Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Wait a min.. no video section on EVOM?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
Well he's not talking about turning evom into a site like youtube or streetfire. Embedded videos do not affect evoMs bandwith because they are hosted from a 3rd party source.
yes, but having a "video section" would mean those files would get uploaded here. It's one thing to post the URL which takes someone to youtube or embed it into a post here, it's another to have a section where you're uploading files to.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i think a dedicated video section would be cool. make my life easier to find vids posted before. I personally would volunteer to mod it, and keep it free of illegal content.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
i think a dedicated video section would be cool. make my life easier to find vids posted before. I personally would volunteer to mod it, and keep it free of illegal content.
If we decide to do this, I'll keep your name in mind.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'll monitor it tooooooooooooooooooo............
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by SASD209
If we decide to do this, I'll keep your name in mind.
haha cool i do spend a chunk of my day here lol. mostly trolling the OT
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The original reason we never had a video section was largely related to the impact on the server. We used to struggle with everyday load, thanks to EvoM's booming population and activity. The difficulty inherent in modding it was secondary, but also important.

Speaking without any specific knowledge of our current or future server situation, I can say that our servers definitely handle load way better than they did and the IB team obviously thinks it's worth revisiting.

Just a little EvoM history there.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
The original reason we never had a video section was largely related to the impact on the server. We used to struggle with everyday load, thanks to EvoM's booming population and activity. The difficulty inherent in modding it was secondary, but also important.

Speaking without any specific knowledge of our current or future server situation, I can say that our servers definitely handle load way better than they did and the IB team obviously thinks it's worth revisiting.

Just a little EvoM history there.
well like stated i don't think hosting the videos is the idea but allowing them to be embedded or sumtin like that. (not sure if that will still tax the system)
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
well like stated i don't think hosting the videos is the idea but allowing them to be embedded or sumtin like that. (not sure if that will still tax the system)
URL's do not "tax" the system, they just point your browser to the location of the pic/ video in this case. That's why if you add a pic URL here or embed a photo all it does it shoot your browser to catch the picture in the pointed server. The reason why I said about it being uploading here on EVOm is because he's asking for a video section. Only way it would be embedded into the site using someone else's bandwidth would be if EVOm teamed up with youtube or something and allowed a trusted direct upload with them. That way if you're watching a video, it's using EVOm eye candy, but using youtube's bandwidth/ resources. If you upload the videos onto EVOm, I'm sure everyone will feel its effects, but I'm not sure what kind of architecture structure the servers use/ have so no clue on bandwidth and processing power.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
seriously guys... how hard is it to go to streetfire and type evo in the search function....
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
seriously guys... how hard is it to go to streetfire and type evo in the search function....
thats not the point. if u do that u get all sorts of stuff. i think what we should aim for is like a type of library style organized video section. its just nice not having to leave the site to find content that i think should be here.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

its a great idea...plus it would be nice knowing whos car
is whos and not just doing a random search on youtube
but rather opening a thread that reads "ineedspots runs
a 11.00 at [BLAH BLAHH BLAHH]"
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:53 AM

I dont condone crazy street racing, but whats wrong with posting up a 0-100 pull on a old back road to show people how fast your car is, or burning off the tires in a empty lot before replacing them. Its not like the site it going to be liable and get in trouble, just because you dont let people post the videos doesnt mean people arent doing dumb stuff. So let them post it if they want, besides im sure there would be a ton of people at the track that would post up videos also. I VOTE FOR VID SECTION!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:40 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the site used to have a video section but it took a lot of bandwidth, hence it was discontinued. I remember seeing and even posting vids of evo I-VI in rallies. But since the new owners IB should have no problems with that I'm all for it. As long as it is a sanctioned video, like rallies, race track, car testing, etc. No street racing however or any illegal activity that can ban the evo in the states.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by holmes14
I dont condone crazy street racing, but whats wrong with posting up a 0-100 pull on a old back road to show people how fast your car is, or burning off the tires in a empty lot before replacing them. Its not like the site it going to be liable and get in trouble, just because you dont let people post the videos doesnt mean people arent doing dumb stuff. So let them post it if they want, besides im sure there would be a ton of people at the track that would post up videos also. I VOTE FOR VID SECTION!
The site isn't worried about getting in trouble. We just have no interest in videos being posted that encourages more douchebags to go out there and put other people's lives at risk. There are plenty of tracks for people to go race at, and has been pointed out, there are places on EvoM where it's appropriate to post such videos.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'm all for a video section with Appropriate Vids. no street racing and such.

People could upload vids to youtube or vimeo and then just create a post with the link, without uploading it to the site.

Organization would also be cool. If you could somehow encourage people to do video review of products. As an example film the effects of changing your suspension/tires/brakes/ or whatever.

there seems to be a flood of "racing" vids on the internet but no much of anything else. Educational How To's anyone?

Quick Reply: Wait a min.. no video section on EVOM?