Notices
For Sale/WTB - Engine / Drivetrain / Power Includes exhausts, cams, clutches, flywheels and all other power related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Exedy twin disc - lightly used, w/ xtras

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FS: Exedy twin disc - lightly used, w/ xtras

*** SOLD ***

For sale:

Exedy cerametallic twin disc clutch (Model # MM022SD). Inspected by Exedy and approved for use. Used for less than 3,400 miles. 3 out of 4 clutch pad surfaces have no measurable wear. 4th clutch pad face shows about 0.1mm of measurable wear. Alignment tool included. All hardware, installation documentation, decals from retail package included. Exedy instructional movie CD included. $700 shipped.

Note - the Exedy clutch comes with its own flywheel. You can't use the stock flywheel with this clutch because the Exedy is a smaller diameter.

PayPal note - because I don't have a PayPal merchant acct, I can't accept PayPal funds from a credit card; only debit cards or bank account funded PayPal. The fees are too much for as much as I use PayPal. Sorry.

My eBay feedback is here.

Photos (many!) of all components, install documents, Exedy report, and included items here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejevo8/...7594250508614/

And now, the REST of the story.

The long story...

Having used up my stock clutch autocrossing, I purchased a new Exedy twin disc clutch in June of 2005 and had it installed by my Mitsubishi dealership. I was very gentle with the clutch during the recommended break in (750 miles), meaning no hard launches and no engagements above 4k RPMs. So just as the break in is ending, the clutch starts misbehaving: noticeable clutch drag when it's depressed and the shifter is in gear, and an odd occasional engagement of catch-slip-catch. Take it back to the dealer who shrugs their shoulders. Nice. Driving to Boston one weekend and am stuck in stop-n-go traffic, and the clutch is dragging like normal, when suddenly it stops dragging. Nice! Ran it for 3 months without a problem, and even did some autocrossing, but didn't launch it like I used to the stock clutch. The dozen or so launches I did on it during 2 autocrosses were done in the 4k-4.5k RPM range, pretty much more like aggressive engagement than true launches. Around the end of October 2005, the clutch drag slowly shows up again. Finally, in December 2005, I take it to Turbo Trix in Edison, NJ. They pull the clutch, but see nothing wrong with it. Rather than reinstall it and possibly experience the same problems, I end up putting in a new ACT clutch at Turbo Trix's suggestion. (Al Friedman's suggestion was to sue the dealership ).

Now I'm kind of annoyed, having dropped big bucks on a supposedly great clutch, and dropping even more money on a 2nd one, so I contact Exedy in early January of 2006. This is where the happy ending comes in. I get in touch (calmly and in a civil tone) with Bernie Solomon of Exedy, who talks to me about the clutch. After an email conversation and a phone discussion which was requested by Bernie, Bernie offers to have the clutch shipped to Daikin/Exedy in Michigan for inspection, at Exedy's expense. I agree, and they issue a pickup from UPS. The clutch goes out and I wait about 2 weeks, until I get a phone call one evening at home from Bernie. Bernie has an Exedy engineer from Japan with him and they've just got done inspecting the clutch. They tell me they found 3 things that would explain my issues:

1) some burrs on a portion of splines of one of the clutch discs (probable cause - angling tranny when reinstalling)
2) grease contamination of one side of one of the discs (tranny side disc) (probable cause - too much grease on drive shaft or accidental smearing of grease on component)
3) small amount of corrosion on portion of one component's splines (probable cause - grease not spread uniformly on drive shaft)

The end result of these things - the burr probably was causing my clutch drag. The grease contamination was probably causing the odd engagement, and the lack of grease on one of the disc's splines probably contributed to the clutch drag issue. Bernie mentioned that they only found one side of the four sides of clutch pads that showed any wear - the clutch disc with the burr on it. He said that fit in perfectly with their theory that the burr caused the dragging, and thus the extra wear on the one side of the one disc. 0.1mm of wear - one tenth of a millimeter - out of 3 mm of clutch pad material on each side.

So, Bernie asks who installed the clutch. He expects me to say I did it, but I inform him the dealership did it, and he says that was my big mistake. He then recommends a shop in my area (Pruven Performance - 3 hrs away, but living upstate in NY I'm used to that) for Exedy clutch installs. He says that the clutch is fine and can either be reinstalled in my car, or I can sell it - Exedy proclaims it OK. They cleaned it up, but they did leave the burr on the spline in order to prove their findings to me. I have since filed it down, but would suggest the purchaser inspect it again before installing it. Exedy marked it with blue paint where the burr was (see pics link). The grease contamination they cleaned up but I could still see the discoloration as proof. Bernie then informed me he was sending me an alignment tool, a printed report of their findings, some installation and instructional movies about Exedy clutches on CD, and some brochures and a catalog.

