Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Why do you drive/own an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Why do you drive/own an evo?

Hi everyone!
Im making this post to get some different point of views on owning an evo. Is it your daily? Your dream car? Your weekend cruiser? Stuff like that.

Ive owned my evo 8 for over 11 years now. I love the car, very fun to drive, has been reliable. Its mildly modded and has mid 300s whp.

My (realistic) childhood dream car has always been a corvette. I have seriously been considering selling my evo and getting a c6 grand sport.

Im at the point in my life where i dont really care about max whp and i dont think ill ever fully build my evo. I just want a fun weekend car, but in this case, i would love to have my dream car.

My daily is an rsx thats reliable and great mpg. I have a tacoma thats taken my family everywhere. My evo has only had about 3k miles put on it in the past 2 years.

Has anyone sold their evo for their "dream car" and then regretted it? I always told myself id only sell the evo for financial needs or to upgrade. While i dont consider the corvette an upgrade, its been my dream car since i knew what cars where, but the evo is just so much fun i cant see myself without it. Plus i really like the rare factor.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I really want to think about everything possible before i decide to sell my evo. thanks!

EDIT* Im not concerned with the sale price of the evo, im realistic about what i can sell it for and i have a few people constantly asking me to sell it to them.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
That's awesome to hear, I'm almost at 11 years of ownership myself!

The evo was my dream car in high school, but it's been a long time and now I have my sights set on a higher goal. I found that Evo reliability tends to drop with mods, not with age or mileage so you're in good shape to drive it for a long time. I think that the money you get from selling it would not make up for the fun factor of the car. That's why I choose to keep mine. My next goal car is actually an Audi TTRS and then maybe someday the Corvette C8 Z06. I will probably stay away from exotics and hyper cars in this life. Not because of money, but because of the special tools and computers needed to work on them. I also don't exactly need the screaming attention
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd rent a Corvette on Toro for the weekend. If it's still something you want then sell the Evo.
The following users liked this post:
Damoncio808 (Feb 23, 2022)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
That's awesome to hear, I'm almost at 11 years of ownership myself!

The evo was my dream car in high school, but it's been a long time and now I have my sights set on a higher goal. I found that Evo reliability tends to drop with mods, not with age or mileage so you're in good shape to drive it for a long time. I think that the money you get from selling it would not make up for the fun factor of the car. That's why I choose to keep mine. My next goal car is actually an Audi TTRS and then maybe someday the Corvette C8 Z06. I will probably stay away from exotics and hyper cars in this life. Not because of money, but because of the special tools and computers needed to work on them. I also don't exactly need the screaming attention
Interesting thoughts, thank you!

Originally Posted by JDZNate
I'd rent a Corvette on Toro for the weekend. If it's still something you want then sell the Evo.
I never thought of renting one, i will look into that. Thank you!
JDZNate (Oct 3, 2019)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 01:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
I was just super impressed by the capability of the evo when i first got to ride in one back in the mid 2000's. And before that i was into DSM's, so the evo was the next logical step up for an AWD turbocharged Mitsu.
I sold my first evo and bought another one less than a month later. And in the past 10 years i've owned 4 evo's... basically whenever i could afford to have one as a toy.

I love the evo a bit more now because its getting more rare. To me, its the last of an era of cars that are like new age muscle cars. Simple to modify, not full of tech/sensors and manual transmission. <-- (this is why i own/drive one)

But similar to a poster above, my newest "dream car" is now an audi RS3. They've just come for far in what they are capable of while maintaining a very nice interior and smooth ride. The RS3 is my dream daily driver.

OP, like others have said, test drive the car you think you'll like better. If you sell your evo and regret it, you can always buy a different one.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Evo was and is my dream car. There are many reasons why, very responsive steering, awd, very capable motor, exterior looks, spacious interior etc.. But I do admit the cheap lancer looking interior and lack of sound deadening really sucks.

If you get board with the Evo , modify it to what you want it to be. After all the name is “Evolution” . Cheap interior? Custom modify it and leather wrap it etc...

A very good amount of people that sold their Evo later came back . I was one of them. But only thing I really ever regretted with my past Evo is I drove it in snow/salted roads as it was my daily. Now my current Evo is a southern car never seen snow and is undergoing major transformation as part of its evolution .

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Oct 3, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 04:47 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Why not sell the RSX and daily the evo?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Because it was and to this day remains my dream car among others, its extreme capabilities and handling, ease to modify up to 600whp from the factory. Many people didn't see it when it came it the US but i truly think this car is a legend and time will unveil this. Right up there with the supra, r34 gtr, nsx ect..

Critics tried comparing it as a rival to the sti and i never got that because it was so different, did the sti have a completely redesigned chassis from the wrx? no. Same bumpers, headlights, tailights, quarter panels It also carried the same engine/drivetrain layout, where the ct9a evo couldn't even be compared to a base lancer in any way except maybe the front door. I have the same love for the ct9a as the lancia delta integrale evo 2. I also think the same of the bmw e36 and e46 generations m3. These are extremely underappreciated cars that like anything else will gain the respect they deserve when there are so few left.

Last edited by RallySport9; Oct 3, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 06:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a tuned (ecu only) C6 Z06 with a ZR1 Aero pack and K&N air filter and uprated brakes. I wouldn't touch a Grand Sport C6, its a pretender to the real deal, a sheep in wolves clothing.

Get a C6 Z06 if you're going to get any C6.

