Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Well tomorrow is the day I have waited 20 months for. Am I excited no not really. I will be excited to see my car and all the new **** that is on it but whats the point of getting all excited when I can't drive it. Sure I can drive it on the trailer and off the trailer but still. I called my buddy to see if he can pull my t case at the shop he has and now he wants 1500 to do so. Wtf he only charged me 500 to do a clutch a few years ago. So with that said idk wtf to do. 3000 dollars to fix a 1300 t case just urks me. I am starting to understand why people part their cars out after they go big builds.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Well my day started today at 5:30 am. Got on the road by 6:30 am after waiting for my father to arrive and after a quick stop at Mcdonalds for a couple egg mcmuffins and 2 large coffees we were on our way about 7. We got to the shop roughly 10:45, I paid for the car and packed up all my **** and put it in the truck. Well uhhh yeah not happy with what I heard when I tried to start the car. Something isn't right at all. They said they couldn't figure it out which means they prob didn't wanna tear back into it.

After an hr or so getting the car on the trailer I made my journey back home towards my house to only drive past my exit straight to Warren, Mi to my buddy shop where I unloaded the car and going to wait till this weekend when he takes out the trans and t case to send to rrt in CT. I let Rief know they will be on the way and he said I didn't sound happy uh no I just spent close to 20k and now I have to have my trans and t case rebuilt when they were pretty much fine and shifting like butter when I brought the car into the shop.

So fast forward a few more hrs and it is 10 to 8pm and I am now settleing in getting ready to go to bed being I get up at 2 am now to go to work. Yay ****ing fun let me tell you. So now I have to wait at least another month for my stuff to get fixed and back in the car before I can even start to break in the engine. Guess I won't be doing test and tune at the shootout this year.

Here is a short vid of what my car does now that I got it back. Oh pay close attention to the last few seconds of the video being that is what the car does now when the starter isn't free spinning.

Ok the video didn't get the clunking it makes when trying to start but it sounds terrible and somethings ****ed up. This just gives you an idea of what I have to deal with now. Ok sorry for the rant I am exhausted and crabby and not happy about everything at this time. So with that said goodnite EvoM hopefully tomorrow will treat me a tad big less ****ty.

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Fuuu, this thread is heartbreaking.
And here you thought the thread was already heartbreaking lol watch the video and try not to cry.
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg
2000000000139026.mpeg (4.28 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by CurseDSM; Aug 10, 2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow. That sounds terrible.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Yikes sorry to hear about your troubles. Its common to hear shops dropping the ball on everyone's Evo. You are not alone in your struggles.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
Yikes sorry to hear about your troubles. Its common to hear shops dropping the ball on everyone's Evo. You are not alone in your struggles.
Thanks man I appreciate it, I really do but that doesn't make me feel any better lol.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Update:
Well it has been a long drawn out time for me. I've spent a **** ton of unnecessary cash on this car to please a shop that basically gave me the finger as the car left their shop. I have my car at my buddy's shop yet again to have the subframe dropped and the engine, trans and t case pulled. I am waiting to see how destroyed the clutch is at this point

I have a cousin who works at exedy and can help me out but I am at a point to think I will need new stuff altogether. I asked my buddy's to send me pics of the clutch once things are out and I will send them to exedy to assess the damage then pics and response will be sent to slowmotion.

​​​​​​IDk if my car will make the shootout this year being idk how fast rrt can have my stuff back, but if it does it will be a miracle..

Last edited by CurseDSM; Aug 13, 2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Well I have made the decission to go with the same t case RRT uses in their race car. It has the upgraded pinion and splines with the upgraded spool, and the Wavetrack lsd. Trans I am doing all new 1-5 that has been hardened with rem and carbon synchros. That should hold the power of the car pretty easily so that will mean the weak link will be the axles and I am ok with that being axles are way chearper to replace then t cases and trannys
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Aug 14, 2022)
Old Aug 14, 2022, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
I mean...long term parts only get more 'spensive so in a big picture look this is kind of good. Plus blah blah built for madness now.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by osetsky
I mean...long term parts only get more 'spensive so in a big picture look this is kind of good. Plus blah blah built for madness now.
Well think of it this way if I buy a t case for say 1500, drive it a few months I get on it to get on the express way and boom I get another t case 2k that's 3500 when I'm paying 2450 for one I know that will handle the power I'll make, I'm in the green at that point.

Plus at this point my trans will not go into gear while the car is running. So with that said who knows what's wrong with that. To the same extent if I break a trans it's the same scenario as above.

Riaf's makes 500 more HP then mine will and he says he hasn't broke one launching or anything as of yet. Not to say it won't happen but if his race car handles the stuff mine will to ad a driver ya know.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:40 AM
EvoM Guru

I thinkPink Floyd said it best "All in all its just a, another kick in the *****." Heres whats left of my freshly rebuilt 200 mile clutch.

Old Aug 17, 2022, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I thinkPink Floyd said it best "All in all its just a, another kick in the *****." Heres whats left of my freshly rebuilt 200 mile clutch.

Has anyone figured out what caused it? Was it install error?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 05:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by staywide8
Has anyone figured out what caused it? Was it install error?
Not yet I sent the pics to my cousin who works at exedy and see what the enginidiot tells me. I'll have to measure the discs as well to see how much was eaten. I am going to buy an act twin tonite being it will cost me just as much to rebuild the triple
Old Aug 17, 2022, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Well pulled the trigger on a new act twin. Way cheaper to rebuild I might add. For only having a few 100 miles on my triple disc I've spent 3200 dollars rebuilding it 3 times in the last 4 years
The following 2 users liked this post by CurseDSM:
staywide8 (Aug 17, 2022), TimInselman (Aug 17, 2022)
Old Aug 18, 2022, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Want to hear how you like the ACT Twin. What version did you go with?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well pulled the trigger on a new act twin. Way cheaper to rebuild I might add. For only having a few 100 miles on my triple disc I've spent 3200 dollars rebuilding it 3 times in the last 4 years
Also interested in which one?
Why did you have to rebuild it so many times. I'm on about 4 years on my triple with 800 hp.

Quick Reply: Evo update