Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 01:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by osetsky
On the plus side you'll have a bloody King Kong kinda car. So jelly...
Lol don't be jealous. I have sacrificed a ton of **** in my life to do this. Specially after the car was already finished and I was pretty happy with it. I mean this stuff is all do able if you wanna spend 15k to have all this stuff done to the car plus price of turbo, ignition, haltech, and whatever else is in there. I have sacrificed plenty of paychecks and bonuses to get this car where it is at and Idk if I will even like it. It may be to much for me on the street who knows. I mean I can always turn the car down to make it more driveable and not ***** to the wall every chance I get too. I mean my gf doesn't even know I am rebuilding the motor AGAIN. I am pretty sure she would end up leaving me if she did find out. I have known her all of my adult life and she is not only the love of my life but my best friend. We have had some rough times and some good times but this is definitely a soar subject with her. So what I am saying and not to give people advice or nothing, but if your going to go this big and do what I am doing, make sure your ducks are all in a row and everything goes smoothly. I didn't want to take a loan our or dip into my 401k or anything like that and I don't have much in my savings or anything like that so it makes it tough. Sure I make decent money but i have all the adult stuff to pay for as well, house, truck, insurances etc.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 01:02 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I used to sacrifice everything to build my cars I feel ya there. I didn't buy clothes, I didn't take trips, I didn't do anything but spend all my time under the car. I paid all my bills... the rest went to the car.
I'm not sure that I'm like that any more.. but who knows? Back in the day, I even put my transmission build on a credit card because I JUST....WANTED...IT...DONE. haha. The car was finished and I've enjoyed it ever since... but I know it wasn't the best idea.

As for turning the wick down so the car isn't so crazy: I don't know... there isn't a whole lot that's more boring than a car with all the lag and none of the power
Old Feb 4, 2021, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I used to sacrifice everything to build my cars I feel ya there. I didn't buy clothes, I didn't take trips, I didn't do anything but spend all my time under the car. I paid all my bills... the rest went to the car.
I'm not sure that I'm like that any more.. but who knows? Back in the day, I even put my transmission build on a credit card because I JUST....WANTED...IT...DONE. haha. The car was finished and I've enjoyed it ever since... but I know it wasn't the best idea.

As for turning the wick down so the car isn't so crazy: I don't know... there isn't a whole lot that's more boring than a car with all the lag and none of the power
Lol so you know exactly how I feel. And as far as turning it down, like 650/700 ish instead of 1000+ to the wheels. I wouldn't say that would be boring.

On the update side I am going to upload a pic of what they found today, and you can guess how I feel about it.

Hmmm wonder why my car won't idle for ****.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Feb 4, 2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well today I got the good news that I have acquired the funds to get my engine done. With that said I am going to make some extra changes partly cause they are needed, but cause I want the change. With that said the engine will look like this.

Slowmotion 2.2
Manley I beam 156mm rods with 625 rod bolts
Manley Extreme duty pistons with Swaintech coatings on top and skirts.
Arp main studs
Callies compstart 94mm billet crank
Forced Engineering head
Psi valvesprings
Ferrea valves
Kelford 288s
Kiggly hla
Jm fabs billet intake mani
S90 74mm tb
2.5" inch lower ic pipe
3" upper
Magnus fuel rail -10 feed -8 return
Id 2600s
Ets 5" fmic
Bullet proof double pumper with dual 525s

to much to list but you get the point lol. Needless to say I am exctied to get it rolling
156MM rod in 4G64 block?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:33 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
And as far as turning it down, like 650/700 ish instead of 1000+ to the wheels. I wouldn't say that would be boring.
you may not mind, either. of course, I'm just speaking from my experience and of my opinion. I've been in cars with big giant turbos that are making about half of what the turbos are capable of. Lag, lag, lag city, then right when they start picking up some speed it's done. If your goal was six to 700 hp and you got a turbo that made that while in it's efficiency range, that car would be a kick in the ***.
Again, you might not mind so I say do what you want of course!
Old Feb 5, 2021, 01:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOFans
156MM rod in 4G64 block?
Yep 94mm billet crank and 156mm rods. Not sure on the bore of the pistons yet being they haven't told me but thats a few weeks out.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 01:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
you may not mind, either. of course, I'm just speaking from my experience and of my opinion. I've been in cars with big giant turbos that are making about half of what the turbos are capable of. Lag, lag, lag city, then right when they start picking up some speed it's done. If your goal was six to 700 hp and you got a turbo that made that while in it's efficiency range, that car would be a kick in the ***.
Again, you might not mind so I say do what you want of course!
When i was looking at this turbo, i was shown graphs of them on a 2.2 and a 2.1 and surprisingly they aren't as laggy as you may think. If your coming off a stock turbo or a smaller frame turbo then well yeah its laggy but the dyno graph I have somewhere that i was going to post on a 2.2 made 48 lbs of boost by 5200 rpms which to me isn't bad. With all that was ****ed up on my car my other stock frame turbo did that and made 550 wheel. So to me thats not that big of deal. The only difference i saw was the turbo on the other car was not done by Forced Inductions it was done by Boost Lab or one of those places. Forced Inductionis is well know for their turbos in the diesel world. They make alot of stuff for the fox body and f body as well.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOFans
156MM rod in 4G64 block?
I didn't think about this when you had said something but you were correct in questioning it lol. 162mm 2.2 Long rod sorry my bad on that idk what I was thinking.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Any updates or just waiting for parts?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Any updates or just waiting for parts?
Yes there is. Everything is back ordered lol. I did order my rods yesterday and yep 4 to 6 weeks. Crank, injectors, and fmic are back ordered too. I did get an email saying the fmic will be leaving ets tomorrow so it should be there in a few days. Sorry for the non updates just been stupid busy here at work and 14 inches of snow I got on Tuesday.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 02:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Update

Well not much has gone on. I am trying to aquire funds to get the car back into the shop for engine removal. On top of that ETS pushed back my fmic back to the 26th to be shipped. Still no word about my Injectors or my rods as of yet but I will keep you guys updated as I know more.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 05:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 153mm rod Oliver and 85.5 hd2 10:4:1 piston, brand new just seat in the garage that will be perfect set up lol
Old Feb 24, 2021, 05:42 PM

Are you using 156 on 4g63? I think it better to use 153mm or just go with the 150mm, 156mm are ok but most people don’t recommend it
Old Feb 25, 2021, 01:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mivec4G
I have 153mm rod Oliver and 85.5 hd2 10:4:1 piston, brand new just seat in the garage that will be perfect set up lol
Does me no good pistons are for 162mm. The motor is a 2.2 long rod.

Originally Posted by Mivec4G
Are you using 156 on 4g63? I think it better to use 153mm or just go with the 150mm, 156mm are ok but most people don’t recommend it
No this is on a 4g64 block. Engine builder didn't like the 153mm setup in his race car and had better luck with the 162mm. All in all he says its a much stronger build with the longer rod. But thanks for the offer its much appreciated.

And to clarify these are the rods are ordered.
Manley 14422R6-4 thats the part # rods are
Manley 619220CE-4

He didn't want to tune my car with 12.5:1 compression just like every other tuner, so I figured I would go down in compression make it much safer for flex fuel and went 9:1, that way I can run both fuels safely and still have fun with the car.

Old Feb 25, 2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by kaj

I guess we are do lol, I remember building my 240sx and then my 2011 GSR Evo X, love my Evo x but then sold it , after a year later missing it and bought an Evo 9 now and there we go again

Quick Reply: Evo update