Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...chProdSpec.pdf

I don't know if this is your model compute stick, but it says it needs 5v 4amp and it appears to be a USB-C jack. Page 24.

Quick glance through some forums and most are saying you need at least 3 amps for it to work right.

These seem to have decent reviews. https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converte...ct_top?ie=UTF8 add a fuse and wire it up to a USB jack and your gold.
Very cool idea! It would certainly free up some space and take away any extra noise associated with my current power supply solution. I'll give it a try and see what happens. It looks like they also have a DC to DC converter with the USB adapters already wired in that provides 3 amps. Benchmark tests have shown that even at full force the compute stick consumes about 14.2 watts, which shows why 3 amps could work.

Amazon Amazon
Old Dec 7, 2017, 01:42 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Very cool idea! It would certainly free up some space and take away any extra noise associated with my current power supply solution. I'll give it a try and see what happens. It looks like they also have a DC to DC converter with the USB adapters already wired in that provides 3 amps. Benchmark tests have shown that even at full force the compute stick consumes about 14.2 watts, which shows why 3 amps could work.

https://www.amazon.com/GEREE-Waterpr...ct_top?ie=UTF8
i would be careful with that one, it says its working current is only 1amp.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

i would be careful with that one, it says its working current is only 1amp.
Good catch! I ordered the one you recommended. It looks the least likely to burn my car down

Last edited by Pal215; Dec 7, 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Hey are you using the OEM FPR on the Radium rail? Can you take a picute of where/how its mounted? I dont like the way mine mounts as it can spin/clock easily. Just dosnt seem like a good solid connection.

Last edited by V.8MR; Dec 11, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 04:26 PM
EvoM Guru

^ I'm using a fuel lab FPR with a -6an fuel rail fitting, but I would mount it like how you have it in the second picture. That seems more like the oem orientation to ensure it functions properly.

Last edited by Pal215; Dec 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 04:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Its mounted, it just rotates by hand. It spins freely. Doesnt give me warm and fuzzy feelings...

Emailed radium and this was their response:

It is ok/normal for it to swivel, but it should not leak. Give it a try and let us know if there are any issues.

Technical Support
Radium Engineering LLC
www.radiumauto.com
To receive the latest info on new products, join us at:
Facebook Instagram

Anyway thanx for the reply pal215
Old Dec 7, 2017, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

I can see how that can be a little sketchy. I will say this though, when I installed my older oem fpr into my old fuel rail, it did continue to rotate until i put the bolts in. If it rotates super easily then I would be concerned, but if you can feel o-ring friction I would try starting the fuel pump and checking for leaks.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Its mounted, it just rotates by hand. It spins freely. Doesnt give me warm and fuzzy feelings...

Emailed radium and this was their response:

It is ok/normal for it to swivel, but it should not leak. Give it a try and let us know if there are any issues.

Technical Support
Radium Engineering LLC
www.radiumauto.com
To receive the latest info on new products, join us at:
Facebook Instagram

Anyway thanx for the reply pal215
Old Dec 7, 2017, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Created a fused (3amp fuse for now) , USB C to power harness with some spare wires I had lying around in preparation for the Dc to Dc converter.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Update:

The DC-DC power supply arrived as well as the 4 port USB hub. I couldn't wait to install them.

Soldering USB connector to power supply

4 port low profile USB hub. I used 1 port for the UEGO Wideband, 1 for Tactrix, 1 to power the video converter and ran a usb extension up to the glove box for thumb drives and other external items.

Positioning power supply and USB Hub

Final assembly.

Hell yeah.

The noise was still there and I figured out it was coming from the AEM gauge. The AEM wideband heater circuit is a noisy one! I added a noise filter and it took it all away. The video is still a little noisy, but not enough to justify spending another 50 bucks on a video noise filter.
Edit: I did end up buying a 50 dollar video noise filter and it didn't work (Jokes on me)

Overall I'm very happy with the setup, but I am having a problem with EcuFlash. It defaults to using the RS232 converter for the wideband to read from the ECU instead of my Tactrix cable. Is there anyway to change the default port that ECUflash uses instead up unplugging my wideband each time?

Last edited by Pal215; Jul 3, 2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Changed Evoscan to ECUflash
Old Dec 11, 2017, 02:30 PM

Looking good. You could try manually assigning the Serial adapter com port in Windows hardware manager, you will then need to tell evoscan about the new com port for the wideband.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Looking good. You could try manually assigning the Serial adapter com port in Windows hardware manager, you will then need to tell evoscan about the new com port for the wideband.
I messed up, what I meant to say was EcuFlash
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:03 PM

Oh thats a bit of a different problem. Ecuflash looks for the device hardware not a comm port. If its mistaking your RS232 converter for an openport then there are some underlying issues. I would start by making sure your Ecuflash and openport drivers are both the most current version. Im guessing you aren't using an actual tactrix openport, so if the above doesn't help you may need to actually change to a piece of actual tactrix hardware. You could try hitting up tactrix about the problem too, they got back to me with some tech questions I had a while back.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh thats a bit of a different problem. Ecuflash looks for the device hardware not a comm port. If its mistaking your RS232 converter for an openport then there are some underlying issues. I would start by making sure your Ecuflash and openport drivers are both the most current version. Im guessing you aren't using an actual tactrix openport, so if the above doesn't help you may need to actually change to a piece of actual tactrix hardware. You could try hitting up tactrix about the problem too, they got back to me with some tech questions I had a while back.
I see. I will try contacting them and see if they have dealt with this issue before. I am currently using the Tactrix 1.3U evo OBDII cable. The same issue occurred on my old laptop, but it was a lot easier to just unplug the RS232 converter back then haha!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 01:41 PM

you might just try a different RS232 converter too, but see what tactrix comes back with before spending money
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

you might just try a different RS232 converter too, but see what tactrix comes back with before spending money
That's a good point, it could be the chip on that particular converter! For now I just installed a usb extension cable that I'll plug into the rs232 when needed. A bandaid fix, but a fix nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build