Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by harry wilson
keep up the good work buddy

Thank you. I am doing the best I can with what I have left but it's going to be a grind for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheesh! The amount of time that has gone into this! Following!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jaguirrefitness
Sheesh! The amount of time that has gone into this! Following!
It's not just time its also money. This all started when I blew the origional motor up. that was 2014ish. I had my 2.4 built and ran it 4500 miles within the last 3 or 4 years after that and it went down the tubes yet again. Fast forward to litterly 2 years ago this project started. I was kinda stupid and went off the deep end. I wanted this setup to work with my 2.4 so badly but it just didn't make it. I cannot tell you how much money is invested in things being I lost track. ****ty thing is I can't even tell you all the stuff that "had to be" changed out or fixed in order to just get this far. And on top of that just when I thought I was done all this happens. Trans and t case and clutch done. That is like 4500 for trans and t case on top of 1700 for the clutch plus I have to pay someone to put it in being I am at the most busy time at my job where I can't even work on the car so thats another 1500. 7700 dollars just in the last month alone to get this car done and I have no idea where I am going to get this cash. Credit cards are all but maxed out right now and that is something I said I would never do. I would say 80% of all that just on this build.

When all this is all said and done and I get stuff back and the car is running and I actually get it tuned I am going to start another build log that will pretty much be this thread but more in detail of what is actually in the car rather then me just rattling off parts and ****.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
It's not just time its also money. This all started when I blew the origional motor up. that was 2014ish. I had my 2.4 built and ran it 4500 miles within the last 3 or 4 years after that and it went down the tubes yet again. Fast forward to litterly 2 years ago this project started. I was kinda stupid and went off the deep end. I wanted this setup to work with my 2.4 so badly but it just didn't make it. I cannot tell you how much money is invested in things being I lost track. ****ty thing is I can't even tell you all the stuff that "had to be" changed out or fixed in order to just get this far. And on top of that just when I thought I was done all this happens. Trans and t case and clutch done. That is like 4500 for trans and t case on top of 1700 for the clutch plus I have to pay someone to put it in being I am at the most busy time at my job where I can't even work on the car so thats another 1500. 7700 dollars just in the last month alone to get this car done and I have no idea where I am going to get this cash. Credit cards are all but maxed out right now and that is something I said I would never do. I would say 80% of all that just on this build.

When all this is all said and done and I get stuff back and the car is running and I actually get it tuned I am going to start another build log that will pretty much be this thread but more in detail of what is actually in the car rather then me just rattling off parts and ****.
You could open more credit cards and try to look for ones with promotional 0% APR for X months or 0% promotional balance transfers.
The more credit cards you have the better it is for your credit score. The temptation to max out your credit limit per month is there but you should not do that if you cant pay off the money owed. Your debt will start compounding based off each credit cards interest rate.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
You could open more credit cards and try to look for ones with promotional 0% APR for X months or 0% promotional balance transfers.
The more credit cards you have the better it is for your credit score. The temptation to max out your credit limit per month is there but you should not do that if you cant pay off the money owed. Your debt will start compounding based off each credit cards interest rate.
RIght now they won't give me another credit card with the 5 I have right now in the 90+ % useage. 3 of the 5 are 0% interest for another few months. I don't normally max out my stuff it's usually around 10 to 20% max but with everything I have had to pay in just this last month on this car I am way up there where I don't wanna be. After the shootout is over it will be ok but I am just trying to get things done to have a car for the first time in like 4 years to drive.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 04:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Ok so you guys will love this. As some of you know before I decided to put my IGN-1a coils on my car, a few years ago a had my clutch rebuilt and I drove it a 150 or so miles. Ok so with that said I never had an issue shifting in any gear. So with that said I shipped my stuff off to RRT motorsports. So today I get a carll from Raif saying stuff is done. Ok yay I am excited until he sends me the bill. Come to find out not only was my 5th gear basically sheered off into a circle my reverse gear was taking out along with 3 shifter forks. Yay a 4000 dollar budget turned into a 5300 payment. Yeah not happy about this but it isn't Raifs fault. We wont mention any names and at this point its not worth it. Long story short is I have spent an extra 7000 dollars I didn't have before to get this car done. Needless to say trans and t case are on their way back to my buddys shop and should be there Friday or Saturday. At this point the car will make it to the shootout but on a base tune but hey for all I and we have been through I will be happy with that. More to come soon.
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Sep 6, 2022)
Old Sep 7, 2022, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Update:

Ok so you guys will love this. As some of you know before I decided to put my IGN-1a coils on my car, a few years ago a had my clutch rebuilt and I drove it a 150 or so miles. Ok so with that said I never had an issue shifting in any gear. So with that said I shipped my stuff off to RRT motorsports. So today I get a carll from Raif saying stuff is done. Ok yay I am excited until he sends me the bill. Come to find out not only was my 5th gear basically sheered off into a circle my reverse gear was taking out along with 3 shifter forks. Yay a 4000 dollar budget turned into a 5300 payment. Yeah not happy about this but it isn't Raifs fault. We wont mention any names and at this point its not worth it. Long story short is I have spent an extra 7000 dollars I didn't have before to get this car done. Needless to say trans and t case are on their way back to my buddys shop and should be there Friday or Saturday. At this point the car will make it to the shootout but on a base tune but hey for all I and we have been through I will be happy with that. More to come soon.
Im confused. Are you saying its a shops fault that built the car? How would they have damaged the internals of the transmission? Genuinely interested.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I want to know who just removed gears from the trans!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by staywide8
Im confused. Are you saying its a shops fault that built the car? How would they have damaged the internals of the transmission? Genuinely interested.
I'm not going to start a whirlwind of **** here but yes the trans shifted just fine when I brought the shop the car. That's not to say it didn't have any problems I don't personally know but from what I do know it never grinded, it never must shifted. Now the shop was the last to work on the car and all of a sudden **** happens. Again not going to point fingers but who knows what happened. Car is back to me and I just did 7000 more dollars of work that I didn't have cash for.

Sorry adding to this too, there was a noise that happened before I took the car to the shop and idk what it was. I asked them to look into it and they didn't or they forgot who knows. I was told by the shop after the car was back together the w noise was there and worse or at least for what I remember it being. Then I was told they took it around the parking lot, and it saw the dyno for a base tune. So I initially may have broke something, or something broke while at the shop who knows fact of the matter is trans was hurt pretty good. Thankfully I got the cash I needed from my father and stuff is on its way back to me.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Sep 7, 2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 06:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Raif at rrt Motorsports did the rebuild
The gears weren't removed they were stripped to nothing but a circle. Sorry I'm at work and can't be on the phone lol but raif said my reverse gear and 5th gear had no teeth so who knows

Last edited by CurseDSM; Sep 7, 2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry for all your struggles. Saying this project has been a nightmare doesn't do it justice.

Have you heard the term sunk-cost fallacy? I say this because your build definitely fits the definition. You should really consider cutting your losses and don't let this car destroy you financially for the next 10-20 years.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Originally Posted by colo_evo
Sorry for all your struggles. Saying this project has been a nightmare doesn't do it justice.

Have you heard the term sunk-cost fallacy? I say this because your build definitely fits the definition. You should really consider cutting your losses and don't let this car destroy you financially for the next 10-20 years.
Thanks man but that won't happen I have with the price of car 70k. That's not including the last 3 builds so well into 6 digits in this car that won't happen lol. I'd never make my money back.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by colo_evo

Does it fit the definition though? There isnt an upside to cutting losses at this point.

If you were going into the hole for 20 years for building up an Evo then there are bigger problems at play at that point.

Old Sep 7, 2022, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
Does it fit the definition though? There isnt an upside to cutting losses at this point.

If you were going into the hole for 20 years for building up an Evo then there are bigger problems at play at that point.
Everything is paid for already, everything but the trans and t case which I already sent the cash and Raif is waiting for it to clear. I tried to do this myself and I fell short being I wasn't expecting to get my car back with trans and t case destroyed. So idk where your getting this **** about being in debt for 20 years lol. I pay normally everything in cash. The car has gotten a little out of hand as of late which is fine I have 0% interest on my cards right now till November next year. I'm not worried at all. Just not expecting this trans and t case issue.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Unfortunately its not that uncommon for shady shops to replace your good working part for a their broken part that way they now have a good core AND they can potentially get paid more to "fix" the broken one they put on your car. Hope thats not what happened with your trans.

Quick Reply: Evo update