Notices
For Sale/WTB - Engine / Drivetrain / Power Includes exhausts, cams, clutches, flywheels and all other power related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

EVO 8 Transfer Case with TRE Ralliart Helical LSD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe me I don't drive my car hard anymore. I baby it as much as I can. I just feel that the only way for me to fix this problem is either by a new daily driver and let the evo chill in the garage until I can afford to fix it or straight up get a brand spanking new TC that will last me. Like I said it's my daily driver and I can't afford not to have a car.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by megatron
Believe me I don't drive my car hard anymore. I baby it as much as I can. I just feel that the only way for me to fix this problem is either by a new daily driver and let the evo chill in the garage until I can afford to fix it or straight up get a brand spanking new TC that will last me. Like I said it's my daily driver and I can't afford not to have a car.
Ok, I see. Just be careful bro!!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Very interested however would just want the diff, pm me if you have any pictures of the unit after removing it. If we could work some sort of deal where you send it to TRE for him to check it out before purchasing if I covered shipping I would be willing to go ahead with this soon...

Scorke
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I have to disagree as well John at TRE is one of the most helpful guys in our community. Talked to him on a few occasions about different things/recomendations. I buy my Diaqueen from TRE. Just waiting for my TC or Tranny to go so I can get it rebuilt.

TRE and Shep know their stuff both are good guys in my book.
Ask John about warrantieng TC and how he would blame it back to you, for not using

recommended diaqueen fluid...
Old Dec 25, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Yep that's correct, use BG#2 or something that is not the recommended oil in your transfer case and you will burn up the gears. I will not warranty this and neither will Mitsbishi unless they are idiots.

There are over 300 transfer cases that I've done for EVOLUTIONs and only a few have ever came back. The ones that have came back have either cracked the gear teeth from dumping the clutch too hard or from using the wrong oil in the transfer case. And don't try to tell me you had the correct oil in the transfer case either, I can tell.

Jon@TRE
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Jon would you be willing to take this TC and check it out for some sort of fee? I am interested but only really want the diff but for the price it seems worth it.

Scorke
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Yep that's correct, use BG#2 or something that is not the recommended oil in your transfer case and you will burn up the gears. I will not warranty this and neither will Mitsbishi unless they are idiots.

There are over 300 transfer cases that I've done for EVOLUTIONs and only a few have ever came back. The ones that have came back have either cracked the gear teeth from dumping the clutch too hard or from using the wrong oil in the transfer case. And don't try to tell me you had the correct oil in the transfer case either, I can tell.

Jon@TRE

You got mine back from a DUMP of the clutch with 20psi in the tires, and stuck in 2" of VHT glue at the drag-strip. Using LAUNCH CONTROL! That spells disaster. My Nephew was driving, NOT ME! (Just to explain the photo)

On a lighter note, I HAD the correct fluid in there.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Jon would you be willing to take this TC and check it out for some sort of fee? I am interested but only really want the diff but for the price it seems worth it.

Scorke

Yes, send it on over and I'll give you the whole status on this unit.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

For free? Seriously, all I want is the diff from it. What are the chances the diff is damaged and at the absolute worst what would it cost to repair? I know its hard to diagnose without it apart on your bench, but just give me an idea, PM is fine as this is a bit off topic now.

Thanks in advance

Scorke
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I can send it to TRE or wherever c/o whomever, but I would need to be paid in full before I send it wherever it is going. I can part out the Diff, but I don't want the TC sitting in my garage. PM me any questions

Thanks

Last edited by evoracerx; Dec 25, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

PMed. I want the transfer case complete.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Paypaled! I am torn between having the TC sent to TRE or Shep. Can someone tell me what type of service will be done from on the stage 1 rebuild on Sheptrans.com. It only cost $350 which sounds like a steal. Or in this case of a howling TC does it require a more detailed rebuild which runs more than $1000?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Once the t-case howls that means the gears are worn down. The cost of rebuilding a t-case with bad gears is going to be very close to that of a new t-case. thats why most bite the bullet and buy a new one. If a bearing is bad then the gears will be toast as well.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Once the t-case howls that means the gears are worn down. The cost of rebuilding a t-case with bad gears is going to be very close to that of a new t-case. thats why most bite the bullet and buy a new one. If a bearing is bad then the gears will be toast as well.
Agreed! Check with Jon at TRE, I have done lots of research on the issue.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Did you paypal? as in buy it already?