What did I owe for all of this service after the sale? NOTHING! All Bernie asked me was to agree to ONE thing - to spread the word about Exedy clutches and their committment to customer service. He asked that if anyone has any issues with their Exedy clutches to please contact him or Exedy FIRST before posting all over the place that they are bad or junk or whatever. I agreed, and here is my end of the bargain fulfilled.

I have never had a company address my problems in such a straightforward, helpful, and easy manner as Exedy did. Exedy was simply awesome. I have had problems with at least 1 other company who shall remain nameless, not from an Evo perspective, but active on this board, who never came close to that level of service. I want to thank Bernie Solomon at Exedy for all the help, service, and products that he provided to me.

All of this is documented in the photos link at the top - I even have pics of the report, the CD, the UPS pickup tag, etc. If you have any questions, please either post in this thread or email me. PMs are lousy for me because I can't check them during the day, and I routinely forget to look for them while on the board. I get all sorts of notifications at home and at work when I receive emails or posts to a thread. Email can go to EJEvo8@gmail.com.

*edit* - added PayPal blurb, 2nd paragraph.
*edit* - added note about included flywheel.
*edit* - final reduction in price, removed throwout bearing.

Last edited by EJEvo; Dec 3, 2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: make it clear it's been sold
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

You can also see the photos as a slideshow ...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the most extreme "support your product" story I've ever heard. Good for Exedy! This will, in the long run, earn them more money than they spent analyzing the clutch for you. I wish more product companies had this attitude.

I'd buy your clutch, except that I haven't used up my second one yet. :-)

Originally Posted by EJEvo
For sale:

Exedy cerametallic twin disc clutch (Model # MM022SD). Inspected by Exedy and approved for use. Used for less than 3,400 miles. 3 out of 4 clutch pad surfaces have no measurable wear. 4th clutch pad face shows about 0.1mm of measurable wear. New throwout bearing and alignment tool included. All hardware, installation documentation, decals from retail package included. Exedy instructional movie CD included. $940 shipped.

Photos (many!) of all components, install documents, Exedy report, and included items here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejevo8/...7594250508614/

And now, the REST of the story.

The long story...

Having used up my stock clutch autocrossing, I purchased a new Exedy twin disc clutch in June of 2005 and had it installed by my Mitsubishi dealership. I was very gentle with the clutch during the recommended break in (750 miles), meaning no hard launches and no engagements above 4k RPMs. So just as the break in is ending, the clutch starts misbehaving: noticeable clutch drag when it's depressed and the shifter is in gear, and an odd occasional engagement of catch-slip-catch. Take it back to the dealer who shrugs their shoulders. Nice. Driving to Boston one weekend and am stuck in stop-n-go traffic, and the clutch is dragging like normal, when suddenly it stops dragging. Nice! Ran it for 3 months without a problem, and even did some autocrossing, but didn't launch it like I used to the stock clutch. The dozen or so launches I did on it during 2 autocrosses were done in the 4k-4.5k RPM range, pretty much more like aggressive engagement than true launches. Around the end of October 2005, the clutch drag slowly shows up again. Finally, in December 2005, I take it to Turbo Trix in Edison, NJ. They pull the clutch, but see nothing wrong with it. Rather than reinstall it and possibly experience the same problems, I end up putting in a new ACT clutch at Turbo Trix's suggestion. (Al Friedman's suggestion was to sue the dealership ).

Now I'm kind of annoyed, having dropped big bucks on a supposedly great clutch, and dropping even more money on a 2nd one, so I contact Exedy in early January of 2006. This is where the happy ending comes in. I get in touch (calmly and in a civil tone) with Bernie Solomon of Exedy, who talks to me about the clutch. After an email conversation and a phone discussion which was requested by Bernie, Bernie offers to have the clutch shipped to Daikin/Exedy in Michigan for inspection, at Exedy's expense. I agree, and they issue a pickup from UPS. The clutch goes out and I wait about 2 weeks, until I get a phone call one evening at home from Bernie. Bernie has an Exedy engineer from Japan with him and they've just got done inspecting the clutch. They tell me they found 3 things that would explain my issues:

1) some burrs on a portion of splines of one of the clutch discs (probable cause - angling tranny when reinstalling)
2) grease contamination of one side of one of the discs (tranny side disc) (probable cause - too much grease on drive shaft or accidental smearing of grease on component)
3) small amount of corrosion on portion of one component's splines (probable cause - grease not spread uniformly on drive shaft)

The end result of these things - the burr probably was causing my clutch drag. The grease contamination was probably causing the odd engagement, and the lack of grease on one of the disc's splines probably contributed to the clutch drag issue. Bernie mentioned that they only found one side of the four sides of clutch pads that showed any wear - the clutch disc with the burr on it. He said that fit in perfectly with their theory that the burr caused the dragging, and thus the extra wear on the one side of the one disc. 0.1mm of wear - one tenth of a millimeter - out of 3 mm of clutch pad material on each side.

