Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Ralliart Advanced topics subforum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart Advanced topics subforum

a while back I asked Otter about a technical forum for the RA community. we have general, na/drivetrain, and forced induction. Lately we have had some advanced topics come up that don't really fit into one of the three, more like all three. I have no interest in being a mod, but if you are short staffed I would much rather moderate a tech forum than not have one. It's become especially evident now that people are beginning to understand the importance of tuning this engine that we need to separate the novice crowd from the experienced crown, or at least highlight when someone is leaving the realm of the obvious and entering the realm of the unknown.

for your reference please take a look at four topics I randomly selected that I think would fit excellent in an advanced forum, and three that highlight why we should distinguish these topics from one another.

Technical
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=288865
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=266908
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=275518
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=262790

Out of their league(not a bad thing, just a generalization)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=291165
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=292404
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=284138

you can see how quickly some people get in over their heads, and an advanced section would allow them to browse through the advanced topics before making an ill-informed decision about their car. as of now, they have to sort through all information relevant to a topic just to find a little detail about it. not to mention the fact that instead of just telling them it's an advanced topic that requires much research we could point them to the advanced forum rules and refer them to more reading.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But is there enough to continue? Occasionally we'll have a great idea for a forum and it'll get used for a month and then no one will use it again. I just don't know if 7 threads are enough proof to show a definite need.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

only four threads, the second set are threads illustrating the need for a technical forum so people who ask questions like that have a central location to look for such advanced information.

As I said, I don't want to moderate a forum unless it's necessary to start it, but I would be willing to go through the forums and find threads to move without any problem at all. The four I pasted here are just the most recent with information that encompasses more than just turbo, na, or the average bolt on mods.

Advanced tuning topics cover all induction types, and don't belong in a general forum. Also, I don't believe disassembling the EGR circuit and valve falls under a general or NA sub-forum, but rather a technical forum where this information can be readily discussed and found.

AWD conversion, cylinder head porting and rebuild, piggyback installation (without instructions,) standalone (although the discussion has not been public, it's still out there,) and ECU disassembly (some public, but we aren't even able to download the rom yet. it would sure be nice to have somewhere to discuss this with other RA's rather than having to link a thread in my sig so people even know it's possible) are just a few topics that are on the forum that are active or have been recently that show a need for a more advanced forum.

the lifetime of the RA seems to be getting to the point that these advanced topics are beginning to be explored, and I for one plan on keeping this car for awhile. Can we get an advanced forum, and as Charles has said, if it doesn't work out close it down and move the threads back to RA general. This isn't specific to one user or another, such as the detailing forum being asked for, or the gaming and photography forums (yeah, I know they are off topic and likely easy to moderate,) but rather a common place for topics that are above the average users knowledge.

Pretty please?

Last edited by DangerousDan; Sep 10, 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

BSD, though I can see your point with only 7 threads to start with, I can however see where Dan's coming from.

I'm a fellow RA owner myself and lately, there have been alot of "Technical/Advanced" discussions. I think a centralized location for all these threads would be an absolutely great idea and this new section should be in a separate forum discussion or at least as a technical subsection of an already existing RA forum.

The Technical thread doesn't have to be in the form of a Engine/Turbo, Drivetrain, Wheels/Brakes etc. It can be just under one forum/sub-section "Technical/Advanced". As time goes by, when the popularity and knowledge of our fellow RA community increase, more threads will increase and hopefully sub-sections will be in place.

Anyway, with the RA's successor coming out, it would be great to get a "Technical" thread underway.

+1 with Dan.

P.S I hope you can join the bandwagon too! Just give it a chance :-)
Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

100%

the engine and ECU are three years old now(MY). we are just getting to the stages where the other forums are too generic for the information in some of these threads.

This is the feedback and suggestions forum for instance. how many people have actually been here before, and how long has this thread been open, yet no one has replied in here. most likely it's because the people who have seen this thread don't care. I understand it will happen in the advanced forums as well, but unless we have one we have to sift through all the generic information to find the advanced information. I am not saying it's not a pita to add another forum, only that I, and others as well, would benefit from the addition of an advanced topics forum in the RA section.

no reply from admin or staff and this has been four days, I don't know if that's good or bad maybe it's on the table???
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

I reckon it will happen. I think whilst most of these advanced topics are in the air, we should have the forum/sub-section opened so we can begin sorting out the advanced topics.

I for one would love to refer to technical/advanced knowledge to better understand my engine. Most of the times I'm having to rummage through older threads via searches to find the technical information I need which aren't always related to the type of "technical" information I'm after.

Come on Admins! Give us a go!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Thanks everyone for your ideas; we will take a look at it. It is the weekend and will take a few days to get the moderator's input.

Speedlimit...
Old Sep 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

thanks man

and like I said, I have no desire to moderate a forum, let alone a section, but I would rather do that than not have one at all. let me know if you need to enlist more help to make this happen, either in a mod position or a researcher to help move threads. The section would benefit everyone, especially the people who would be contributing regularly, and it's the one thing the RA forums are lacking.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

5 days have gone by now. Just wondering if you've brought this up in the meeting SL?

Or am I jumping the gun?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Actually I was discussing it today. The moderators are kind of split between those that feel it is necessary and those who don't care. I should be able resolve this shortly as I have one more "precinct" to report in. Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the quick update SL.

I hope we get it!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:44 PM

Nice Update
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:05 AM
spt
Evolved Member

I'll go ahead and add the new section. It should be up next week. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

awesome, thanks so much
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yippee!

Quick Reply: Ralliart Advanced topics subforum