Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

RACE TESTED oil pump coating & PRV

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RACE TESTED oil pump coating & PRV

Hey guys, just searched around and not much came up, but thought it was worth mentioning here. There is a Mazda race car driver that helps out the M247.com forum members with a service he found VERY useful on the FS2.0L oil pumps. The oil pumps are not manufactured to very strict tolerances (maybe because their intended design is for 90hp cars lol), and cause major cavitation and pressure issues. The meshing of the gears with space between them and the pump housing is causing air to be introduced into the system. The internal pressure relief valve is also crap and does not hold very much pressure before bypassing the oil back into the pan.

What he does is takes your pump (or a new one) and sends it to swain tech to get measured and then coated. All internal parts are brought into a very tight spec (as it should have been to begin with) to eliminate the cavitation. When he gets the pump back, he bypasses the internal pressure relief valve completely (just keep reading). Then he sends it back to you with an EXTERNAL Pressure Relief Valve.

What you do next is kind of your choice, but basically you need some things to hook it all up. A block off adapter/ filter relocation kit is needed to run oil lines to the new PRV. You can then run to an oil cooler, t-stat, a filter then back to the block off adapter again completing the circle. The PRV also has a line that dumps excess oil pressure back into the pan so an entry point will be needed for that.

Its function is to allow cavitation free oil to flow thru the motor at the USERS DESIRED PRESSURE AMOUNT. Read that again, then move on. The thing that is so beast about this is being able to set your own oil pressure for what you are using the car for. If you have a 600hp capable car and are daily driving, just easily set the screw to boost oil pressure about 12psi per 1000 rpm if that floats your boat. Feel like tearing up the track in the next five minutes? Crank up the pressure to run 60psi at 4000 rpm (or what ever). Its all done with an allen wrench and a lock nut. It literally takes seconds to make an adjustment to YOUR liking.

The important thing is knowing what pressure is best for how it was built, but thats a whole 'nother thread I wont be an officianado on. I run the system myself being that its just an intrigul part of the motors longevity. More importantly the guy that does the pump treatmnt has seen the best results of us all. With the stock OE oil pump, they were only able to get a marginal amount of inconsistent pressure and the pump only lasted for a couple races at best. After the above system was implemented, they (DocB racing) have only removed the pump to see why its working so good. Its now a COUPLE SEASONS later and still going strong.

Pricing info directly from the thread:

"$100 for blueprint service on the oil pump
$130 for external bypass valves

The $100 covers:
1.receiving your pump

2.disassembling your pump
3.recording pre-coating specs
4.sending to Swain Tech
5.coating of parts at Swain Tech
6.receiving back from Swain Tech
7.recording post-coating specs
8.reassembly of your pump

Shipping cost back to you is determined by where you are located. You will receive with your pump a copy of the specs.
The current turn-around time is 3 weeks including the time at Swain Tech.
Do not send dirty, greasy oil pumps for coating!!!

From this time on if a pump is received that requires cleaning prior to disassembly there will be an additional $50 charge!" End Quotations from the forums of its origination.

So like I said, I run this system so here is a picture. On the left side you will see the Peterson PRV with some SS braided lines going to and from it. Everything else is hidden, so send me a PM if you read this novel so far. That just tells me how interested you really are. I will send you part numbers, places to get everything needed and show you pictures of how I have mine set up.

Last edited by signature sound; Oct 8, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean engine bay
Old Oct 8, 2010, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, still lots of stuff to do yet.

so is there no need for something like this with the Evo's or what. When the guy first offered to the Mazdas, it was heaven sent. I dont think our motors would hold up without being able to raise the pressure.

if nothing else, the coating makes the pump last way longer...
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
ok.
so you think that you have oil flow out of your PRV at idle?
Do you know what a PRV does?