So, Bernie asks who installed the clutch. He expects me to say I did it, but I inform him the dealership did it, and he says that was my big mistake. He then recommends a shop in my area (3 hrs away, but living upstate in NY I'm used to that) for Exedy clutch installs. He says that the clutch is fine and can either be reinstalled in my car, or I can sell it - Exedy proclaims it OK. They cleaned it up, but they did leave the burr on the spline in order to prove their findings to me. I have since filed it down, but would suggest the purchaser inspect it again before installing it. Exedy marked it with blue paint where the burr was (see pics link). The grease contamination they cleaned up but I could still see the discoloration as proof. Bernie then informed me he was sending me a new throwout bearing, an alignment tool, a printed report of their findings, some installation and instructional movies about Exedy clutches on CD, and some brochures and a catalog.

What did I owe for all of this service after the sale? NOTHING! All Bernie asked me was to agree to ONE thing - to spread the word about Exedy clutches and their committment to customer service. He asked that if anyone has any issues with their Exedy clutches to please contact him or Exedy FIRST before posting all over the place that they are bad or junk or whatever. I agreed, and here is my end of the bargain fulfilled.

I have never had a company address my problems in such a straightforward, helpful, and easy manner as Exedy did. Exedy was simply awesome. I have had problems with at least 1 other company who shall remain nameless, not from an Evo perspective, but active on this board, who never came close to that level of service. I want to thank Bernie Solomon at Exedy for all the help, service, and products that he provided to me.

All of this is documented in the photos link at the top - I even have pics of the report, the CD, the UPS pickup tag, etc. If you have any questions, please either post in this thread or email me. PMs are lousy for me because I can't check them during the day, and I routinely forget to look for them while on the board. I get all sorts of notifications at home and at work when I receive emails or posts to a thread. Email can go to EJEvo8@gmail.com.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

bump - lower price.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Im interested, but can you guarentee it will be in perfect working order?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luke WL.
I think the story above speaks for itself. If you were selling a "USED" product, would you offer a "guarentee" ??? <<< In any event I am not the seller, I can not speak for him. Mybe he might......
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

true...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$750 is a great deal for that clutch...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Luke WL.
Hi Luke,

What I can and have done is my best to determine it's true condition at this point. The manufacturer, Exedy, has inspected it and said it is fine, and that I could either reinstall it or sell it. Since I've paid $600 for each clutch install, and I'm happy with my ACT for now, I'm choosing to sell the Exedy. I can say that I know of no reason that this clutch would be problematic, other than my original experience, which Exedy claims has been remedied (burr removal, and hopefully a knowledgeable installer provided by the purchaser). I have also posted as many pics as I can of each component (except for the hex bolts, which are only seen in a group photo ) in order to provide as good a representation of the clutch as possible.

What's missing at this point? It would have been nice for Exedy to provide their conclusions in writing as well. All I have is the phone call from Bernie Solomon stating that the clutch is in good, useable condition. Unfortunately, I don't have that, which sucks for me, because then I have to sell a $1300 clutch for $750. Why didn't I ask for it in writing at the time? Because back in January I figured I'd just hold onto it and use it when I needed it, but over the last few months I've realized that's not really a great plan.

I'm like you - I want to know what I'm buying before I lay down money. I've attempted to give everyone the true picture as best I can.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mattyb1
I think the story above speaks for itself. If you were selling a "USED" product, would you offer a "guarentee" ??? <<< In any event I am not the seller, I can not speak for him. Mybe he might......
You pretty much speak for me, Matt.

I can't offer a guarantee, just all the facts I have and what Exedy/Bernie Solomon has told me.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Someone PM'd me asking if they would need a flywheel...

This clutch comes with a flywheel. In fact, you can't use the clutch with the stock flywheel because the clutch is much smaller in diameter than the stocker. There's a reason Exedy made it smaller in diameter, but I can't remember why (believe I read that on the Exedy web site).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

PM's sent to those inquiring...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

For those ppl who are PMing me: I'm headed to Boston today @ 1-2pm EDT for a driving event, so I probably won't have access to this thread, PMs, and emails until I get back Sunday afternoon.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

"I'm back from Boston" bump.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

2 days before eBay bump.