Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Update:
I ended up selling my replica JDM rear in favor of the better fitting and more functional authentic version. A deal came up that I could not pass up. I also decided that keeping the side markers was not such a big deal anymore. In addition to this, I made sure to get the AfterHours Automotive crash beam. This comes with a crash beam that allows you to bolt up the factory license plate holder with lights to it and an aluminum bracket at the bottom to keep your bumper from flapping in the wind. Take a look at the pictures below to see how I mounted my bumper on this bracket. It makes the whole thing solid which is very reassuring. It makes the JDM rear bumper diffuser work properly ( if it does work at all. Anyone got a wind tunnel I can borrow? lol)

Just in case:
http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/...r%20brace.html

*bumper and exhaust are straight, I just took the picture from a weird angle lol

4 chassis mounting points, 3 extra for the bumper

OEM mounting location used on jdm bumper

The Exedy triple is good clutch, but the exedy twin is a better clutch because it uses one piece splines and has sprung disks. I say this after trying both. The transmission hub spline/disk adapter wear problem that has been known to happen with the triple is awful and it can be caused by a number of factors (not just bad install) such as constant hard launching, improper shifting, or....daily driving. I'm thinking that the constant hammering of the loose unsprung disks of the triple cause wear at the teeth of the adapter hub even during regular to moderate daily driving. There is a whole thread on this so I won't go into detail.

My clutch was being very loud lately so I took it apart to find that my triple has developed similar wear. I was just over the noise that the clutch made when I pressed the clutch pedal in. You'd back out of a parking spot and everyone would think your throw out bearing was going bad. I decided to make a drastic change back to a more OEM style clutch (using that term lightly). I say OEM as in i'm going from an Exedy triple disk with the AMS push conversion kit to an ACT 6-puck sprung pull style with prolight flywheel and OEM throw out bearing. After much reading, I found that this clutch will not be as easy to drive as the exedy, and it might even still make some noise, but it won't make that horrid disk floating noise that I've grown weary of. I also hear that this setup will be much easier to drive on after break in. I look forward to testing it out and seeing for myself.

ACT sprung 6 puck, pro light flywheel

Stay tuned for a review!

Last edited by Pal215; Apr 9, 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Hopefully that clutch can hold your torque.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It would be clutch if it can
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Hopefully that clutch can hold your torque.
Originally Posted by heel2toe
It would be clutch if it can

Haha, well the numbers ACT advertises says 725ftlbs of torque, probably measured at the crank. There's only one way to find out!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
You get the XT or HD pressure plate? The XT is gnarly lol
Old Apr 9, 2018, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You get the XT or HD pressure plate? The XT is gnarly lol
XT lol, I had the ACT street disk with XT pressure plate and it was a pretty heavy clutch. Definitely made my left leg strong, but I got used to it. I had to adjust for other cars after that as their clutches were all so soft
Old Apr 9, 2018, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Did you finish the clutch install yet? I've discussed this with Sean in the past but Im wondering if they changed something with the PP as my buddy has the XTSS in his car and the pedal effort was significant. I put in an XTSS in my car and the pedal felt like stock. Now Sean was adamant the clutch I got wasnt an XT pressure plate even though the box stated it was (which is a totally reaonable assumition I might add, not faulting Sean). Anyway, when I pulled my car apart I confirmed the part number engraved on the actual pressure plate was indeed the XT cover. So it makes me wonder if they at some point changed something with it. Moral of the story curious how heavy you think the pedal is after you try it out since you have prior experience with an XT.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Also, I like the rear bumper beam! I have the same one and wonder why it isnt more popular as it seems to be the nicest one on the market IMO. I got tapped by a 3/4 ton truck sitting in bumper to bumper traffic(<5mph) a couple years ago and the licence place screw from his truck made a little imprint on my bumper but that was the extent of the damage. Man was I glad I had something behind my bumper cover bc that would have sucked big time!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 03:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Did you finish the clutch install yet? I've discussed this with Sean in the past but Im wondering if they changed something with the PP as my buddy has the XTSS in his car and the pedal effort was significant. I put in an XTSS in my car and the pedal felt like stock. Now Sean was adamant the clutch I got wasnt an XT pressure plate even though the box stated it was (which is a totally reaonable assumition I might add, not faulting Sean). Anyway, when I pulled my car apart I confirmed the part number engraved on the actual pressure plate was indeed the XT cover. So it makes me wonder if they at some point changed something with it. Moral of the story curious how heavy you think the pedal is after you try it out since you have prior experience with an XT.

Very interesting. I remember reading that conversation on here before actually! My goal is to at least have the clutch installed and blead by tonight, which will give me a good measure of the pressure and feel. Would you mind sending me the part number of your XT cover? I can compare it to mine and see if they match. If they do, and my pressure plate actually feels light, then we can confirm that ACT has made a change in the past to lighten the feel of their pressure plate. That would most likely be inspired by competition clutch's design as they are known for softer pressure plates that hold decent torque.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Also, I like the rear bumper beam! I have the same one and wonder why it isnt more popular as it seems to be the nicest one on the market IMO. I got tapped by a 3/4 ton truck sitting in bumper to bumper traffic(<5mph) a couple years ago and the licence place screw from his truck made a little imprint on my bumper but that was the extent of the damage. Man was I glad I had something behind my bumper cover bc that would have sucked big time!
Thanks man,

I have no complaints with it at all, other than the install was a pain because my swivel socket did not have enough room to work properly and I had to use an old method to install the four crash beam bolts.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

I can take a look tonight when I get home and report back.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Dont mind the shrapnel on the cover, lol. MB018X

Old Apr 9, 2018, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Nice work on doing the JDM rear correctly. FWIW I've been on the ME2-HDG6 for 3-4 years and its a good street clutch that drives well even with a 4.11 final drive. Light pedal and good modulation . I tried an XD pressure plate in another car and opted to stay on the lighter side of things. Went with the HD pressure plate for a light Pedal and transmitting less shock to the drivetrain.

Most people stick with a std weight flywheel for a street car . A light flywheel is nice for track use where there is less stop and go. You still should be fine with the big 100mm crank. Probably more of a concern for a 88mm engine.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Dont mind the shrapnel on the cover, lol. MB018X
Nice! Yeah, mine has the same part number MB018X. The ID:180220015 indicates a later build date, but that's it. After bleeding the slave cylinder, I can tell you that it is definitely lighter than I remember for my older ACT XTSS street disk. If I had to place a number on it, I would say it is about 15% heavier than an exedy triple with the heavy duty pressure plate. Still very comfortable to drive on in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Abacus
Nice work on doing the JDM rear correctly. FWIW I've been on the ME2-HDG6 for 3-4 years and its a good street clutch that drives well even with a 4.11 final drive. Light pedal and good modulation . I tried an XD pressure plate in another car and opted to stay on the lighter side of things. Went with the HD pressure plate for a light Pedal and transmitting less shock to the drivetrain.

Most people stick with a std weight flywheel for a street car . A light flywheel is nice for track use where there is less stop and go. You still should be fine with the big 100mm crank. Probably more of a concern for a 88mm engine.
Thanks man, I like it better this way too. That is very good to know that a 6 puck can be driven on the street well despite popular belief. I too believe that a 100mm crank with a lightweight flywheel should be fine, especially because the ACT prolight is still a steel flywheel.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 195 Likes on 183 Posts
I finally stumbled onto your thread!!
now for bedtime reading...
I'm kind of in the same boat where I want to build a reliable high power car. Although I was thinking about a 2.2L for the higher rev limit. I may follow your build in the end, depending on how close this thread align with what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build