Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD BBK Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRD BBK Review

Mod List:

CBRD BBK Full; BR ported manifold; BR ported/coated hotside; 680cc injectors; GSC S1 cams; ARP headstuds; TBE; O2 housing; Walbro; ETS 3.5" IC; ETS UICP pipe; ETS intake; Nisei LICP

Dyno Chart:

By JasonMHunt

Dyno Chart Review:

+76hp/+38tq @ the same exact boost. You can see my previous BEST on the dynosheet (dotted chart). When I say previous best, it's the best #'s I could ever get on CBRD dyno. Most of my #'s were 270s/270's.

I previously made 325/320 @ AMS in Gaithersbury BEFORE I added an intake, UICP and IC. I say this because CBRDs dyno is one of the lowest reading Mustang dyno's. 325/320 (dynojet) and then added UICP/intake/IC and a tune and only received a best of 285/279 @ CBRD.

My car is just one of those Evo's that can't make power compared to others with the same mods. I call it a Turd on the regular

My car also has knocking issues. It's part of my turdness. I have an evo thats a turd and PRONE to knocking. Chad tuned my car to 23psi with no knock. I would love to increase the boost on my car. But Chad was happy with 23psi/no knock.

I'm going to add a few new goodies this spring and make Chad up the boost

I'm pretty confident that I could make 400hp on a dynojet or come pretty close

Driving Opinion:

I couldn't be happier with this setup. As you can see with the dynosheet, the hp keeps climbing almost til redline. I personally feel I have a lot of room to improve with this turbo. The lag is identical to my evo 8 turbo with my setup. Transient boost is amazing with the BBK. I do mostly highway driving with my evo, so 3rd and 4th gear pulls coming off ramps are just amazing. You can absolutly feel 76hp/38tq to the wheels.

I have never tracked my car. So I don't have any E.T. times. Sorry guys. My next mods are an Exedy twin disk setup by this spring so I can actually start going to the track.

THe BBK is amazing. It puts a smile on my face everyday. CBRDs shop is awesome. Great setup. Great tune. CBRD is the full package. They specialize in everything. I've been going there since they opened. I've gotten oil changes/ fender trimming, alignments, tuning, etc. Anyone who is looking for a shop to go to, I always recommend CBRD. Someone drove from N.J. to my house in P.A. to pick up parts and was asking about the BBK. I told him as much as I could and recommended him stopping by CBRD on the way back up. Chad stopped what he was doing to talk to the guy for an hour. Most shops won't do this. Great customer service!!!. Thanks Chad, Mark and Caleb.

Jason

I have been extremely busy of late. I have been attempting to get this review in for a week. If I forgot something, I will add it later. Thanks guys. Cheers
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Out of curiosity, has CBRD tuned your car 100% of the time, or did you have a different tuner and switch to CBRD....maybe he worked around some of the knock issues a little better than someone else, somewhat inflating your gains? Then again, with a 9.8 hotside, no SS o2 housing, etc I really wouldn't expect much more than about 280whp on that dyno on pump gas, so really your numbers aren't too far out of line!

So, before/after you added ported EM, SS o2, BBK, and tuning? Can you please clarify what all changed before/after these two dyno charts?

Don't misunderstand me, more power is always better Just curious! BBK looks promising!

**edit, I see you had a 10.5 hotside before...***
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we did the tuning before, the car was originally tuned at AMS in maryland.... and we cleaned it up...

the car had a 10.5 hotside and the o2 housing wasnt changed.. the additions were BBK, Manifold, and injectors... same peak boost tune.

cb
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Car sounds like it should run great. Can't wait to see what it will do with some boost.

CBRD-your inbox is full
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the results! What boost do you typically tune these turbo's for on pump?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Car has to feel totally different now. The area under the curve shows it all. I can't wait to get mine!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by scheides
Out of curiosity, has CBRD tuned your car 100% of the time, or did you have a different tuner and switch to CBRD....maybe he worked around some of the knock issues a little better than someone else, somewhat inflating your gains? Then again, with a 9.8 hotside, no SS o2 housing, etc I really wouldn't expect much more than about 280whp on that dyno on pump gas, so really your numbers aren't too far out of line!

So, before/after you added ported EM, SS o2, BBK, and tuning? Can you please clarify what all changed before/after these two dyno charts?

Don't misunderstand me, more power is always better Just curious! BBK looks promising!

**edit, I see you had a 10.5 hotside before...***
lol. Actually Chri@AMS from Illinois came down to AMS in gaithersburg to tune my car first. Confusing isn't it This was back in April 2007. CBRD has done all the tuning since that one time.

Anyway, like Chad said, the only difference is the BBK, ported exhaust manifold and the injectors.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice pick-up brother

I would really like to go to a BBK in the spring, but I have lot's of other things in my life that seem to be taking precedent over the car. Really impressed with all the #'s I've seen. I would expect those gains, they seem to fall right in line with what others have made. Congrats...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sold!! Can't wait for spring time.

-E
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the compliments guys, ill clear the inbox...

cb
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:03 AM

This is an absolute GREAT turbo upgrade for anyone running pump gas!!

I'm still eager to see the BBK with meth and E85.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

So Chris from Automotorsports tuned your car at Atlantic Motorsports and Chad said up there he had to "clean it up". I am surprised a bit as Chris is said to be a great tuner.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
So Chris from Automotorsports tuned your car at Atlantic Motorsports and Chad said up there he had to "clean it up". I am surprised a bit as Chris is said to be a great tuner.

It was knocking hard when I got tuned by Chad. It was months later. It could have been a number of things.

Don't go starting trouble buddy
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
It was knocking hard when I got tuned by Chad. It was months later. It could have been a number of things.

Don't go starting trouble buddy
Me?!? Never.

I was just curious what the deal was since I got tuned the same day by the same tuner as you.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

I don't mean to threadjack, but I made 301whp on CBRD's dyno with the stock 9.8 housing and stock o2 housing. Chad was very impressed. I only looked to make 275 - 280whp, so I think your previous results are pretty close. My Evo must just be stronger than average.

I'm looking to do the BBK this spring. I'd love to go Full, but I'm not sure if my wallet will allow it, so I may go LITE. Either way, I'm shooting for anywhere between 350 - 370whp. That's with an o2 dump, JMF or EPM, don't know yet and the JMF manifold.

Congrats on the numbers. I bet it feels great. If you were closer, I'd ask for a ride. I want to preview what the BBK can do!

Quick Reply: CBRD BBK Review