Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Evo update

Well as many of you know I have had issues with my car since I decided to go larger turbo and other misc things. One of those is my new Bulletproof racing dper and my ign1a coil setup. Well since I added those the car will not start and I am having all kinda issues in my Haltech that is odd to me being it was never there before. My map sensor has weird readings key on -14.7 instead of 0. Doesn't matter what inputs I use on the Haltech and what map sensors I use, they all have different readings with proper calibrations. So with that said, today I took my car to Slowmotion Motorsports in Ohio. I have talked to them for a few weeks now and today was the day it went down. I need them to figure out wtf is going on with my car being my job making valvesprings and my gf keep me from doing anything car related. Although my gf really enjoys cars and what nots she doesn't understand why I put so much money into this car and it still doesn't run. LOL isn't that what every woman says when they don't understand stuff like this.

Anyways I am having them look into this map sensor issue and have the car tuned after they get it started. I am also going to have them make me a 3" uicp to match my s90 tb. My goal is 1000 wheel, and I know my setup will be enough to make that # but I don't want to get into oh its x dyno. Yes they use a dynapack dyno and honestly I don't care one way or another. Sure they have different ways of measuring how the dyno reads but again I don't care I just want the sheet that reads 1000 wheel so I can throw it in the face of the v8 guys at work. I am going to have them look into my wiring into the car for my ign1a stuff too being I had to wire it in the cabin to get it to fire. All in all I will say they are one of the more professional shops I have worked with to this day. Mandi is very knowledgeable with her stuff and top notch for customer service. Yes they are a small shop 5 or 6 people so you expect some delays being they do get pretty busy.

My hope is to get the car running and tuned, work out all the bugs I may have and maybe add a few things if the budget is there. I am adding a Kiggly trigger gizmo for the Haltech to help with the starting. I want to add a larger fmic being I know the AMS will not support 1000whp but it will get me close 800 or so. I plan on running a 4d map for the boost and try to get them to tune the car for the way I drive being I can do that with the Haltech. I was thinking on maybe doing a switch where I can completely cut out the boost controller all together and run wg pressure at 25 lbs for when I am not at the track. This isn't a race car by any means (wink wink) but a street car it is. I will try to update this thread being my actual build thread kinda got lost and basically I have changed everything lol. So when I get an update on stuff I will update this and post the dyno #s and what nots and you guys can check it out as we go.

Thanks for reading sorry so long lol.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Well it has been a few days and the shop has been in contact with me. This isn't what I wanted to see but at this point for what they found this is the right move. I will say I am pissed at what they found. It is a shame that places do half *** work and charge so much to get it out the door. I get I can be impatient, but with that said when you tell me a month or 2 and it ends up being 10 months ya get a little pissed. So without further due this is what they send me.

As you can see they are starting completely over. With everything that has gone on with this car, I am completely ok with it. I will tell anyone who needs work done to their evo, Slow motion in Sunbury, Oh is no joke and definitely worth the money you spend there. I give props to Corey and his team ( although he was out of town the day I was there lol). Mandi is great, shes very knowledgeable at just about everything I asked. Brad the tech working on my car knows his stuff and even the guys who helped me get the car off the trailer were all around good dudes from first glance.

They are going to put an AEM ems on the car to make sure things are ok and it will start. I thought I had some issues with the car being I had washed the cylinders by accident. I thought I had shut off the injectors in the Haltech and I didn't doh. So they are going to AEM it and try to get it to start and see if there is anything else wrong. I know your asking well it already had a Haltech why downgrade to an AEM? Well it is because they are sending the Haltech out to have it looked at being well they have to fix all the wiring in the car being it was hacked up and poorly done, and to make sure nothing was damaged being I have problems with no map sensor and whatever other problems I am forgetting. More to come in a few days hopefully.
The following users liked this post:
BLK_EvIL (Jan 12, 2021)
Old Jan 14, 2021, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok another update today. I got an email from Mandi asking me where I got it and if I knew it was the wrong harness. I had told her that when I got this harness and ecu the 1500 was fairly new and that Haltech said it would work just fine. She asked if the guy who originally did the work rewired it to make it work with the car and honestly idk. So bearer of bad news is I either buy a new harness or pay their tech to rewire it and have him hate me more then he already does right now lol. I opted to buy a new one and make it easy on their tech Brad. I am waiting on her to get back to me about cost. I know they are like 550 or some **** but she said she will see what she can do.

They did a leak down test today and got my map sensor reading. I am definitely not happy about the results. She thinks its cause the car is cold and has sat for a bit but shes said 3 of the 4 cylinders were 26% and the 4th cylinder was at like 20%. Compression was extremely low as well which is to be expected being the car has not ran since April. Compression was 180,175,180,140. I had told her in the summer when I did it, it was a lot higher then that. I was in the 200s on the high side and low side 180s. Either way ring sounds like its gone or going bad in cylinder 4. Not happy with that being this motor has only 5500 miles on it since 2015.

