Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Unfortunately its not that uncommon for shady shops to replace your good working part for a their broken part that way they now have a good core AND they can potentially get paid more to "fix" the broken one they put on your car. Hope thats not what happened with your trans.
I thought that originally but the numbers match the vin so I was sol ya know.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Well today has been ****. I have a massive headache, I don't feel good,I feel run down from stress and working 70 hrs a week. But then today I won check pool for the second time this year and that pays 100 bucks, then this happened.

No matter how ****ty I feel right now this makes me feel better.
The following 5 users liked this post by CurseDSM:
EVO196 (Sep 14, 2022), osetsky (Sep 9, 2022), RobbieOh (Sep 9, 2022), staywide8 (Sep 9, 2022), TimInselman (Sep 9, 2022)
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
Ooo looks nice!
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Ooo looks nice!
Yeah and it's pissing me off being my buddy isn't answering his phone so idk when to bring the car lol.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Well just when I was feeling good about stuff moving forward I ran into another **** you. So they were installing my clutch today being motor is on the cradle ready to go back in the car and they noticed that the crank has a pin in it. Brand new 1600 ACT clutch flywheel does not. Wtf, so now I have to drive 80 miles out to the shop, pick up the old flywheel and new flywheel and drill a ****ing hole in my new flywheel to match the one on the old flywheel. That way I will have the only ACT clutch appartently that has this pin. I called ACT and they told me to either take the pin out or drill the flywheel. So out I go to get the damn flywheels and machine a ****ing hole and drive it 80 miles back out there. I was hoping to have the car done and driveable for Home coming for the kids this weekend. My gfs kids wanted me to take them in the evo to show off some. Well guess that wont happen now. I can't even tell you how pissed I am right now.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by staywide8
Im confused. Are you saying its a shops fault that built the car? How would they have damaged the internals of the transmission? Genuinely interested.
So after a while to rethink about this. The shop knew there was an issue and did not look into it. I asked them to look into it when I brought them the car, and they seemed to do everything but. Not to include they drove it around the parking lot, started it numerous times, and put it on the dyno for a base tune. So yeah knowing there was an issue and they did all that and didn't look into what was making the noise yeah I would say they did it.
The following 2 users liked this post by CurseDSM:
staywide8 (Sep 15, 2022), TimInselman (Sep 15, 2022)
Old Sep 14, 2022, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
Dang, I can feel your rage vibrating from here. Soon though...
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Update:

Well just when I was feeling good about stuff moving forward I ran into another **** you. So they were installing my clutch today being motor is on the cradle ready to go back in the car and they noticed that the crank has a pin in it. Brand new 1600 ACT clutch flywheel does not. Wtf, so now I have to drive 80 miles out to the shop, pick up the old flywheel and new flywheel and drill a ****ing hole in my new flywheel to match the one on the old flywheel. That way I will have the only ACT clutch appartently that has this pin. I called ACT and they told me to either take the pin out or drill the flywheel. So out I go to get the damn flywheels and machine a ****ing hole and drive it 80 miles back out there. I was hoping to have the car done and driveable for Home coming for the kids this weekend. My gfs kids wanted me to take them in the evo to show off some. Well guess that wont happen now. I can't even tell you how pissed I am right now.
Why couldn't you just take the pin out of the crank? Seems that now you'll be perpetuating the one-off problem by drilling a hole in the new flywheel. You'll have to deal with this same issue again f you ever have to change your flywheel again. Am I missing something here?
The following users liked this post:
colo_evo (Sep 15, 2022)
Old Sep 15, 2022, 01:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fsae_alum
Why couldn't you just take the pin out of the crank? Seems that now you'll be perpetuating the one-off problem by drilling a hole in the new flywheel. You'll have to deal with this same issue again f you ever have to change your flywheel again. Am I missing something here?
No your right. ACT told me to keep the pin and just drill the hole. They said its for helping with stress on the flywheel at high rpms and high hp cars. I am along the lines with you on this. If I take out the pin problem solved and if I ever sheer a bolt off the crank I will put the pin back in. I am just stressed enough with life right now and all the little things are getting to me. But yeah I think I will be going the take the pin out route.

Edit:

So this is the problem I ran into.

Pin in the crank

No pin in the flywheel

Solution grind the **** out of the pin to make it flush again

Last edited by CurseDSM; Sep 20, 2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Well tomorrow (9/21/20) is the day. After alot of money spent and useless stuff bought, the car is finally done. I asked my buddy for some pics and he sends me 3 lol. These are from this morning and afternoon but the car is ready to start. I just have to pick up some Diaqueen for the trans and t case and we will give it a start. Here are the pics.

Motor back in and getting everything plugged back in

Front side of my new driveshaft

Rear side of my new driveshaft
Old Sep 20, 2022, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

So this will prob be the last post in this thread for me. I will post a video of it running and make everyone who has been following it happy as I will be. I would like to say thank you to everyone who posted and hung in there with me through out the thick and thin. It means the world to me that total strangers most I have never met gave me the strength to continue this build and see it through. So thank you from the bottom of my heart and I will post a video when I get it home tomorrow. I am going to start an actual build thread and be done with this thread.
The following 5 users liked this post by CurseDSM:
deylag (Sep 22, 2022), RobbieOh (Sep 21, 2022), schuhie (Sep 21, 2022), staywide8 (Sep 21, 2022), TimInselman (Sep 21, 2022)
Old Sep 21, 2022, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
So glad for you that it's coming home!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is one time I'm happy a thread is ending..