Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Price for Evo 9's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price for Evo 9's

So I'm looking to buy another Evo 9..in your opinion what's the value looking like? Granted it's based on a lot of factors, but keeping it simple..stock vs built, mileage and wear and tear..what do you think? I found one that's stock, besides an exhaust with 100k miles for 25k. It's a Regular IX. Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2019, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
you can still find prices like that but less and less every day since in the evo world (and the car world in general) the early 90's to mid 2000s are special and the ix is considered the most sought after cream of the crop and they aren't making any more of them. I wouldn't let my ix go for anything less than $60k cad which is about $45k usd with about 25k miles on the odometer, its an ix gsr pretty heavily (but tastefully) modified and even if offered that amount i wouldn't sell because well, its not for sale.

Evo 8/9 prices are kind of up in the air right now with some long time owners finally letting go after over a decade of ownership and not really knowing the worth since nobody has an official count on how many are left. Id disregard book value since its a collectors market and give it time for the market to adjust itself. Id say any ix under 100k miles right now would go between 25 and 35k if its not hacked up/rusted, however don't expect this number to last. I can see a 20-30% increase in 5-6 years. Its all in the mileage however if you get a total unicorn ive seen bid wars.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 05:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yeah, prices have a bit of a broad range but no doubt they have climbed over the years. As an example, i bought my 9 RS w/22K miles for $22K back in 2008. Now my EvO has been modded & has 60K miles. I think the street value is somewhere what i paid for it over 10 year ago. Approx $22K

If i found the right EvO that was in good shape w/no corrosion issues, I would certainly pay $25K. Not sure i would pay more unless it was low miles & in stock trim

Throw us a link if you want some real price opinions
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the information and lines up with my views of it all. The link below is the one I'm considering. It's a vague post, as most craiglist ads are. Hard to tell the actual Vic's condition without actually seeing and verifying the things I've discussed with the owner. It would great to buy from a forum member, but there are hardly any for sale here and most ads are on FB / sometimes a good catch elsewhere

https://charleston.craigslist.org/ct...980835676.html
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Looks promising. It has been driven for sure w/the 100k miles. Wonder what the under carriage looks like & if it has seen winter driving w/road chemicals

Check those fenders for wheel mods (roll, pull etc). Its does have a nice stockish look even the engine bay. $26K is a bit steep but its a place to start if it is that stockish
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
I wouldn't let my ix go for anything less than $60k cad which is about $45k usd with about 25k miles on the odometer, its an ix gsr pretty heavily (but tastefully) modified and even if offered that amount i wouldn't sell because well, its not for sale.
Lol, super easy to make up some absurd number when you have no intention of selling. If you did have an intention of selling, you would never sell it for that price. Take like 15-20k off and then you are in the realm of reality.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

^ im sorry do you happen to have copies of statements from my build? I put nearly 90k into it since 2013 and has 25k miles. If i sold it for 60k id be taking a big loss, as you do with any built vehicle.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

^ im sorry do you happen to have copies of statements from my build? I put nearly 90k into it since 2013 and has 25k miles. If i sold it for 60k id be taking a big loss, as you do with any built vehicle.
That’s great. I too have an insane amount of money sunk into my Evo. The reality is people do not get anywhere close to it back on sale.

It’s fine if don’t believe me but lines upon lines of data from sales that are rooted in reality proves it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Unfortunately in this market nobody cares how much money you put into your build but i do have to agree with you on the mileage, with a mileage of 25k and a clean example i see them go for between 30 - 40 k USD no way that could go for 25k if you find one with 25k miles and for 25k let me know ill buy it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 07:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Unfortunately in this market nobody cares how much money you put into your build but i do have to agree with you on the mileage, with a mileage of 25k and a clean example i see them go for between 30 - 40 k USD no way that could go for 25k if you find one with 25k miles and for 25k let me know ill buy it.
Unfortunately the premium for low mileage examples goes out the window with heavy modifications.
The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
ace75 (Sep 18, 2019), evoforstevo (Oct 22, 2019)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

yea and the reality is its not an unrealistic number, heck there's a built evo 9 right now posted for 50k on the forum im going based on what id get if i were to part it out since it is a modified vehicle and the fact is if i couldnt sell straight up for that amount id get that amount anyway through part out. If supras with 100k miles are going for 100k uh yea you better bet im asking that much..
Old Sep 17, 2019, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

yea and the reality is its not an unrealistic number, heck there's a built evo 9 right now posted for 50k on the forum im going based on what id get if i were to part it out since it is a modified vehicle and the fact is if i couldnt sell straight up for that amount id get that amount anyway through part out. If supras with 100k miles are going for 100k uh yea you better bet im asking that much..
Reality is:

A. Understanding that people can (and do) list any selling price they want, but it doesn’t mean it actually sells for that.

B. Evos are not supras yet. At all, or even close to it.

C. You keep listing hypothetical situations not rooted in any actual data.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

My point is supras aren't worth that much, not even close, same with the 90's Porsche 911 turbo, they arent even that rare. You can find more of those for sale than evo 9's. Its called inflation. People are paying it because of a market bubble, created from hype and fast and furious movies caused a 300% spike in asking prices with a 5 year period.

Anyway I didn't get an evo for investment i couldn't care less what its actual worth is. Tomorrow could be a global financial recession and suddenly everything is worth nothing. However i do think the evo ix is currently undervalued considering the current market, it just has not caught up yet. Its got all the check marks that lancia delta integrale has for example except the big one that supra also has. Age.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
A stock or lightly modded Evo IX with low miles and in good shape can sell for anywhere between $23,000.00 and $28,000.00. Occasionally you get the guy who is trying to sell fast and is really not focused on making money because he has money and his time is worth more. Those are far and few in between, but I have seen them in the $18,000s and below. You also get the guy who will post it for $30,000.00 because he isn't trying to sell fast and is looking for a wealthier target audience. This man probably has so much money (or he's an idiot) that selling the car won't make a difference in his immediate life (or he's really got a B.A.T. gem). There are less IX's than any other Evo that came to the U.S. That being said, I wouldn't let mine go for anything less than something retarded either. Not because it's worth that price, but because it was my blood and sweat that dropped in the pistons/rods, installed all the modern electronics, and kept it pristine.

Last edited by Pal215; Sep 23, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 9 SE with 38k on the clock and mint. I have thought about selling it if someone made me the right offer, stock top and bottom end, bolt on stuff, I did lightly roll the rears to fit a wider tire. Otherwise is pristine, I often hear it is a unicorn. It just sits too much, I use it for some autocross here and there. Would just buy a shell and build it the way I want so I don't have to worry about it, this thing is too clean to drive, lol.

Quick Reply: Price for Evo 9's