Notices
For Sale/WTB - Engine / Drivetrain / Power Includes exhausts, cams, clutches, flywheels and all other power related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: TX - The BAFMIC

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FS: TX - The BAFMIC - 4.5x14x24

I am going to be driving the GVR4 from now on so the wife is getting the Evo. This means a small parting with things she will find useless given her penchant for easy driving. The first thing to go is the BAFMIC.

The BAFMIC is an API custom intercooler specifically for the Evo VIII/IX. It measures 4.5x14x24 and fits behind the factory front bumper with a small cut made at the end. The IC was made by BIC in Spring Branch Texas using 1/8 aluminum, TIG welded. The API core has internal turbulators and the inlet endtank has a divertor to spread flow to the top of the core. It has been tested at 40 PSI. The endtanks are welded inner and outer. Bracket mounts are specific for the VIII/IX and is a bolt on affair. It may require an aftermarket lower IC pipe as my car has one but it can most likely be made to work without.

The core is rated at 800+ HP and is overkill on my wife's daily driver. The front AC fan will interfere with the core so a slim fan must be used or it needs to be removed.

I am looking for 800.00 + shipping which is a drop from my original price and is the lowest I can reasonably go with the price. Cost to reproduce would be in excess of 2K.

Onto the pictures.

Rear tab mounts.

Top mount

Opposite side mount.

Send a PM for any further questions you may have. I was originally looking to swap for a Stock+ cash but I have since got a stock IC. I do not have anything I am looking for in trade.

/brox

Last edited by Broxma; May 9, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 03:52 PM

hey
im in san antonio, looks like a great piece but out of my range.
however send me a pm with what ever else you might be selling, and maybe we can make a deal localy
Old May 7, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Up. Will trade for airfare to Chicago for 2 + cash.

/brox
Old May 9, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Increasing visibility is the key to any sale. While location is said to be of vital importance in real estate transactions, the same could also be said apples or prunes or intercoolers. With the philosophy in mind it is a requirement to keep visibility at an acceptable level, of which, this particular sale is clearly not, yet will be not shortly after I press the submit button this gray Sunday morning.

/brox
Old May 9, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

interested, you said the size was overkill, would you be interested in a trade for an ETS 3 1/2 core plus cash on my end?
Old May 9, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

I am not looking for any trades mainly because the wife doesn't need or want anything out of the car beyond stock performance. I am leaving the cams in, probably the exhaust but this FM is just obscenely unnecessary. I put the stock FMIC back on already and am happy with that for now. If I get an urge to put something else on I'll just make another one but smaller.

The mention of two tickets to Chicago, that oddly enough, not BS. It is about the only thing I need. Someone probably works for the airlines I figure.

/brox
Old May 10, 2010, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Monday is by far the largest internet usage day in America. People return back to work and find they have no motivation to actually do their job. Instead, they search the internet wasting half the day trying to find new golf clubs or a surfboard. Maybe one of them is looking for a giant front mount intercooler for an Evo and stumbles upon this?

The above data is made up. I am actually not aware of the highest internet usage day during the week. Monday sounds good though.

/brox
Old May 11, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

It has occurred to me that prices and value are often strange by comparison. Logically the cost associated with items is not indicative of their actual value. Take for example the notion of paying hundreds of dollars for something which has no testable value other than looking pretty. We gladly pay for objects which are rare but of no objective value other than an arbitrary value placed on it by man. Diamonds are a good example of such a resource, with no objective value and the majority of diamonds being used in the industrial sector, it is a wonder why people are so willing to pay for something that functionally has no purpose.

/brox
Old May 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Another late night bump here has made me wonder. What is the certainty of anything? Logic tells us that the claim "The Sun will rise tomorrow." is supported by many true premises. Over time, these premise combine to equal a very strong argument but do not categorically represent the 100% certainty. This is where the idea of that which cannot reliably be measured can be ignored comes into play. If we are going to allow for the insignificant fluctuations to be ignored, we must also allow for the same understanding when long term reliability is factored in. The certainty that the Sun will rise is without doubters, based on a long string of valid premises. So many in fact, that no human has measured a day where the Sun was not present unless due to natural disaster/obscuration. Given that there has never been a day without a Sun, I find the argument "The Sun will rise tomorrow." to still be false. Because the real argument is "The Earth will rotate bringing the Sun within view tomorrow." Does this argument work in the North Pole on December 21st? Not to the observer. So even given the rotation of the Earth and an observed static position of the Sun, perception still wins out as the logical equalizer. From Saturn, the Earth is a just a blue dot and the Sun is beginning to look like just another star, which it is.

/brox
Old May 17, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

I see that the view count is high. This tells me visibility or interest is at least on par with my expectations. I am also keenly aware that a custom number like this is relatively uncommon and therefore not exactly the easiest product to sell. It is the rarity of one off custom components that makes them difficult to sell. I tend to lean towards a performance mindset when it comes to spending money as opposed to an appearance direction. This FMIC oddly achieved both without really asking for it. When I did attend meets and shows, the front end of my car was often surrounded by the chatter of, "that is the biggest GD front mount I ever seen." This unrequested attention was interesting as it is not normal for a performance part to garner such attention nor am I used to answering questions about my relatively stock looking car. One could spend several hundred dollars on an ARC Ti pipe and probably not realize the volume of attention this item could draw. Thankfully, I have a garage and don't do much long term parking.

/brox
Old May 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have a hammer. It only has just a few functions but it becomes indispensable at times. Building a deck would be a good example, where having an object similar but not really like a hammer just won't do. There are times we can substitute items for others. Duct tape comes to mind, silly putty, rocks become hammers, torque modification device. But in essence, every situation has it's perfect tool. Sometimes we force ourselves to use other tools which work, but not perfectly. You can never have too many tools, or hammers I suppose.

/brox
Old May 18, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you should lower the price. I can get Buschurs BFMIC for 50 bucks more brand new.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

I very well may have to due to that very fact although the comparison is not equal.

I compared the Buschur core to the one I have and even though mine is only an inch taller, it has 6 more internal channels. We conservatively rated it at 875 though. I can't tell by any picture if the BR core has an inlet divertor or not. The rated airflow of the core I have is 1841+, (24x4.5x12 is 1841, mine is taller), although I am not able to directly translate that into an accurate HP number.

It's a niche market unfortunately. Very few people have use for an intercooler of this size.

/brox