Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHalfSack
Good lookin car!

And that little bump on the guy's head just needs a little water and Motrin.
Would be a veteran that says some **** like this
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Would be a veteran that says some **** like this
Haha. You know it!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Well the car is a bit torn apart right now. Pulled the engine, trans and tcase out the bottom of the car last saturday to fix/upgrade stuff. Got the engine torn down earlier this week and found the fire ring on the head gasket was fried on cyl 1. Originally the plan was swap out the head gasket and do a clutch but I ended up buying a bit more. So all the parts I've got going in now:
- Comp Clutch stage 4 sprung clutch
- Comp Clutch lightweight flywheel
- Stock head gasket
- ARP headstuds
- AEM 320 lph fuel pump
- STM EGR delete
- Thermostat
- Radium clutch fork stop
- ACT monoloc
- ARP flywheel bolts
- Spoolinup SD harness and IAT
- Tial BOV
- MAP divided O2 housing gasket
- GSC valve seals
- Upper rad hose
- Other misc gaskets

Yesterday I looked at my bores and checked them out with a bore gauge. I was honestly quite surprised, original engine with 100k on it and plenty of track days and not only did most of the cylinder walls still have their cross hatching but out of round and taper were both under .001" almost everywhere.

So after seeing that I decided to order up some Manley pistons (9:1 CR std bore) and H beam rods as well as ACL tri metal bearings to drop in. My power goal isn't crazy high so I don't need the best of the best pistons and rods, they're more for piece of mind than going crazy with power. I'm thinking I should be able to get around 500whp without issue (and that would be plenty for me) but we'll see after I get it on the dyno at work

Lastly, I'm going to have the head decked a thou or two in case there was any small warpage and to ensure the new head gasket seals nicely. Also I'm pricing out materials currently to have one of the fabricators at work make me a titanium exhaust for the track, it's just going to be a short downpipe that comes straight down from the o2 housing and stops at the front axles or so, nothing fancy but should help remove considerable weight over a full exhaust.

I'll try to update with photos soon if I can get them over to my computer without too much fuss.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 3, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Pictures of teardown stuff. Still busy cleaning up the deck on the block and washing parts but things are moving along. Should have pistons, rods, and bearings tomorrow and get the ring end gaps set as well as get the rods and pistons balanced. Shooting to have the bottom end reassembled tuesday and the longblock back together either wednesday or thursday.

Old Aug 6, 2017, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Do you work at P&L? I know Pauly really well. Went to HS with him.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 02:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Do you work at P&L? I know Pauly really well. Went to HS with him.
Yup! Been working there for a few months now. It's funny owning an evo and working for a shop that mostly builds wrxs and stis, and yes I get plenty of **** from Paul and my coworkers for it haha. Mind me asking your name?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Yeah, my name is Marc. I have a AS Evo8 as well. They did a bunch of work around 05 for me when I bought my car. I even had a sponsorship on my STI back in the day when they were still at their old Franklin Park location.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, you weren't kidding about the cross hatching.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by itsmyturn
Wow, you weren't kidding about the cross hatching.
Yea I'm super pleased to see it. I'd be leaving the bottom end stock if it didn't look this good.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Yeah, my name is Marc. I have a AS Evo8 as well. They did a bunch of work around 05 for me when I bought my car. I even had a sponsorship on my STI back in the day when they were still at their old Franklin Park location.
It's a small world haha. I just read your entire build thread, I'll be following in your footsteps stripping out unused wires and relooming the harnesses as well as other weight reduction while the car is stored for the winter. I wonder how much weight the entire ACD system comes out to.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 6, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Pistons, rods, and bearings came in today. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get much done, got almost half the deck cleaned up but that's it.

Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I would still send the block to the machine shop for a hone to make sure the rings seat nicely. With STD size pistons and a good virgin bore like you have, a hone should still net ptw of 4 to 4.5 thou.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

A bit behind schedule but I'd rather take my time than rush it. Pistons and rods are assembled, rings are filed (set top to .020" and second to .024"), deck is cleaned off, bores are honed, valves are cleaned, oil pan and pan rails are cleaned.

I would have the bottom end assembled if my dumbass didn't forget a ring compressor. Once I get the head decked I'll reassemble the valvetrain and get the head ready to drop on.

Need to pick up some other miscellaneous gaskets and new spark plugs. Hoping to get the car fired on sunday but that all depends on me being able to work on it. Assuming that gets done I'll get the engine and clutch broken in and hop on the dyno by the end of the week for a retune.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I would still send the block to the machine shop for a hone to make sure the rings seat nicely. With STD size pistons and a good virgin bore like you have, a hone should still net ptw of 4 to 4.5 thou.
Ran a ball hone through the bores and it cleaned up very nicely (see pics above). The amount of downtime and cost it would add to send it to a machine shop isn't worth it to me. After talking with Manley, they said they size their pistons .003-.0035" under the bore size they're made for so my ptw should be right about .005-.0055" which is right where I want to be.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
They def cleaned up nicely.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Not much progress today, had to leave early. Head is milled, it was warped in the same area the gasket blew out. Ended up taking off ~.003" total. I wasn't terribly fond of all the casting flash in the oil drainbacks on the head so I filed those smooth. Going to run the head through the wash tank one more time and possibly the sonic cleaner as well and then get it reassembled and ready to drop on the shortblock.

And more fail, I should have checked the box when I got it earlier this week but I was sent the wrong bearings. Got .025" unders instead of standards so once again the bottom end isn't assembled yet. Going to give a ring to a couple of evo shops in the area in the morn and cross my fingers that one of them has a set in stock...

First picture is the initial pass, ~.001 off. Second picture is final pass after another .002" taken off.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 10, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, Just picked my EVO last October and am in Chicago. Been trying to get out to events, but so far just car shows in the western burbs.

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???