I now have a JDM Evo 9MR and I really miss the Z06 from time to time but I did worry about leaving it in places and I worried about the common problem of the valve guides wearing and the engine suddenly blowing up like the LS7 has a habit of doing, the reality of the situation is the Z06 in New Zealand would be a real pain, the Evo is much more usable and certainly quicker on twisty roads.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 07:34 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
My co-worker just picked up an 09 Z06 at auction. I never really followed chevy or vettes, but
I couldn't believe the lengths GM went to to lighten that thing up. It's 100 lbs lighter than an EVO8.

Feels like it is going to handle better than my EVO on the track, but with only a tune and even the stock big 325
rear tire, he has to be careful getting into the power on turns. Being we are both very new on road courses, I'm much
happier not having to worry too much about applying power (I'm currently about 360 (AWHP).

The other reason I like the EVO for track use, is if god forbid you wreck it, you can get rollers for well under 10 grand.
He wrecks that Z06, not going to find parts easy for that, EVERYTHING is different on it, even has alum frame.
All that said, if you get anything, don't buy at an auction. He has some electrical glitch that we haven't figured out yet.
and I suspect previous owner knew it and that is why he got it so cheap ($29K plus fees @ Barret-Jackson).

Anyway, bought my EVO new, and can only be first owner once. I'm keeping it until I literally can't drive stick anymore.
EVO196 (Oct 5, 2019)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Why not sell the RSX and daily the evo?
Funny you say that. About 2 years ago my new job was no longer close to home. I commute about 80 miles a day and its a straight highway drive so its not a fun drive at all. For about 9 years the evo was the daily. I just didnt want to put 20k miles a year on the evo on a borimg drive. I do miss driving it daily tho

Originally Posted by banzaievo
I had a tuned (ecu only) C6 Z06 with a ZR1 Aero pack and K&N air filter and uprated brakes. I wouldn't touch a Grand Sport C6, its a pretender to the real deal, a sheep in wolves clothing.

Get a C6 Z06 if you're going to get any C6.
Just curious, what made you go with the c6z?

Thank you everyone else for your comments. A lot of views i havent really thought of or simply forgot about.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 06:17 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho

Just curious, what made you go with the c6z?

Thank you everyone else for your comments. A lot of views i havent really thought of or simply forgot about.
100's of differences over the regular C6. Even the engine is lowered 3/4-1 inch with different motors mounts.
Dry sump from the factory. Alum frame, although I think that was only 2-3 years and they went back to steel,
which increased weight about 100 lbs. I think even the glass was a bit thinner.

Besides my EVO, I'm a true blue Ford guy mostly. The fact that anyone made a 500 HP, 7 L, 6 speed rear transaxle
drivetrain that can handle all that power, with all the creature comforts, big brakes, big tires, about 60% as tall as an EVO, but still rides
not bad and it. All that and the weight coming in at 3140 (and it didn't cost even 100 grand new) is hard to believe.
I'm pissed that they made it, as I thought I would have a weight advantage over any other car he was going to get.
(and then the new GT500 is 4250, UGH!!!!)

Downside to me is you can't hide from cops in that. Put a quieter exh on an EVO, de-wing it, and paint calipers black,
very few knows what it is. Just looks like any other eco-box sedan with nice wheels, not something that the cops
in their mind think is doing 80, when it's doing 20.

I have an new Fusion Sport that runs high 12's with tune, AWD, some susp and tire mods. Very heavy, but best quality about it
is it looks almost exactly the same as any other fusion. Dead quiet and ZERO attention given to it. My buddy who got Z06
had 06 CTSV before that. That was the same deal, very stealthy and now he has to be a lot more careful.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 01:05 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho
Funny you say that. About 2 years ago my new job was no longer close to home. I commute about 80 miles a day and its a straight highway drive so its not a fun drive at all. For about 9 years the evo was the daily. I just didnt want to put 20k miles a year on the evo on a borimg drive. I do miss driving it daily tho
To me the evo is King Beater. It's a lancer at its core, and the way I think about it it's more of a hopped up beater then a 4 door Porsche. The car is well built and can easily handle the miles, and its a ball of clay as far as modding. Most people mod for performance, you could easily mod it for comfort and long cruising. Of course it's special in our hearts, but its not a car you have to feel bad about driving, you can put miles on it and not sweat the value and wear and tear.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
To me the evo is King Beater. It's a lancer at its core, and the way I think about it it's more of a hopped up beater then a 4 door Porsche. The car is well built and can easily handle the miles, and its a ball of clay as far as modding. Most people mod for performance, you could easily mod it for comfort and long cruising. Of course it's special in our hearts, but its not a car you have to feel bad about driving, you can put miles on it and not sweat the value and wear and tear.
lol either you dont own a very nice example of the evo 8/9 or you're strictly speaking for yourself.. My ix only has 25k miles and id feel guilty putting another 5k on it. My plan is to have fun with it till 60k then return it to stock and store it for good. These cars have a history in rally and it is in no way a base lancer even if you stripped it down to its bare chassis...would you say the m3 is just a 325i? or the lancia delta integrale just a lancia delta with wider fenders? or the r34 gtr just a gts at its core? Practically every manufacture bases their performance car on an economy version. The evo is no different and with such low production numbers if everyone used the evo as a beater and didnt feel bad about it they would have been fully extinct within 10 years.

Last edited by RallySport9; Oct 4, 2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

The unwanted attention is something i am worried about getting a vette. Is it really that much attention (from the law)?

Im somewhere in between having an evo as a daily. I enjoy drivimg it the most when the drive is engaging. My current commute is pretty much 35 miles of a litterally straight highway drive, so i didnt want to rack up "boring" miles.

Anyone trade for an evo X? Or have a X and an 8/9?

I have also considered going that route (MR with SST) Im aware of the issues with the sst so i would buy a fairly low mileage one less than 30k.

Thanks for your replies guys i really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Why do you drive/own an evo?