Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

The Search Issue Thread. Mega Merge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Search Issue Thread. Mega Merge

please add your complaint. keep it brief
1.search by post date returns dates not in order. (seems random)
2.search default is relevance and does not remember last used i.e date
3.search returns several of the same thread

Last edited by leecavturbo; Jan 15, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 & 2. As you mentioned, it sorts by relevance. This may be something that the IB team can address by adding search preferences to the user CP. I'll bring this to their attention, and we'll see if it's something that can be improved upon.

3. If you change your results ("Show results as:" in the bottom left of the adv. search window) you can prevent multiples of the same thread repeating in your results. As far as improving upon this, perhaps this is something that could also be added to search preferences, or at least something you could toggle on the results page. I'll ask.

See? Much better!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

HobieKopek.
just to add. i found the "save search preferences" button and thought omg all i had to do is set my sort by date / threads etc then my default search will be setup how i want it. and i think the majority of users have never spotted this button too as in the last version of search, users never needed to set the preference as the default used to be by date, which most prefer so they/me was not looking for a button to save their search preference!

HOWEVER. I saved my search preference by clicking this button and a pop up window appears saying "search preferences saved"
BUT it still does not default to search by date!

3. i tried the advanced setting you indicated and i still get repeated search results!

HTH

Last edited by leecavturbo; Jan 16, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'll play with some searches when I get home.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

its been a while since i was on last, but theres no search bar on the home page anymore, and when i try to search all my recent posts it shows only a few from a couple weeks ago.... enlighten me...?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I always complain about it too, but never have examples... So here... I ran a search for "clutch failure Evo" and this was what happened. First sorted by date (the way mine is auto-sorting it), second sorted by relevance, anyone else looking at these and going "Huh?":

Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Granted, it is most likely me being to lazy to try narrowing my results and using the advanced search. But go search for the same 3 words on Google.

Here are the three first results doing exactly what I did with the EvoM search:

premature clutch failure evo 8 - Automotive Message ForumsI have been hearing on other forums of premature clutch failure (without abuse) of the U.S. evo. has anybody on this site had this problem? i just bought my ...
www.automotivehelper.com/topic126238.htm - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

premature clutch failure evo 8 - Automotive Forums .com Car Chatpremature clutch failure evo 8 Lancer. ... Join Date: Jan 2002. Posts: 7127. Send a message via AIM to Neutrino. Re: premature clutch failure evo 8 ...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=126238 - 66k - Cached - Similar pages

Mitsubishi Evolution VIII Clutch - Tech Review - Turbo MagazineHundreds of Evo VIII owners have learned the hard way about living /eating burnt toast; it's a bitter pill. Some owners with have reported clutch failure ...
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/05...tch/index.html - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

I find it funny too, the first EvoM result on the page is titled this:
Will Evo X ever rally in the WRC? - Page 5 - evolutionm.net

But if you look at the "summary" thing it says this: "Evident, the Evolution X as many members in the forums has experienced premature clutch failure. The general consensus is that clutch capability is ..."

So maybe what I'm really looking for here is something that will actually show a bit of where it found the words I wanted, like google did here, and highlight the words I searched for (which EvoM does already). Sure, the thread isn't about it, but I can clearly see this guy was talking about it, and go directly to his post about it.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I search for my posts (sorted by date), some of them are not in the results, especially the latest.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have a problem. When I click on a members name or my name and click "Find all posts by this member" It only goes back to Jan 14th. All of my posts since then don't show up. Now I have search for the thread to find my answers.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

I cannot keep track of my last post's anymore in the order I posted them. (find all posts)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
I have a problem. When I click on a members name or my name and click "Find all posts by this member" It only goes back to Jan 14th. All of my posts since then don't show up. Now I have search for the thread to find my answers.
Jan 14th of '08, no? If I recall, it's limited to a year's search results.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Hobie can Admin confirm there is an issue with "sort by date" order and give an estimate on fix time?
this should give ppl the answers needed right now and less posts for you to answer
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Weird my issue is resolved for now, it seems.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

For all intents and purposes, consider me an admin. I'll see if anyone on the dev side can address this.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ~BoOsTeR~
Weird my issue is resolved for now, it seems.
Unfortunately we had a power outage at our building last week, and it killed the server that adds the new posts.
We have since fixed that

As for your other concerns, I really appreciate your feedback.
We are doing a V2.0 of the search, and all of your feedback is sincerely appreciated!

Quick Reply: The Search Issue Thread. Mega Merge