Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 06:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=cursedsm;11930841]Does me no good pistons are for 162mm. The motor is a 2.2 long rod.

No this is on a 4g64 block. Engine builder didn't like the 153mm setup in his race car and had better luck with the 162mm. All in all he says its a much stronger build with the longer rod. But thanks for the offer its much appreciated.

And to clarify these are the rods are ordered.
Manley 14422R6-4 thats the part # rods are
Manley 619220CE-4

He didn't want to tune my car with 12.5:1 compression just like every other tuner, so I figured I would go down in compression make it much safer for flex fuel and went 9:1, that way I can run both fuels safely and still have fun with the car.
[/QUOTE
nice, I decided to go 4g64 route too for now and build 2.1 153 mm rods in the 4g63 in the future
I just bought 4g64 2.4 short block stage 2 from MAP with just a standard rods because I only want to shift at 7500 and maybe redline at 8k if I have too once in a while
Old Feb 25, 2021, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mivec4G

I just bought 4g64 2.4 short block stage 2 from MAP with just a standard rods because I only want to shift at 7500 and maybe redline at 8k if I have too once in a while
I really like my 2.4, but when I built it, I didn't take into account that with 12.5 compression I am not really gaining anything other then noise. I made it a pita to tune, hard to run flex fuel being pump gas doesn't like it to much either. So I decided to bite the bullet and go down to the 2.2. I could have just got off the shelf pistons and kept my 2.4 but with the turbo as big as it is, it needs the revs.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I went with a 2.0l Long rod when I built my motor and I really have no idea why. If I redid it I would for sure do 2.2 or 2.3. I think the 2.2 is the best of rev range and spool and trq gains?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
I went with a 2.0l Long rod when I built my motor and I really have no idea why. If I redid it I would for sure do 2.2 or 2.3. I think the 2.2 is the best of rev range and spool and trq gains?
I would say yes being ur getting enough displacement to make a difference. That and the fact 2.3 you run into rev issues.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Update
Well it looks like I have an update. Looks like my intercooler shipped on the 27th. That should be at the shop by Thursday. Still no word about injectors or crank or rods. I know it's not much but it's something. When stuff arrives I've asked the shop to take pics so I can post them as the build progresses.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
I really like my 2.4, but when I built it, I didn't take into account that with 12.5 compression I am not really gaining anything other then noise. I made it a pita to tune, hard to run flex fuel being pump gas doesn't like it to much either. So I decided to bite the bullet and go down to the 2.2. I could have just got off the shelf pistons and kept my 2.4 but with the turbo as big as it is, it needs the revs.
Lower compression for sure makes life just easier. Its overall more tolerant to timing, boost, and octane.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Lower compression for sure makes life just easier. Its overall more tolerant to timing, boost, and octane.
Yeah absolutely, I am just looking forward to getting to use my new found power and not killing myself lol.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Update

Well looks like I will be waiting some time for my injectors. Map says they aren't going to be available till 5/12. Thats ok car isn't running right now so its not a big deal. Intercooler should be at the shop tomorrow 5/4. Pistons are ordered as well and now my block can be machined. I have to see if the pistons were back ordered as well. No word as of yet on the crank. I know it is on back order as well but I haven't gotten a time yet. Now its time to get other stuff done and paid for and get this shin dig started.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait are the injectors back-ordered for 2 months.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Wait are the injectors back-ordered for 2 months.
I'm guessing ID2600
Old Mar 4, 2021, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by blackline
I'm guessing ID2600
You are correct just the 2600s. My crank shipped today yay.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Update

Well looks like my crank and pistons have arrived at the shop. I asked what size pistons they ordered they said 87mm which should be fine for the 2.4 block. I paid for the block today so now they can get the block honed for the pistons and start the rest of the machine work. Rods I was told should be at the shop by the end of the month so i will have a short block done by then hopefully. I asked the shop to take pics of the engine build as well as the parts that came in. Weither they take them or not idk but I hope they do. More to come soon.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Well not much has changed since my last update but a few things are happening. The car goes in the shop for engine removal on Wed the 28th. The shop doesn't seem to like the Fluidamper that is on the car so I ended up ordering a ATI superdampner. The rods still aren't at the shop that I know of, and injectors I am still waiting on as well. I am having my bowls, valves, oil pump gears, and piston tops and skirts coated. I am using a company called Line2line here in Michigan. They are kinda like Swaintech but use zink as a base on the skirts and the thermobearing. It will do the same as the Swaintech as in helping against knock and helping better burn of the fuel on the pistons. I got everything done for just over 400 bucks which I felt was a very good price. So when the head comes off the car and gets walnut blasted and cleaned up it will be sent to Line2line for the coatings. I will have some stuff for sale once I get the car back so anyone in the market for the Fluidamper with about 4k miles on it, 2150s with pnp adapters, ams fmic, and a few other things I have them but am not going to post stuff for sale until I get the car back and can do it properly. Hopefully Mandy will take pics of the build and I can document it here for you guys.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
Hmmm, why didn't they like the Fluidampr? I got one that's going on in like 2 weeks but now you say this...durrr...
Old Apr 28, 2021, 01:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by osetsky
Hmmm, why didn't they like the Fluidampr? I got one that's going on in like 2 weeks but now you say this...durrr...
The tuner has had bad luck with them supposedly in the past with them flying off and personally I think its bs. I know the ATI is tunable and for a new engine it bolts up directly to the crank rather then as a normal pully. Idk I have had this on since I built my 2.4 and never had any issues what so ever. I am at the point I just want the car done. They wont tune it without a catch can either so that is another thing I am looking into. Its like stop spending money for me on stuff I don't technically need. This is a street car that I will drive in the summer not a drag car at the track. As for your situation I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you loctite the bolts so they don't fly off lol.

Quick Reply: Evo update