Notices
For Sale - Group Buys Have a group buy going on? Post it in here.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Quaife Front Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife Front Limited Slip Differential

Delete

Last edited by evojon; May 13, 2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Canx'ed
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a maybe, depends if I can come into some money by then.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Right now supply is too limited for a group buy. Add in that Quaife had me pay for a new broach to cut the splines and I dont make much on these. I have 30 comming in early June and 13 are already sold. The next run will be in August at the earliest. To get a price break I would have to buy at least 50 all at once and everyone would need to put in a deposit by June and you would not get them till September. It does not sound like fun to me :-P Even at that quantity it only lowers my cost by $80.

Group buys get quantities up to get prices down. But we already need to order them 30 at a time and we try to sell them at a reasonable price. I dont jack part prices up 50% just so I can give a fake discount.

Mike W
Old May 1, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

This is about two months late for me.......... good luck though.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evojon
My front dif has been making some noise for awhile now. I have not been beating on it too hard as I feel I have weakend it from doin donuts or whatever.
Dead and dieing front diffs typically dont make whining noises that you would put off. They make horrible crunching rock grinding noises from broken teeth getting chewed up. Broken diffs will make noises more when the vehicle is making a turn and the differential is dealing with the speed difference between the wheels. If it is making noises driving straight down the road and it gets louder the faster you go, that is more the ring and pinion gear in the transfer case. If you hear whining (think of an old pick up truck with a 300,000 mile rear end howl) then most likely your transfer case ring and pinion gear is pissed off. Get a hold of someone like Shepard Racing for that.

Mike W
Old May 1, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Mike W,

Thank you for the quick input on this, letting us know the ins and outs of the game. Also thanks for the trouble shooting post that followed.

My diff only makes noise (4X4 mudder tires sound kind of) when I lift off the throttle. Any gear, any speed. I was hoping for the diff as I could swap it out. Otherwise my daily driver is out for a week or so while the TC goes to Shep.

Oh well, my problem.

Thanks again for your input.
John
Old May 1, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

And that might be only coast down gear slop noise from a solid hub clutch disc or one with stiffer springs. Yeah! Dont buy my stuff! HAhahaha

What clutch do you have?

Mike W
Old May 2, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Mike, My clutch is stock with 37,xxx miles right now, BUT, I got this sweet AMS EXEDY HD twin carbon that I got from another member. NIB. I'm just hoping to fix my problem and install the clutch at the same time. Bad throw out bearing and just a noisey clutch have been considered because if I push in the clutch (any gear, any speed) then lift off the gas, the sound is not heard. The noise is not very loud but it's there on every decel. It does not seem to be getting worse. On a recent trip I seemed to have more drive train noise and vibration than I remembered before. Changed fluids with Dia Queen for the TC and rear diff. Penzoil synchroshift in the tranny. Chcked levels, all good. Otherwise, I've smoked the clutch about five times pseudo launching and done donuts on two occasions. Drive my car like 250 miles a week and love every minute of it. I know that this is a rally car from a manufacturer that is not known for premium cars and do not mind the harder edged, primitive sound and feel of the ride. But this grinding sound does not sound normal.

Read everything on your site about the diffs (good stuff), and kinda narrowed it down to the diff. Did not want to consider ring and pinion or tranny. A bad ring and pinion gets you a new TC right?

Thanks for your time and your thoughts on this,
John
Old May 2, 2006, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evojon
Mike, My clutch is stock with 37,xxx miles right now, BUT, I got this sweet AMS EXEDY HD twin carbon that I got from another member. NIB. I'm just hoping to fix my problem and install the clutch at the same time. Bad throw out bearing and just a noisey clutch have been considered because if I push in the clutch (any gear, any speed) then lift off the gas, the sound is not heard. The noise is not very loud but it's there on every decel. It does not seem to be getting worse. On a recent trip I seemed to have more drive train noise and vibration than I remembered before. Changed fluids with Dia Queen for the TC and rear diff. Penzoil synchroshift in the tranny. Chcked levels, all good. Otherwise, I've smoked the clutch about five times pseudo launching and done donuts on two occasions. Drive my car like 250 miles a week and love every minute of it. I know that this is a rally car from a manufacturer that is not known for premium cars and do not mind the harder edged, primitive sound and feel of the ride. But this grinding sound does not sound normal.

Read everything on your site about the diffs (good stuff), and kinda narrowed it down to the diff. Did not want to consider ring and pinion or tranny. A bad ring and pinion gets you a new TC right?

Thanks for your time and your thoughts on this,
John

Doing donuts will kill your axels(sp) in the front.What mods do you have? What were you launcing @ 4k, 6k?
Did you check your fluids for shavings? TC/tranny?

It could be your clutch.
Just change your clutch/TOB (since you have it) and see if it fixes it.
If not then post up the problem again.
Old May 8, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys,

Moderators, please delete this thread.

Thanks,
evojon