER_UPGRADE.html

I had a diff that was so bad I could remove the bearing by hand, no bueno. Ring and pinion were all kinds of bad from the contact pattern moving around.

And as far as the tcase goes, there is nothing wrong with the OEM ring and pinion, they are actually a really good gear set. The issue with the tcase lies in poor gear setup from the factory, coupled with the cases flexing due to the small bolts. If you had a true max-effort car, I would say the Albins ring and pinion that TRE offers (which is also the Jacks and sheep "stage 3") would be necessary. But not for what your car is.

Did you not need a case spreader to get the in and out? !
You can finagle it in and out, just takes a little extra work.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

True, I suppose that level of detail can't really be seen from those pictures. I need to invest in an impact gun one of these days. So far all the work i've done on the car has been with breaker bars. Not sure how else I would get the pinion out without one.

Thank you for the link, I didn't realize that even those can come loose and start eating away at the side cover.

When going through the service manual I noticed that they used a dial indicator to measure the gear lash. My old school garage tactics are coming to an end !

-pal215
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:39 PM
EvoM Guru

What happens is the pot metal cast side cover just gets "compressed" until the bearing is no longer press fit. It lets the wear pattern and backlash walk all over the place.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build