Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AC not working when raining on highway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023 | 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

AC not working when raining on highway

hello,
it sound very crazy, but after multiple random highway driving plus when it heavy rains my AC stops working.
its really weird, and dont know why its happening.
does is happen to anyone, ever?
thank you.
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

what exactly is not working? blower? compressor? maybe youre getting ice on the evaporator/drier?

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Aug 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

blower works, air is coming, but when i put ac on, as it is i can feel, its not AC cold. it basically just the air as AC is turned off, even its on.

Last edited by dino21; Aug 31, 2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

well check the wire on top of the compressor IF the compressor pulley isn't engaging when you turn the AC on
Old Aug 29, 2023 | 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ Yea sounds like a short somewhere in the connection for the compressor.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Rain leads to high humidity in the air. If system is getting low on refrigerant temperatures at the evaporator will get below freezing. This will cause the evaporator to frost over and block air flow. So no A/C in the cabin. Get your A/C checked for low refrigerant. It can leak out over time. If it gets low enough system shuts down but prior to that it gets colder and has frost issues. If it happens again shut down A/C for a half an hour and let frost melt. If frost is the issue it will start working again after it melts.
Old Oct 13, 2023 | 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

thank you guys for all your inputs. i was quite busy, but will go thru those things. thanks
Old Oct 13, 2024 | 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

just to update you guys, its was not only not working while driving and raining, it also stopped working while washing the card and some water spray came into the front bumper and the ventilator.
i got AC checked all the way, replenished the freon, and its all sealed and to leakage.
so i sealed the connectors, didnt try it yet, but i will soon it that was the issue.

Old Oct 14, 2024 | 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

My guess is that the connector that connects to the compressor unit, which activates the clutch, has been damaged and allows water to enter into it. The short could be preventing the magnetic clutch from engaging when it is wet, but working when dry. You can fix it by checking the connector, making sure that it has a voltage reading when the A/C is turned on, and using dielectric grease on the plastic part of the connector to help keep it dry. Also check for any damage to the wire itself.
Old Yesterday | 10:55 PM

I’m experiencing the same thing. How is everything going on your side?
Old Today | 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

as you said. ill do so and check stuff as you said. somehow i was not lucky for rain now, and when it was raining i was driving other car. tomorrow im going to splash it with my water hose, and see.
Old Today | 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EliasGriffin
I’m experiencing the same thing. How is everything going on your side?
so far nothing, ill check tomorrow as i will splash it with water.

Originally Posted by SsZERO
My guess is that the connector that connects to the compressor unit, which activates the clutch, has been damaged and allows water to enter into it. The short could be preventing the magnetic clutch from engaging when it is wet, but working when dry. You can fix it by checking the connector, making sure that it has a voltage reading when the A/C is turned on, and using dielectric grease on the plastic part of the connector to help keep it dry. Also check for any damage to the wire itself.
as you said. ill do so and check stuff as you said. somehow i was not lucky for rain now, and when it was raining i was driving other car. tomorrow im going to splash it with my water hose, and see.