Notices
For Sale/WTB - Engine / Drivetrain / Power Includes exhausts, cams, clutches, flywheels and all other power related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Fs: Ets 3" Fmic (new)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Well it will cool better, but if you have a smaller turbo it can affect spool, even on a bigger turbo it can affect spool cause this is more space to fill w/ air as it is moving through the intercooler.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I still think you made the right choice with the 3" IC Jeff. Although my opinion is a bit biased, it's an honest one. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results at the track and would hope that you'd report back once you've attended a track day!

Tom
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
^Well it will cool better, but if you have a smaller turbo it can affect spool, even on a bigger turbo it can affect spool cause this is more space to fill w/ air as it is moving through the intercooler.
Maybe this is not the thread to discuss this in and for that I apologize. But I'm a bit taken back by this statement. I don't know about any of the techical aspects of an intercooler other than it cools or drops air temperatures hence allowing for the possibility of making more power due to the chemical make-up of colder air, more fuel, and more spark. Equals = MORE POWER. Maybe I'm looking more into this than need be but the way you spoke of the intercooler was as if it needed to be "full" to some degree by you stating that it would "affect spool"..."space to fill with air" comment. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cooling efficiency of an intercooler is just that...cooling efficiency and is not dependant upon the size of the turbo. Granted, if someone is running a ton of boost, heatsoak will happen quicker but that doesn't have an effect on a turbo's spool up. Right?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know the science behind it but many bigger FMICs do add lag. It has very little to do with the temp especially during the first WOT session.

That RnR FMIC was improperly sized for the stock turbo and was very laggy.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Maybe this is not the thread to discuss this in and for that I apologize. But I'm a bit taken back by this statement. I don't know about any of the techical aspects of an intercooler other than it cools or drops air temperatures hence allowing for the possibility of making more power due to the chemical make-up of colder air, more fuel, and more spark. Equals = MORE POWER. Maybe I'm looking more into this than need be but the way you spoke of the intercooler was as if it needed to be "full" to some degree by you stating that it would "affect spool"..."space to fill with air" comment. Correct me if I'm wrong but the cooling efficiency of an intercooler is just that...cooling efficiency and is not dependant upon the size of the turbo. Granted, if someone is running a ton of boost, heatsoak will happen quicker but that doesn't have an effect on a turbo's spool up. Right?

no offense, but I thought it was more common knowledge especially on a small or stock turbo car. Yes, theoretically it will bigger will cool better but will have some lag to it especially on a smaller turbo car. I see your point too though.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I don't know the science behind it but many bigger FMICs do add lag. It has very little to do with the temp especially during the first WOT session.

That RnR FMIC was improperly sized for the stock turbo and was very laggy.

So Jeff you keeping the 3" on for awhile then...? Once my ETS 3" goes on it prob wont come off.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yes. I like it but I may still add a chemical intercooling system simply for adding octane. I have no intentions of removing it.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Apr 6, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

meth+pump=ftw glad you put it on and didnt sell it to me... jk