She also told me that there was air coming out everywhere during leak down test. Wtf I paid 15000 to have a motor and head built and installed and the **** leaks like crazy? Definitely not happy now but at least now I have the right people doing the job. Another thing is I have a problem with my starter. It is making a terrible noise and I don't know why. I have another one warrantied from autozone and that makes a similar noise so idk what that is. I have an oem one that was used and it makes the same noise. I am going to be over my budget and I still don't know what else they are going to find. More to come stay tuned.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sucks man about all the bad luck and bad work you had. Happy to see the car is getting done right now. Cory and Mandi are good people
Old Jan 15, 2021, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Sucks man about all the bad luck and bad work you had. Happy to see the car is getting done right now. Cory and Mandi are good people
Thanks man, yes Corey and Mandi are great. She's been in contact with me just about every day on progress and what nots. I am looking forward to getting it on the dyno, but I know Corey's worried about the headgasket going. Idk we will see
Old Jan 26, 2021, 01:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Ok update time. Lots of bad news floating around my evo. Yesterday Mandi called and said that the sound I was hearing that I thought might have been a bad starter turns out to be my flywheel is ****ed up. Great another 389 dollar part that has to go in plus labor. Then the bad news hits. Corey isn't comfortable tuning my car with my setup with my compression ratio of 12.5:1 past wastegate pressures being he feels being the block isn't oringed its just going to pop. Ok I get that plenty of tuners have turned me away because of that. Second thing is after getting things worked out compression and leakdown #s come in as follows.

Compression: Leakdown:
Cylinder 1 -182 Cylinder 1 - 24%
Cylinder 2 -171 Cylinder 2 - 27%
Cylinder 3 -186 Cylinder 3 - 30%
Cylinder 4 -182 Cylinder 4 - 23%

Not good news on that front. I hurt the motor messing around with it. Sad thing is the engine has only 5000 miles on it. I mean it isn't the end of the world by no means but I think it is time to just dump the 2.4 and just get the 2.2. That way people can at least tune it and I can make the power I am wanting. So needless to say whats another 5300 bucks? I have come this far and they have been very good to me and I appreciate all the hard work they did for me to get this thing straightened around. There will be more updates coming so stay tuned.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

is The leak down numbers the issue or the one cylinder at 171? Don't they sometimes have Bryan Mundy tune stuff?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

is The leak down numbers the issue or the one cylinder at 171? Don't they sometimes have Bryan Mundy tune stuff?
I don't know if Bryan does or not. I wanna say he does once a month or whatever. I do know when the car was ok compression was in the 200s with those cams. Leak down was done cold so I don't buy to much into it really. Corey flat out told me hes afraid to tune the car with the compression thats in the car. He said wastegate pressure would be ok but anything over that without orings hes not comfortable. I mean I get it and I appreciate hes honest with me about it. I have had plenty of tuners blow smoke up my *** about ding things and they don't end up doing it.With wastegate pressure car won't make much power prob less then it did with the last turbo and thats not ok with me. So to make things the way they need to be i need to open up the pocketbook and find cash i do not have to fix this.

The car did fire today though and I have a sad video i will post that made me want to get sick.They are going to put all the flex fuel stuff back in and my wideband and I will go pick it up with basically a base tune in it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5114.MOV (3.34 MB, 0 views)
Old Jan 27, 2021, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Could the head be an issue at this time? i
s that just E85 mixed with the oil?

Sorry for some many questions just invested in your build now.

Last edited by thepoint4life23; Jan 27, 2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 06:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Could the head be an issue at this time? i
s that just E85 mixed with the oil?

Sorry for some many questions just invested in your build now.
Lol no worries I thank you for taking interest in my build. Yes that's e85 separating from the oil as it comes out. Corey doesn't feel safe tuning because of no o rings anywhere, the head should be fine. Whatever was wrong with the car just kept dumping fuel into the cylinders and not igniting the fuel at all
Old Jan 27, 2021, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
The 2.2 (4g63/94mm ) setup really is the way to go. I'd drop the compression to 8-9:1 add boost and enjoy it for a while.

Any 100mm crank isn't going to like over 800hp +.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Abacus
The 2.2 (4g63/94mm ) setup really is the way to go. I'd drop the compression to 8-9:1 add boost and enjoy it for a while.

Any 100mm crank isn't going to like over 800hp +.
Thats exactly what I am going to do. I am going either 9.1 or 10.5 depends on what Corey wants to do. I told him I wanted a fat power band and he laughed and said 2.2 no problem so we will see. I mean it's a street car I don't wanna have to push a million lbs of boost to make the power I wanted, hense the really high compression to begin with. All in all as u said the 2.2 is the way to go and I don't have to fight the engine anymore I can just drive it and have fun.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Well today I got the good news that I have acquired the funds to get my engine done. With that said I am going to make some extra changes partly cause they are needed, but cause I want the change. With that said the engine will look like this.

Slowmotion 2.2
Manley I beam 162mm rods with 625 rod bolts
Manley Extreme duty pistons with Swaintech coatings on top and skirts.
Arp main studs
Callies compstart 94mm billet crank
Forced Engineering head
Psi valvesprings
Ferrea valves
Kelford 288s
Kiggly hla
Jm fabs billet intake mani
S90 74mm tb
2.5" inch lower ic pipe
3" upper
Magnus fuel rail -10 feed -8 return
Id 2600s
Ets 5" fmic
Bullet proof double pumper with dual 525s

to much to list but you get the point lol. Needless to say I am exctied to get it rolling

Last edited by CurseDSM; Feb 6, 2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Update
Ok well i got a call from Mandi today.. They found a bad -10 that was leaking under the car going to my fuel filter. Easy fix right. They also said my brand new turbo was pissing oil out of both side of the turbo. I was a little freaked out at first, but called my turbo guy and told him what was going on and he was like don't worry about it thermocycle it and the stuff should reseat and seal back up with good fresh oil. Other then that crank, injectors and fmic are on order.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

well another bad update. Seems like e85 took a toll on my turbo as well less then 200 miles on it with 0 boost and it's shot. Here's the video. Trying to do this on my phone, hopefully it is there if not I will fix it when I get back home

​​​​

Last edited by CurseDSM; Jan 30, 2021 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo update