Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Evo X Apple Radio

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X Apple Radio

What's up all, I see plenty of Android based head units on here and curious if there is an Apple OS friendly head unit that allows you to keep all the factory stuff at a touch of a finger? I am sure there are but I wonder which one is actually worth getting and changing out the good ol factory head unit.

Let me know!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:30 PM

Most any Kenwood or Pioneer unit can do this for you. As for factory stuff, such as buttons steering wheel buttons, yes. You would need an iDatalink Maestro or Metra SW unit. I had a base model head unit, so anything was an improvement.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYGAV Android Head Unit with Addon CarPlay

Yeah, I've been researching these past few days for an upgraded head unit as well. Kenwood or Pioneer units will not allow steering wheel controls as mentioned. However, the multiple SYGAV units using the Android Platform have an amazing amount of functionality and personalization and are plug and play. There is also a CarPlay adapter to these units so you can link your iPhone and use CarPlay, run Waze, Google Maps, etc. for NAVI and all Apple apps. I like this unit the best as it is plug and play and integrates seamlessly with the existing EVO steering controls and reverse camera. Perhaps a drawback but It looks as if the unit does not integrate with the existing EVO interior microphone, you have to wire and mount a separate mic included with the unit. Search YouTube for some personal reviews and install vids. The consensus is that these units are the best replacement for the stock EVO X head unit with or without Rockford. I am about to pull the trigger on the Android 9.0 unit, a little pricey but the huge screen augments the dash. Also, I haven't evaluated the sound quality but even if it is not equivalent to a high-end unit with high-end speakers and subs... doesn't matter...remember we EVO X fanatics are driving an EVO X so you are not going to appreciate high fidelity car audio. There is no sound deadening in the X's interior and I doubt most EVO X owners have a cush suspension, quiet exhaust, quiet intake or BOV. See the links below. I'm currently in the process of reviving my 2011 Wicked White EVO X and this will be one of my interior mods. They sell these units on Amazon or the vendor site. See the following links:

https://www.sygav.com/collections/mi...21668651958385

https://www.sygav.com/collections/pe...ts-ios-iphones
Old Oct 10, 2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJ EVOX
Yeah, I've been researching these past few days for an upgraded head unit as well. Kenwood or Pioneer units will not allow steering wheel controls as mentioned. However, the multiple SYGAV units using the Android Platform have an amazing amount of functionality and personalization and are plug and play. There is also a CarPlay adapter to these units so you can link your iPhone and use CarPlay, run Waze, Google Maps, etc. for NAVI and all Apple apps. I like this unit the best as it is plug and play and integrates seamlessly with the existing EVO steering controls and reverse camera. Perhaps a drawback but It looks as if the unit does not integrate with the existing EVO interior microphone, you have to wire and mount a separate mic included with the unit. Search YouTube for some personal reviews and install vids. The consensus is that these units are the best replacement for the stock EVO X head unit with or without Rockford. I am about to pull the trigger on the Android 9.0 unit, a little pricey but the huge screen augments the dash. Also, I haven't evaluated the sound quality but even if it is not equivalent to a high-end unit with high-end speakers and subs... doesn't matter...remember we EVO X fanatics are driving an EVO X so you are not going to appreciate high fidelity car audio. There is no sound deadening in the X's interior and I doubt most EVO X owners have a cush suspension, quiet exhaust, quiet intake or BOV. See the links below. I'm currently in the process of reviving my 2011 Wicked White EVO X and this will be one of my interior mods. They sell these units on Amazon or the vendor site. See the following links:

I have a kenwood unit and I all my steering wheel buttons work.The SygAV is just fine, but devices like the iDatalink Maestro SW & RR will get all your buttons working. as for the microphone, I did have to route the new mic to the stock location.

Last edited by jeremy_montoya; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 09:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I use PAC SWI-RC in conjunction with Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX for steering wheel controls.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by DJ EVOX

Is the carplay adapter unique to this head unit or could it be used for the mmcs
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Love my Alpine
Old Dec 4, 2019, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by MrHalfSack
Love my Alpine
do the phone buttons work? If so what adapters did you buy so they would work properly. Everything I’ve looked up is 5+ years old and no one accomplished anything.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 04:02 AM

IMO...Forget the other units...Android based Tesla Replica Head unit 12.1inch ! Waiting to hear of other's experience.

http://www.lancerstore.com/#!/Androi...egory=27230824

Devin Niemela"s install

I am wondering about bugs, integrating with Fosgate system, if it works with the existing back up camera?

Old Dec 4, 2019, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Love my sygav unit. Granted I didn't buy it for audio, I bought it mainly for showing data.

The following users liked this post:
neogeo64 (Jan 1, 2021)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Love my sygav unit. Granted I didn't buy it for audio, I bought it mainly for showing data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNvRSRYpJh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqx5RwC-BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dltIClLydzk
hmm but I wanted Apple CarPlay. I just want the Bluetooth buttons to work. Those do look good though.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 01:12 PM

Love my Alpine
how did you get to fit I’m curious because I know it’s a single din or do just leave the space in the back empty with out anything on it
Old Jun 14, 2020, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marco Ochoa
how did you get to fit I’m curious because I know it’s a single din or do just leave the space in the back empty with out anything on it
I just used a normal radio install kit for the evo.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 01:27 PM

I just used a normal radio install kit for the evo.
im thinking on buying one would you say it’s worth the money
Old Jun 14, 2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Marco Ochoa
im thinking on buying one would you say it’s worth the money
I think so, I love the deck. Look much better than a factory radio and I think a normal double din radio looks awful in the Evo.

Quick Reply: Evo X Apple Radio