Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way Front LSD Options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
1-Way Front LSD Options

The only options I see for 1-way clutch type front differentials is the Cusco LSD 450 C & the ATS Carbon Hybrid ??. The part numbers are iffy for the ATS, English translations aren't very good, and can't tell where to purchase from or how much.

Anyone able to chime in here on which they got? This is housed in the t-case, but shares fluid with the transmission? also, what temps do transmissions typically see? more looking at the racing side, ats says the carbon will chip at 300F+..

Last edited by kyoo; Aug 28, 2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
You aren't likely going to find many if anyone who can claim to have tried both. I think I know of 2 people who have tried more than 1 after market diff. Me trying both clutch and torsen, and Grice trying a bunch between Berry-mobile and some other local SoCal evos.

Im still on clutch (the unavailable Mfactory 1way) and Grice back on the Cusco. IIRC, he told me once something about one of the reasons they stuck with the Cusco is they cant kill it. Clutch discs after a few years still looked new.

Im going to pull the my full drivetrain this winter and inspecting the clutch discs is one of my tasks. If they look worn I'll decide if I want to make the jump to the Cusco diff. Ignoring money, I see no reason to not run that one at this point.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

good to know - i guess cusco it is, looks like LSD 450F
Old Aug 29, 2019, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Doesn't Quaife make a front diff as well?

Edit: Just kidding, all the Quaife stuff is gear type diffs.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 29, 2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I'll chime-in...
Grice told me a while ago that he used Cusco becasue he broke everything else, not because it was the best for the job in terms of laptimes / speed through corners.

I cannot remember specifically, but he virtually made me think that you want a "transparent" front LSD, like Wavetrac, ideally. Especially for track-application.
Meaning, clutch-type may have benefits on many slower-tight corners such as AX,
But on big-track like VIR, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, you want smooth and transparent to avoid understeer.

Food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (Dec 17, 2020)
Old Aug 29, 2019, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
I'll chime-in...
Grice told me a while ago that he used Cusco becasue he broke everything else, not because it was the best for the job in terms of laptimes / speed through corners.

I cannot remember specifically, but he virtually made me think that you want a "transparent" front LSD, like Wavetrac, ideally. Especially for track-application.
Meaning, clutch-type may have benefits on many slower-tight corners such as AX,
But on big-track like VIR, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, you want smooth and transparent to avoid understeer.

Food for thought.
i think that is true to an extent - that's how the OSG was designed, but for the rear, it is difficult when one of the wheels leaves the ground.

1-way Clutches will be open on turn-in, which will allow for the best turn-in compared to helicals, etc. The question becomes how they engage on power. WIth lower ramp angles and less clutch packs engaged, should still behave ok without any 1-tire fires, at least at my power level
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Frankly, I don't have "loss of traction" under power, I have understeer under power. That is not "the same thing", the two conditions, although a FWD w/o LSD may loose traction on inside wheel and understeer at the same time, as can/will Evo without front LSD.
In our case with LSD, until we overpower Torsen or Wavetrac, we have traction.
But we all have understeer, more pronounced by stiffer rear LSD. This is where AYC helps - torque vectoring outside wheel, rotating chassis, eliminating understeer -but AYC is non-OEM in USDM Evo, and we all hear its a bit non-linear and incosistent at high-power high- grip.

So maybe its the rear LSD that needs to be Spot On, and front- for track Torsen works awesome in Acura/Honda cars. Why not in Evo?
Ask any HOnda racer, and they are all quiet delighted by Torsen type LSD.

I suspect Andy's feedback of suddenly improved traction and killing understeer after going ATS, may be because rear LSD more so than front LSD.

Something to ponder, rear LSD sorting understeer.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Frankly, I don't have "loss of traction" under power, I have understeer under power. That is not "the same thing", the two conditions, although a FWD w/o LSD may loose traction on inside wheel and understeer at the same time, as can/will Evo without front LSD.
In our case with LSD, until we overpower Torsen or Wavetrac, we have traction.
But we all have understeer, more pronounced by stiffer rear LSD. This is where AYC helps - torque vectoring outside wheel, rotating chassis, eliminating understeer -but AYC is non-OEM in USDM Evo, and we all hear its a bit non-linear and incosistent at high-power high- grip.

So maybe its the rear LSD that needs to be Spot On, and front- for track Torsen works awesome in Acura/Honda cars. Why not in Evo?
Ask any HOnda racer, and they are all quiet delighted by Torsen type LSD.

I suspect Andy's feedback of suddenly improved traction and killing understeer after going ATS, may be because rear LSD more so than front LSD.

Something to ponder, rear LSD sorting understeer.
true to an extent and definitely related. i'm not looking to sort out understeer on power, i'm just looking for "better." the rear diff is getting worked on by TRE. The corner entry of a 1-way should be better than a helical, assuming you enter without throttle, i.e., under trail braking, which I usually do. It's actually more difficult for me to come out of corners that don't have a braking section beforehand, unless I ever want to try left foot braking. The car, on power, just wants to push out. I'm hoping a more aggressive OSG in the rear from TRE will fix that, and perhaps a front diff will help let the car arc a little better under power too
Old Aug 31, 2019, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 272 Likes on 209 Posts
another option is Ralliart front plate diff... that can be run as 1 way or 1.5 way with choice of preload. bit expensive though as it comes with different carrier housing and output shaft.. Can be found used in Europe as it is standard equipment on gr N rallycars..
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:07 PM
EvoM Guru

At this point, I'm happy with my Wavetrac and have no complaints, but if I were ever move to a clutch type front diff I think Cusco holds the best record and has the most published info as well. I have a friend who just recently switched to an ATS 1 way from the stock LSD so once the season is over I'll ask him about any differences he's noticed.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Sep 2, 2019)
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

curious to hear as well. ive never felt wavetrac, i've only ever been on the stock helical. everyone seems to indicate the front diff is transformative, hard for me to imagne how
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Maybe they mean over a stock open diff.

And I stand corrected, he is using an ATS 1.5 way diff.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Wavetrac feels "like its not there", I have Wavetrac and "feel nothing".
I guess same as Torsen OEM RS.
I wondered if Shep installed it at first. Mind you, at the time of install the car was stock otherwise, and had plenty of traction-
so traction was not challenged.

I had Wavetrac installed in expectation/hope that I will be able to achieve the mythical "FWD pull" through corners, (out of corner) that I felt in Rally Fiat 128.

But nothing changed really, and later as power grew, I never had tugging or traction loss on front. Always smooth.

AYC on the other hand magically rotates rear, and that is very pleasant and pronounced.

When the car was on OEM suspension and on old original tires, and initially I wasn't expecting the rear to move, it was un-nerving - AYC felt sudden. Old tires and inexperience probably to blame.

With better tires and knowing AYC can/will work, the rear rotating predictably became confidence inspiring.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Well I talked to my friend with the ATS 1.5 way after he's done a few track days with it. He said it transformed the way the car turned in vs the factory helical LSD. TRE set the diff up, other than that I have no specifics on it.

I'd also like to note that he just won Speed Ring with this car in the Street Mod class and his lap times were breathing down the necks of many cars in higher classes that had more power, tire and aero.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
Ive heard the ATS is great up to the point it blows up.

Quick Reply: 1-Way Front LSD Options