Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

The Search Issue Thread. Mega Merge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
An example would be helpful.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
hum. ill do my best.

a while ago i would type in something generally easy. and i would find exactly what im looking for. or get alot of thread with info on my requests. now i can type in the exact same thing and not even find what im looking for within the 10 to 15 pages that come up.

i even type in thread titles and they dont come up.

also the feature when i do a search and the words match they show red. half the time i dont even get that but yet it somehow ended up in my results with no words of what i was searching for.

how is that?

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Mar 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree, the search function before was alot better, i mean, ive searched totally different words and got the same results for both which was not even close to the search words. wish it could go back to the way it used to be.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just typed in "Drag evo" and got a for sale thread for stock advans, Gauge overlays and a bunch of other useless threads. It was more accurate when you had the "relevance" "date" etc to sort out the threads.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by sikrsix
I just typed in "Drag evo" and got a for sale thread for stock advans, Gauge overlays and a bunch of other useless threads. It was more accurate when you had the "relevance" "date" etc to sort out the threads.
Alright, that's what I was looking for, I'll pass it on.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When EvoM was boostlabs I always found the search function to be excellent. Now it is horrible.

Whatever the settings used to be, say 2 years ago with Boostlabs go back to that...

I used to have keywords I would use in the ECUflash area where searching is critical and it would always find what I needed. For example: 2 byte load + logworks used to always find the threads I needed. Now it gives out rubbish. I have to use something like: "2 byte" +"logworks" + "load"; and it still sucks.

Please just go back to the settings Boostlabs used.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by jid2
When EvoM was boostlabs I always found the search function to be excellent. Now it is horrible.

Whatever the settings used to be, say 2 years ago with Boostlabs go back to that...

I used to have keywords I would use in the ECUflash area where searching is critical and it would always find what I needed. For example: 2 byte load + logworks used to always find the threads I needed. Now it gives out rubbish. I have to use something like: "2 byte" +"logworks" + "load"; and it still sucks.

Please just go back to the settings Boostlabs used.
It's been repeatedly covered why we can't do this. The old search was unable to keep up with the site growth and ended up extensively corrupting the search index. That's what forced IB to start with a new search setup and customize it to fit the needs and scale of EvoM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Solution to the VB **** search engine (I run a vb board, trust me, I know)

go to google.com

in the search type: "site:forums.evolutionm.net yoursearchterms" where yoursearchterms is, well, you get the picture... Way better than the vb search, and not so DAMN slow. Down side is that it is slightly delayed, so today's stuff might not be there yet.

Last edited by otter; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Webman
Solution to the VB **** search engine (I run a vb board, trust me, I know)

go to google.com

in the search type: "site:forums.evolutionm.net yoursearchterms" where yoursearchterms is, well, you get the picture... Way better than the vb search, and not so DAMN slow. Down side is that it is slightly delayed, so today's stuff might not be there yet.
We have a swear filter for a reason, don't bypass it, thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have been beating my head against the wall for weeks trying to figure the new search option out. You asked for an example. Just a few minutes ago I typed in time attack evo pics, (I was just looking at this thread a few days ago) it didn't pull up anything related. Only off the wall stuff for example it pulled up a thread thats is currently titled My TTP experience. Am I just a knucklehead and doing something wrong? The has been an on going problem for weeks or for me anyway. I hate making new threads b ut I literally can't get the search function to work properly. Any advice?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's been repeatedly covered why we can't do this. The old search was unable to keep up with the site growth and ended up extensively corrupting the search index. That's what forced IB to start with a new search setup and customize it to fit the needs and scale of EvoM.

maybe this forum needs a deep cleaning then???? i mean i always see stuff in threads that can be removed or should have never been posted. i see many threads that should be removed as well and they are not. this forum needs a cleaning. you should get a few volunteers to do just that. because clearly its not being done.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:11 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by slvrr
I have been beating my head against the wall for weeks trying to figure the new search option out. You asked for an example. Just a few minutes ago I typed in time attack evo pics, (I was just looking at this thread a few days ago) it didn't pull up anything related. Only off the wall stuff for example it pulled up a thread thats is currently titled My TTP experience. Am I just a knucklehead and doing something wrong? The has been an on going problem for weeks or for me anyway. I hate making new threads b ut I literally can't get the search function to work properly. Any advice?
Try searching for "time attack evo" rather than time attack evo. Quoting searches for the phrase, whereas just typing the 3 words searches for every thread with time, attack, or evo in it (which is basically every thread on the site). Using the quotes quickly finds this thread.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
maybe this forum needs a deep cleaning then???? i mean i always see stuff in threads that can be removed or should have never been posted. i see many threads that should be removed as well and they are not. this forum needs a cleaning. you should get a few volunteers to do just that. because clearly its not being done.
Do you have a few thousand hours of your time to volunteer to sort the wheat from the chaff? I know I don't.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Try searching for "time attack evo" rather than time attack evo. Quoting searches for the phrase, whereas just typing the 3 words searches for every thread with time, attack, or evo in it (which is basically every thread on the site). Using the quotes quickly finds this thread.

Do you have a few thousand hours of your time to volunteer to sort the wheat from the chaff? I know I don't.
ok great thank you. I never knew that "" would be the diffrence! Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly

actually i spend more time on this forum then 95% of any member or mod. if i had the power to clean up, help sort this forum and also remove some of the BS i would be doing it on a regular basis with current and back from the dead threads. and whatever else i can do.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:02 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
For what it's worth, a deep cleaning wouldn't help the old search function much. Genuine on topic content long ago outgrew the core vB search function. And being that we have a fairly new model and several derivatives (2008+ Lancer, Ralliart, Evo X), our growth would quickly saturate it again.

Quick Reply: The Search Issue Thread. Mega Merge