Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Viruses from EvoM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012 | 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Viruses from EvoM

I think there have been problems with this before but I just wanted to let the Mods know that I got a really nasty virus about week ago that completely shut down one of my computers. I don't remember what thread I was looking at but I got it by just clicking on a thumbnail to view a picture. I've also had my anti-virus pop up several times in the past telling me it was blocking malicious content while browsing the site. Just wondering if others are having the same problem and if there is anything the Mods can do to better protect the site.
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Wow I've never heard of someone getting a virus from a vb site, are you certain that the image that you clicked the thumb nail for was hosted on this site, aka an "attached image" if you find content like this you should alert a mod about it do they can remove it. Beyond that, I'd there are security issues with the site, an admin, specifically speedlimit, should be notified. I've never had my virus scanner pick up anything from this site, or any other Internet brands owned site I've been on for that matter.
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 10:54 AM

my virus scanner at work blocks the site from time to time due to "malicious" activity
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
Wow I've never heard of someone getting a virus from a vb site, are you certain that the image that you clicked the thumb nail for was hosted on this site, aka an "attached image" if you find content like this you should alert a mod about it do they can remove it. Beyond that, I'd there are security issues with the site, an admin, specifically speedlimit, should be notified. I've never had my virus scanner pick up anything from this site, or any other Internet brands owned site I've been on for that matter.
I can't remember if it was an attached image or not. But I've had my Anti-virus say it was blocking stuff while I'm just browsing a thread and not even clicking on anything.
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 12:14 PM
EvoM Administrator

It probably didn't come from this site (otherwise it'd be widespread and not just you). Most likely your computer got infected with malware elsewhere and it's hijacking links that you click on.
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
It probably didn't come from this site (otherwise it'd be widespread and not just you). Most likely your computer got infected with malware elsewhere and it's hijacking links that you click on.
Possibly but this is the only site I ever have a problem with. I don't get those messages from any other sites that I go to. If others are saying they're having the same problem it sounds like it might be an issue worth looking into.
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 05:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I think there have been problems with this before but I just wanted to let the Mods know that I got a really nasty virus about week ago that completely shut down one of my computers. I don't remember what thread I was looking at but I got it by just clicking on a thumbnail to view a picture. I've also had my anti-virus pop up several times in the past telling me it was blocking malicious content while browsing the site. Just wondering if others are having the same problem and if there is anything the Mods can do to better protect the site.
Hi and thank you for letting us know. We have had no other reports and as Otter stated your browser may be infected or an attachment hosted elsewhere may have been compromised. An occasional virus warning can occur when an advertisement rotates through linking a suspicious site and Google quickly removes them. We will keep an eye out for additional reports. Thanks.

Bob..
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I've had this happen to me here before. Most likely from an ad. That's a common vector to use for spreading viruses/Trojans.
Old Apr 15, 2012 | 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/si...fing-site.html

This pops up from time to time, sometimes its really hard for them to catch if you dont log with a good anti virus.
Old Apr 15, 2012 | 03:49 PM

works fine on my mac...

sorry, i had to be that guy.
Old Apr 15, 2012 | 05:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

It would be helpful if you can get me a click through URL and I'll get the ad removed. Thanks!

Bob..

Last edited by Speedlimit; Apr 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012 | 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Hi and thank you for letting us know. We have had no other reports and as Otter stated your browser may be infected or an attachment hosted elsewhere may have been compromised. An occasional virus warning can occur when an advertisement rotates through linking a suspicious site and Google quickly removes them. We will keep an eye out for additional reports. Thanks.

Bob..
Originally Posted by Speedlimit
It would be helpful if you can get me a link through URL and I'll get the ad removed. Thanks!

Bob..
Thanks for looking into this! Just trying to help out the community. I'll definitely try to get some specifics the next time something comes up.
Old Apr 16, 2012 | 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Been having this problem too
Old Apr 16, 2012 | 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

I've gotten fragged by ads from this site before. I run noscript and adblockplus in FF, and the problems went away.
Old Apr 16, 2012 | 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mikerock
works fine on my mac...

sorry, i had to be that guy.
Works fine on my PCs and my Android phone, too

Sorry, had to be that guy.

On topic: OP, check out NoScripts and AdBlock Plus for Firefox. If you're still using Internet Explorer, stop ASAP. It's awful.

Quick Reply: Viruses from EvoM