Notices
For Sale/WTB - Engine / Drivetrain / Power Includes exhausts, cams, clutches, flywheels and all other power related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

F/S: ACT Prolite ultra lightweight billet flywheel for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
F/S: ACT Prolite ultra lightweight billet flywheel for Evo 8/9

ACT lightweight billet flywheel

This chromoly steel flywheel weighs only 10.4 lb. (actual weight confirmed with my digital scale). The OEM Evo 8/9 flywheel weighs between 13.9 and 14.2 lb, depending on how worn it is.

3 1/2 pounds may not sound like much, but the reduced weight of a lightweight flywheel is rotational mass, which will make a noticeable improvement in acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, and improve shifting quality, esp. when shifting quickly. It feels as if the turbo is spooling faster and hitting harder.

The ACT Prolite flywheel costs $400 new:

http://www.maperformance.com/act-xac...9-600210..html

Selling this for $200 + FedEx ground shipping. Just professionally resurfaced by a local machine shop, so it's 100% good to go and ready to install.

*** EDIT: FLYWHEEL SOLD!!! ***

I used this flywheel for one season with a ACT Heavy Duty pressure plate with a full-face organic disc, and it was very easy to drive, in terms of street driving as well as launching. Just rev up about 250 rpm higher than with the OEM flywheel, and getting going in first gear around town is exactly the same.

BTW, regarding a lightweight billet chromoly flywheel vs. an aluminum flywheel:

IMO (and from my direct experience), a lightweight steel flywheel is a better choice for a modified Evo than an aluminum one, because aluminum is not as stiff as billet steel, especially once it heats up.

This means the bolted-on steel friction surface on an aluminum flywheel will flex slightly under the load of the pressure plate, and the clutch disc won't make even contact. Uneven contact between the clutch disc and the flywheel will cause your clutch to slip easier, which leads to more heat, which means more flexing of the aluminum flywheel, and exacerbates the whole problem and makes your clutch wear out prematurely.

ACT 3000305 clutch disc

I also have a ACT full-face organic disc, part #3000305, lightly used, maybe 3k miles? No issues with it, worked great with 400+ whp/400+ wtq, and was great for street driving, but am electing to go with something more aggressive now.

Measured thickness with an accurate caliper is .302"... new is right at 8mm, or .314", so you can see it's got tons of friction material left—nearly all of it!

Sells for $185 new:

http://www.amazon.com/ACT-3000305-Pe.../dp/B000CIM70Q

Looking for $100, or $80 if you buy it with the lightweight flywheel.

*** EDIT: CLUTCH DISC SOLD!!! ***

Last edited by EGbeater; Apr 3, 2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clutch disc sold
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Freshly machined and ready to install!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh no ****! Thats your black evo on the cover of nov sports car! I looked at the cover of that mag for a minute thinking about buying the AIT front end but went with version select lip instead. Anyways I'm working on getting my SMS evo ready for this season and need to put in a new clutch and was gonna go with the ACT HDSS with a resurfaced and cryo treated stock fly. But your right up has me thinking now(specially what you said about 1st and 2nd gear!)? I thought the stock fly was 17#'s? Curious as what set up are you running this year and why you changed flywheels? Shoot me a pm intrested in the fly
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Discospeed
Ahh no ****! Thats your black evo on the cover of nov sports car! I looked at the cover of that mag for a minute thinking about buying the AIT front end but went with version select lip instead.
Just to clarify, my Evo's graphite gray... with a matte-black gutted OEM hood and C-West replica fiberglas front bumper cover.

Anyways I'm working on getting my SMS evo ready for this season and need to put in a new clutch and was gonna go with the ACT HDSS with a resurfaced and cryo treated stock fly.
I definitely wouldn't waste time/money on reusing the stock fly if you're looking for improved performance/acceleration from your Evo. But that's my opinion.

I thought the stock fly was 17#'s?
I can only tell you what the two used stock Evo flywheels I've personally weighed on my accurate digital scale weighed. I can't vouch for what other people have reported, but I highly doubt Mitsubishi is shipping out cars with flywheels that vary by over 3 lbs.

Curious as what set up are you running this year and why you changed flywheels?
Haven't actually decided yet; might get another Prolite flywheel, go to the slightly heavier ACT Streetlite (not because I really want a heavier flywheel, but more mass = more heat capability), or try the Comp Clutch lightweight flywheel (which might be made by ACT, for all I know). My engine/tranny are out right now, so I thought I'd freshen up the clutch/flywheel while I was at it, even though there's not much mileage on this flywheel. More money/effort now can equal less money/effort later.

Shoot me a pm intrested in the fly
Please PM me your zip code in order to get a shipping quote from FedEx.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Wknd bump
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Monday bump. This flywheel and clutch disc are going on eBay later today if no one wants it here.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the flywheel is still available on friday i might take it.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grim~
If the flywheel is still available on friday i might take it.
It is. I'll hold it for you through this Friday with a Paypal deposit of at least $30, and I'll post here publicly that it's spoken for, so you know I'm accountable for selling it to you and applying that amount towards the total price including shipping.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Clutch disc sold to djikonatx. Flywheel also sold.

Last edited by EGbeater; Apr 3, 2011 at 02:12 PM.