Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
Any time I have had valve stem seals go bad it has smoked at least a little at idle (you'd definitely smell it a bit) and then plume huge when revved after it sat idle for a while. If it's not burning oil I'd say next thing to do is look for leaks. Clean it really well if its oily (I can't imagine your car being oily lol) drive it around the block and check for seepage.

My oil pan bolt currently leaks and even being that low still manages to soak everything behind it pretty good. If its leaking you'll see it.
For the first time in my life, I pray I find a bad leak.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
At the minimum, per STM's site, the supertech dual spring kits can handle 13.4mm of valve lift for the stiffest set, and up to 16mm for the softest set. So you should be good with your valve springs.

http://streettunedmotorsports.com/pa...prk_m1007d.htm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
At the minimum, per STM's site, the supertech dual spring kits can handle 13.4mm of valve lift for the stiffest set, and up to 16mm for the softest set. So you should be good with your valve springs.

http://streettunedmotorsports.com/pa...prk_m1007d.htm

That's a good point! But if the retainer that holds the spring down is on the thicker side (specifically the bottom part) isn't there a chance that it would hit the top of the valve stem seals when the cam lobe comes down and fully extends? The retainer would be essentially squishing the top of the valve stem seal constantly even though the springs can handle the 13.4mm of travel before binding. GSC warns of the bottom of the retainer hitting the top of the valve stem seal because theirs doesn't have that extra groove to hold the smaller spring.

hmmm..now how can I test this without putting plastigauge inside the bottom of the retainer and checking if it gets squished...

All this is me being paranoid of course, it really could be something leaking somewhere haha.

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Mar 22, 2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: details
Old Mar 22, 2017, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

I fully understand what GSC is concerned about. The max lift supertech rates the springs at would include the retainer. If it didn't, that measurement/data point would be useless.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 09:33 PM
EvoM Guru

I fully understand what GSC is concerned about. The max lift supertech rates the springs at would include the retainer. If it didn't, that measurement/data point would be useless.
I see, but is there a slight chance that the spring ratings were done on the spring side only? I mean, I agree with you that it would make the data useless, but we have seen big company's do strange things like that before in order to post higher numbers.

-pal215
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:10 AM
EvoM Guru

If your concerned, give super tech or STM a call tomorrow. I'm sure they can tell you.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
You could pull your exhaust manifold off and take a look into the exhaust ports to see if you can spot any oil or wet spots. I had this issue and it turns out one of my valve seals got damaged (broke in half lol). I experienced no smoke, leaks, or anything, just was losing a bit of oil. When I pulled the exhaust manifold off I could see the number 2 cylinder exhaust port was wet with oil.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Get a Bore-scope camera and inspect pistons (through plug hole) for any damage.
I also see that you use s spring to hold down the dipstick from popping out.
It's obviously because of the crankcase pressure you have. Otherwise it would not pop out.

I wish you luck!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Also worth noting, you can see how super tech also lists coil bind on the valve spring specs. That number is how far the spring can compress with out an obstruction. So I'm pretty confident that the figure listed as max lift is how much valve lift it can handle with the supplied retainer and seals.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
You could pull your exhaust manifold off and take a look into the exhaust ports to see if you can spot any oil or wet spots. I had this issue and it turns out one of my valve seals got damaged (broke in half lol). I experienced no smoke, leaks, or anything, just was losing a bit of oil. When I pulled the exhaust manifold off I could see the number 2 cylinder exhaust port was wet with oil.
I'll have to look into this just in case it's happening to me. Was this just your seal or valve guide as well?

Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
Get a Bore-scope camera and inspect pistons (through plug hole) for any damage.

I also see that you use s spring to hold down the dipstick from popping out.
It's obviously because of the crankcase pressure you have. Otherwise it would not pop out.

I wish you luck!
That's correct! The spring is because there is enough crank case pressure at 37 psi to push the dipstick out, but I don't want to do anything more to fix crank case pressure issues. I'll take a look with a boroscope tonight.

Also worth noting, you can see how super tech also lists coil bind on the valve spring specs. That number is how far the spring can compress with out an obstruction. So I'm pretty confident that the figure listed as max lift is how much valve lift it can handle with the supplied retainer and seals.

Good point! If they listed that figure then I guess it wouldn't make sense to give an incorrect max lift value that doesn't include the retainer clearance.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Crankcase pressure needs to be addressed if you're pushing the dip stick out. Your catch can looks like a VTA setup with two 6an lines. That is simply not enough for making 650whp+. You need to consider a setup like the sealed STM kit, or something that modifies the valve cover and runs two 10an lines.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Crankcase pressure needs to be addressed if you're pushing the dip stick out. Your catch can looks like a VTA setup with two 6an lines. That is simply not enough for making 650whp+. You need to consider a setup like the sealed STM kit, or something that modifies the valve cover and runs two 10an lines.

Yes, that's my valve cover
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ification.html
Old Mar 23, 2017, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You and I are dealing with a similar issue. Mine much more extreme and mine smokes like crazy.

The spring lift rating as I understand it is rated to coil bind, not to stem seal/retainer contact. I talked to Kiggly about mine and they seem to think their is plenty of lift space, but do not specify on clearance to the valve stem. I need to tear mine apart.

I'm burning about 1/2qt in 6 miles, so don't feel so bad.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
^That looks pretty damn cool ! I might just do that mod in the future. I already have the baffles tapped with screws anyway from powder coating so I don't see why not. Any Issue with oil escaping?

Originally Posted by JRally
You and I are dealing with a similar issue. Mine much more extreme and mine smokes like crazy.

The spring lift rating as I understand it is rated to coil bind, not to stem seal/retainer contact. I talked to Kiggly about mine and they seem to think their is plenty of lift space, but do not specify on clearance to the valve stem. I need to tear mine apart.

I'm burning about 1/2qt in 6 miles, so don't feel so bad.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. Maybe it's different for every manufacturer? Who knows .

Very sorry to hear about your luck with oil. I know you were almost done with your build too.

Look like we still have more work to do .

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Mar 23, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
That looks pretty damn cool ! I might just do that mod in the future. I already have the baffles tapped with screws anyway from powder coating so I don't see why not. Any Issue with oil escaping?
Surprisingly no. Everyone asks me that and Tom (TSCOMPTUNED) insists on running it that very way. I've done plenty of WOT pulls and dyno pulls, no issues.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build