Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Leftover fiberglass = more air flow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Leftover fiberglass = more air flow

I had some left over materials and space in the engine bay since I removed the IC sprayer and the Battery is relocated to the trunk. I figured running a tube down to the bumper near the SRI would be a good idea. Since it was a rectangular shape I figured I may as well build a fiberglass box instead of a flex tube to bring more air volume. The dimensions are 6" x 3.5".
I glassed that to an air box that catches air from the bumper opening. The airbox is around 3L of airspace with a screen and area on the bottom for about 2" of water (not that the car goes out in the rain).
This whole assembly installs from the bottom and bolts to the frame rail with 2 stock bolts. The horn was also relocated to add a little extra clearance. A removable top panel directs the air towards the filter
I also made a shaped tube from the vent in front of the hood (Kaminari CF) to direct air to the top of the filter. The glass shouldn't heat up as drastically but the parts in the engine bay have heat reflective material applied

It was a fun project but took a while so hopefully there is some benefit...
Attached Thumbnails Leftover fiberglass = more air flow-bumper-inlet.jpg   Leftover fiberglass = more air flow-filter-inlet.jpg   Leftover fiberglass = more air flow-hood-inlet.jpg  
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
very cool
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure the one on the hood is going to be doing much. The vent in the hood is to create a low pressure system to suck hot air out of the engine bay. Not push air in.

I like pulling it from the front bumper, I think you just need to box in the whole filter to "capture the air" just for the intake.

I wanted to get air from the front bumper as well, so I moved the whole intake there.

Old Oct 19, 2017, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by stimsoni
Not sure the one on the hood is going to be doing much. The vent in the hood is to create a low pressure system to suck hot air out of the engine bay. Not push air in.
Originally Posted by BillAce
I also made a shaped tube from the vent in front of the hood (Kaminari CF) to direct air to the top of the filter.

It's an aftermarket hood, it has the little vent to pull air in the front. He's not using the stock heat extractor location.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, there is a separate vent from the hood similar to the stock inlet only a little smaller. Trying to bring as much outside air without putting the air filter in an area that could see water or is harder to service. If I measure enough volume and airflow from these parts I'll work on a sealed airbox setup next,

Separate hood vent
Old Oct 19, 2017, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty cool (pun intended). What hood is that?
I thought your first photo was half of the bonnet vent. Now that I look at it again I can see that's the front of the bumper.

I've noticed a few people concerned about water with a low intake, but there's no problems with it. The stock snorkel directs water straight on top of a panel filter that has no chose but to go in the intake. I only get water that is sucked in as the water can fall away instead of sitting on top (like all pods in a stock location and snorkel)
The only thing I can't do now is deep river crossings, but that's ok as I don't drive a land cruiser.

Whether there is an actual benefit I don't know, but my intake acts as a ram air intake which should increase air flow the faster you go.

Servicing has become easier as a whole as well as things like the turbo are easy to access. Upper intercooler pipe goes over the intake which makes that accessible and the radiator having a high swirl pot makes that stupid easy to bleed air from the system as well.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Its a Kaminari hood. I have a second one so I usedthat to make the form. I used one bolt from the stock hood vent and added one near the latch to mount it.