Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus Launch Control Device

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnus Launch Control Device

Is this basically a brake proportioning valve with a line lock solenoid?

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/
Old Sep 30, 2019, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,323 Posts
It's an adjustable hydraulic damper/flow control valve with a bypass.
The following users liked this post:
nglett (Oct 1, 2019)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nglett
Is this basically a brake proportioning valve with a line lock solenoid?

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/
looks like it’s more or less the pill that the stock clutch line has only adjustable. Seems like a great idea to limit driveline shock from rapid clutch engagement.
nglett (Oct 1, 2019)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
The big difference with this is that its bypassed after the launch (speed controlled potentially, or just via a switch). So you dont have the clutch damper on every shift, just for launching.
nglett (Oct 1, 2019)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Control would have to be implemented through manual switch, microcontroller, or aftermarket ecu. The oem ecu does not have an extra output channel to disable this bad boy after the launch. I considered buying one of these until I heard that solenoid they use has failed numerous times. The concept is bullet proof though. Just need a clutch that doesn't mind being launched with some friction constantly. That way you can really get it dialed in.

Last edited by Pal215; Sep 30, 2019 at 02:23 PM.
nglett (Oct 1, 2019)
Old Oct 1, 2019, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

It doesn’t seem that hard to build. The valve is $30, line lock solenoid is $50 and maybe another $50 in adapters/ hardware/ wiring. It would be simple enough to use a WOT switch (like they use on carbureted NOS system) mounted to the top of your transmission for 1st gear activation. You could also add an in car master switch to further restrict activation.

I’m assuming that they’re using a generic solenoid. Maybe other brands have better failure rates.

I agree that it does seem like a good way to lessen driveline shock on a hard launch. I’ve read some arguments against using it because it increases clutch wear, you’ll increase 1/4mi time, and it doesn’t limit drivetrain shock because of how a clutch engages. IMO, if it keeps me from breaking something one time, it’s paid for it’s self. I’m not sponsored nor am I making any money at the track so I can afford to add a little time if it means I break less things.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

It 100% limits drivetrain shock. You can make it take like a full second to fully release the clutch. But you shouldn't be dropping the clutch on the launch anyways...

The biggest thing is the consistency it'll give you. When set up correctly you'll be able to have good, repeatable 60' times because it'll take the human factor out of feeding the clutch in to get the car off the line.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
nglett (Oct 1, 2019), Roccy (Oct 2, 2019)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It 100% limits drivetrain shock. You can make it take like a full second to fully release the clutch. But you shouldn't be dropping the clutch on the launch anyways...

The biggest thing is the consistency it'll give you. When set up correctly you'll be able to have good, repeatable 60' times because it'll take the human factor out of feeding the clutch in to get the car off the line.
The only problem I see is that it will slow the entire peddle stroke. However only the last portion is actually engaging the clutch. As a result, you would probably want to side step the clutch from about half way up. Otherwise it will slow the time before the clutch is even close to engaging.
nglett (Oct 3, 2019)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone PM me the install instructions for either the MAPerformance or Magnus MotorSports LCD?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TurboTJ
The only problem I see is that it will slow the entire peddle stroke. However only the last portion is actually engaging the clutch. As a result, you would probably want to side step the clutch from about half way up. Otherwise it will slow the time before the clutch is even close to engaging.
You should be holding the car with a staging brake and bring the pedal up to the pint of engagement while you're staging. You don't hold the pedal on the floor.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You should be holding the car with a staging brake and bring the pedal up to the pint of engagement while you're staging. You don't hold the pedal on the floor.
Zack had a cool setup where they would stage, pull the e-brake, bring RPMs up, let out clutch till its just about to catch, the push a button that locked the clutch line, and completely took foot off clutch pedal. To launch they just let go of the button and brake (button was on the steering wheel). Dialing in launch aggressiveness was just a turn of the knob in the cockpit for the bleed rate.

They used the Haltech to disable the clutch restrictor above a mph set point. It was pretty cool but I think they ended up just going back to manually launching cause as variable changes whats needed also changes. Like clutch heat, tire heat, ambient temps, pro-solo staging lane rubber, etc.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Zack had a cool setup where they would stage, pull the e-brake, bring RPMs up, let out clutch till its just about to catch, the push a button that locked the clutch line, and completely took foot off clutch pedal. To launch they just let go of the button and brake (button was on the steering wheel). Dialing in launch aggressiveness was just a turn of the knob in the cockpit for the bleed rate.

They used the Haltech to disable the clutch restrictor above a mph set point. It was pretty cool but I think they ended up just going back to manually launching cause as variable changes whats needed also changes. Like clutch heat, tire heat, ambient temps, pro-solo staging lane rubber, etc.
There's definitely more variables in an autocross setting vs drag racing.