Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

TheWhiteEvo / Evo 4 Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Such a nice Evo you got there you're lucky in Utah that you can register those 25 year imports! Komifornia we don't get to have anything nice or fun haha. But on a serious note I'd go back to what ever works for sure with no problesm as far as the tune goes, especially if you aren't going to be pushing big boost/ power. Just get that car driving right and enjoy it, the Evo 4-6 chassis was always my go to in Gran Turismo haha!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 07:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I’ve been really bad at updating this due to trying to get the Evo 4 ready for the deadline I set for myself which was this past weekend for the local car show Import Spring Showoff. It’s one of the biggest shows in SLC so I thought it would be a good debut for the car.
The shop that helped with the engine when it first arrived offered to have it at their booth for the show so the pressure was on to finish it.

I ended up selling the Volk TE37s and was finally able to roll the rear fenders.

I sourced an Evo 4 MAF sensor and a new air filter as the one on the car didn’t quite fit with the sensor and adapter installed.

The front bumper came off and went to the body shop to have one of the mounting tabs repaired, and I replaced both front fog light bulbs. I had this weird issue where one was lighting up brighter than the other and come to find out that one had a bulb deflector where the other did not have one installed at all.

I had to order longer rear shocks and springs from ISC as the original set that came with the coilovers sat lower than my preference. &then I got it aligned.

I replaced all the badges and decals with original from the dealership.

I obtained a set of Work Dunlop Rozest SS01 Competition wheels that my friend came across on FB and purchased them. They’re the perfect fitment, 17x8 +45 5x114.3. Only issue was the center hub was about 65mm and the Evo is a 67mm wheel bore, so we had to shave off a little of the center hub to get them to seat right. But I honestly dont think Ive seen a more proper wheel on these cars.

I got the tires mounted on the wheels on Friday with a day to spare before the show. I took it out to the show on Saturday morning and parked it at my friends booth and went back to help out with my work’s booth. Next thing I know, its the award ceremony and a friend is coming up to me yelling you won an award, come up! The Evo had won “Favorite Mitsubishi/DSM 4Dr” I didn’t even realize booth cars were entered into the running so Im very exciting about this and it kind of made the last month of stress and late nights a little more worth it.

There’s still some work to do on the car.
Still figuring out the tune - its running super lean since I installed the MAF and air filter.
And some bushings and gaskets need replaced along with some engine bay work with some hoses and pipes that are crushed against each other.

Overall, I love how it has all come together and I feel like it is finally my own.

The following 2 users liked this post by zk8913:
osetsky (May 5, 2024), SoSoEVO (Jul 25, 2022)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 08:34 AM

When I got the car back from the show last month it had started running super lean and making this horrible noise. The noise was coming from the timing side of the motor. I tried replacing the fuel filter as it looked old and thought maybe it could be blocked causing it to run lean.
The fuel filter was disgusting and definitely needed replaced, however it didnt fix either of my issues. I had the guys at JDMi Garage pick it up to see if they could dive in deeper and get it sorted out. Oddly enough it started having the issue intermittently so it made it more difficult to diagnose.

It ended up that the crank trigger plate was slightly bent and making the horrible noise. On top of that, when they went to remove the crank bolt to replace the plate, the bolt was completely stripped out. Thankfully, they were able to retap it with no issues.
osetsky (May 5, 2024), SoSoEVO (Jul 25, 2022)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by zk8913

Daaaamn that is straight out of Initial D. LOVE IT
The following users liked this post:
zk8913 (Jul 26, 2022)
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:24 PM

Just realizing I missed a couple of the more recent posts thst I added to a different form. Im just going to start with this year. Updates:
  • I drove the IV from SLC to SoCal for their MOD day mid Summer which was BRUTAL through Vegas with NO A/C, I need to figure out what my system is missing ASAP before we hit Summer in SLC. The SoCal MOD at Redondo Mitsubishi was a great event and it was nice to meet a lot more people in person that Ive connected with over social media. I did get hit with some debris on the highway though which sliced my driver headlight and fender, so I need to get those repaired/replaced still.
  • I hosted our first annual Evo Snap Session last Fall, which was a 4-hour photo session for any Evos that wanted to show to get free content for the owners but also content for my brand All The Evos
  • I daily drove the IV most of the winter and now were in Spring here in Salt Lake so things are happening again!

I used to own a black Evo 8 that I did a couple of rallyx sessions with back East and it was a blast! I've wanted to get back into rallyx ever since. My original goal with the Evo IV was to do just that but when it arrived a couple years ago and was one of the first ones in the states everyone convinced me not to because it was clean and "rare." However, the time has come, my IV is a little more weathered and I cant resist any longer.

I took the coilovers off and installed OEM suspension and swapped my beloved Dunlop SSR Rozest wheels out for a OZ Racing set (that really looks very similar.) The car was aligned and I signed up for the first local Rallyx event of the season with the Utah Rally Group!

Upcoming Plans:
  • Find missing A/C components
  • Buy new set of headlights
  • Repair fender
  • Install front fender liners
  • Install mudflaps that I still have from my old black Evo
  • Look into options for skid plate
  • Repair front lip (I ripped a side off recently trying to meet my friends on a dirt bike trail)
  • Utah Evo Meet 5/4
  • SLC MOD 5/26
  • Hit all but one of the Rallyx events (Ill be out of town for one)
And I think thats it. Eventually I want to do a mini livery on the car but I need to get a turbo for my 8 and I picked up a 350z to learn how to drift so those are taking some money right now.
osetsky (Apr 29, 2024), schuhie (Apr 29, 2024)
Old May 3, 2024, 11:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks sick!
Old May 11, 2024, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this build !

Last edited by joelle king; May 12, 2024 at 09:59 AM.