Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
The tuner has had bad luck with them supposedly in the past with them flying off and personally I think its bs. I know the ATI is tunable and for a new engine it bolts up directly to the crank rather then as a normal pully. Idk I have had this on since I built my 2.4 and never had any issues what so ever. I am at the point I just want the car done. They wont tune it without a catch can either so that is another thing I am looking into. Its like stop spending money for me on stuff I don't technically need. This is a street car that I will drive in the summer not a drag car at the track. As for your situation I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you loctite the bolts so they don't fly off lol.
Slomotion probs. They're good for telling you how to spend your money.
The following users liked this post:
thepoint4life23 (Apr 28, 2021)
Old Apr 28, 2021, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by staywide8
Slomotion probs. They're good for telling you how to spend your money.
Lol that they are. But thats ok I mean its not like I am downgrading or anything. Plus this thing is tunable so I understand. I am just looking forward to getting the car back and being able to have boost again.
staywide8 (Apr 29, 2021)
Old May 6, 2021, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Ask for Mundy to tune it on Haltech. Life will be much better. I had some very bad luck with slowmo tuning my car-corey tuned it on aem v2.
Sorry for quoting an old quote, but I did talk to Mundy out of your recommendation. He said he saw the car there already and inquired about it. He is going to talk to Corey Friday about it and wanting to tune it. He said knowing Corey for over 18 years he would be ok with it. He said that if Corey put a base tune in it and made the power pulls he would fine tune it. It is like he is willing to tag team with Corey to get it finished. Corey is really busy right now so he said he will prob ask him anyways for help. As for the v2 yeah Corey doesn't tune much of AEM. Bryan said all his cars have been Haltech and did not tune AEM as much so that sucks that your car was that ****ty after the tune. Brian assured me the car will be in good hands either way, and should be alot of fun to drive.

So the update is everything is paid for all except 43 dollars for just in case. Car is not in the shop yet so it is a few days behind. It was suppose to go in the 28th but they have a car on the rack waiting on some parts so it will be sometime next week. I was told my head, pistons, valves will be going out closer to June. So, with that said it is a waiting game. Once the car does go in the turbo will be sent out right away. I am thinking that I will have compressor side of the turbo coated as well. I was shown some info about doing that which helped the turbo spool a little faster and be more efficient. Funny thing is the artical referenced someone we all know (Kiggly). He did some testing for this shop on turbo stuff with great success. This thread will probably be silent for a bit while the car is under surgery. But with that said I will keep you guys updated when I get more info. Hopefully Mandy will take pics before everything gets put together and I can show off the goodies, along with the shops work. Thanks for all the help and support guys, it is much appreciated.
Old May 7, 2021, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for quoting an old quote, but I did talk to Mundy out of your recommendation. He said he saw the car there already and inquired about it. He is going to talk to Corey Friday about it and wanting to tune it. He said knowing Corey for over 18 years he would be ok with it. He said that if Corey put a base tune in it and made the power pulls he would fine tune it. It is like he is willing to tag team with Corey to get it finished. Corey is really busy right now so he said he will prob ask him anyways for help. As for the v2 yeah Corey doesn't tune much of AEM. Bryan said all his cars have been Haltech and did not tune AEM as much so that sucks that your car was that ****ty after the tune. Brian assured me the car will be in good hands either way, and should be alot of fun to drive.

So the update is everything is paid for all except 43 dollars for just in case. Car is not in the shop yet so it is a few days behind. It was suppose to go in the 28th but they have a car on the rack waiting on some parts so it will be sometime next week. I was told my head, pistons, valves will be going out closer to June. So, with that said it is a waiting game. Once the car does go in the turbo will be sent out right away. I am thinking that I will have compressor side of the turbo coated as well. I was shown some info about doing that which helped the turbo spool a little faster and be more efficient. Funny thing is the artical referenced someone we all know (Kiggly). He did some testing for this shop on turbo stuff with great success. This thread will probably be silent for a bit while the car is under surgery. But with that said I will keep you guys updated when I get more info. Hopefully Mandy will take pics before everything gets put together and I can show off the goodies, along with the shops work. Thanks for all the help and support guys, it is much appreciated.
I'm glad to hear that! I'm super particular on running conditions, and Mundy does an absolutely fantastic job with Haltech. ****er should work for them! LOL.
Old May 7, 2021, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm glad to hear that! I'm super particular on running conditions, and Mundy does an absolutely fantastic job with Haltech. ****er should work for them! LOL.
He actually does. But as a subcontractor. I myself am the same way, my car has never run the way I wanted it to and normal driving conditions blew. After the shop found those broken or cut wires and fixed them, I was assured it would drive the way I wanted it to and have a normal operating feel to it.
Old May 7, 2021, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

He actually does. But as a subcontractor. I myself am the same way, my car has never run the way I wanted it to and normal driving conditions blew. After the shop found those broken or cut wires and fixed them, I was assured it would drive the way I wanted it to and have a normal operating feel to it.
I meant for Haltech. He sublets for Slowmotion and Kontras performance. Kontras, used to work for slowmo and then went out on his own.
Old May 7, 2021, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

I meant for Haltech. He sublets for Slowmotion and Kontras performance. Kontras, used to work for slowmo and then went out on his own.
AH ok that makes since. Anyways he is suppose to get back to me sometime today or maybe this weekend about what the shop said
Old May 10, 2021, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hopefully your car is done by the Slowmo track day!
Old May 10, 2021, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
I agree. I"ll be there, and would love to see it!
Old May 10, 2021, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

I agree. I"ll be there, and would love to see it!
I was thinking of trying to go to that, but I don't think I can get work off to go. My work is stingy on giving days off during race season. I mean it's like pulling teeth to get time off for the shootout every year.
Old May 12, 2021, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
How did you reach out to Mundy?
Old May 12, 2021, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

I can get you in contact with him, but easiest way imo without his number is to call Kontras. He's there every Friday anyway.
thepoint4life23 (May 12, 2021)
Old May 12, 2021, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

his web page just search his name
Old May 13, 2021, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Well I finally figured out what I am going to do about my catch can situation. Cleaning out some stuff in my garage I found a box and I am like wtf is this? I open it and it was a stm vented trans mounted catch can. I am like oh I forgot about this. I will have the -6 fittings cut out and -10s put in and problem solved. Now I have to put some money away for a timing belt. They use only HKS belts. I asked Mandi what was wrong with the Gates and she said personal preference. I said Gates is kevlar like the HKS and its 100 bucks cheaper lol. She just said price to pay to make 1000 whp.
Old May 14, 2021, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Update:

Well I finally figured out what I am going to do about my catch can situation. Cleaning out some stuff in my garage I found a box and I am like wtf is this? I open it and it was a stm vented trans mounted catch can. I am like oh I forgot about this. I will have the -6 fittings cut out and -10s put in and problem solved. Now I have to put some money away for a timing belt. They use only HKS belts. I asked Mandi what was wrong with the Gates and she said personal preference. I said Gates is kevlar like the HKS and its 100 bucks cheaper lol. She just said price to pay to make 1000 whp.
Hahaha. Shes not changed. Do what they say, so if there's an issue, theyll stand behind it. When they tuned my car, they RECOMMENDED head oringing. I asked why, they didnt really explain it well, and I decided against it due to longevity of that head being used. Fast forward to after tune. Corey takes it out to test boost, and shoots a freeze plug out the front of the block. I ask them to fix it, since I hadnt taken the car. They told me it'd be a month or so before fix and it was due to not going with their choices. Just a head up!

Quick Reply: Evo update