Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

EVOM on cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVOM on cell phone?

Well, I thought I'd try out internet access on my phone (Sony Ericsson T610). Using a cell phone, web browsing is very basic and limited. There are not a lot of WAP website which you can view from a phone. It's a little tedious reading an article, but it's still cool. So I'm still not sure whether to keep this feature.

Anyway, I was hoping EVOM had a WAP address. I thought it would be cool to check out some threads from my phone. After a few guesses, I wasn't able to locate one. I figured Mark wouldn't bother with one. But......

...you can access Google via wap.google.com. After I searched for 'lancer evolution', I was able to locate EVOm.net. Surprisingly, I was able to click on EVOM.net and read all the text and links (through Google). Wahoo! Basically, it's a pain, but EVOM can be accessed on a cell phone web browser.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I know Mark mentioned to me once in a conversation the possibility of setting up phone access to the site....I really don't think it went much further than being a fleeting thought however.

Is there really a demand for being able to access this site on a cell phone?

SC~
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

thats hardcore dedication to this site. lol. I think it would be cool but deffinitly a pain in the **** to browse on cell phones. i do not even have the service anymore bc it was just to much to sit there for 10 minutes fidgiting with the phone.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Is there really a demand for being able to access this site on a cell phone?

SC~
I guess that's up to the EVOM members to say. Web enable phones and its service are getting cheaper and more common. For those who haven't tried it recently, some WAP enabled websites (CNN, ESPN, and even EBAY) are actually pretty fast and easy to navigate.

Dedicated to this site? Maybe? Instead playing a game on my phone, I can browse the net. Reading forums is more interesting and dynamic than a news website.

So Mark, give us a beta WAP website to mess around with!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I used my Blackberry last week to surf and post to EvoM while I was in the passenger seat rolling down the coast of Maine. It worked fairly well but you have to consider the Blackberry is a pretty full featured WML browser. T-Mobile does a halfway decent job of converting HTML to WML.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
I guess that's up to the EVOM members to say. Web enable phones and its service are getting cheaper and more common. For those who haven't tried it recently, some WAP enabled websites (CNN, ESPN, and even EBAY) are actually pretty fast and easy to navigate.

Dedicated to this site? Maybe? Instead playing a game on my phone, I can browse the net. Reading forums is more interesting and dynamic than a news website.

damn ebay?? i did not know that. well that said if evom had it i know i would probably use it. i do miss alot of OT during the day
Old Jul 2, 2004, 07:45 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by kdogg

The WAP feature is not included in vbulletin as standard, but a company did go ahead and make a WAP friendly style. What I will do is work on a wap.evolutionm.net page to link to the forums with the correct style id. That should do the trick

Mark
Old Jul 2, 2004, 07:53 AM

Can't wait to get evom on my cell phone, I do a lot of landscaping and all day long I have no access to a computer. I just have my phone with me.

Eduardo
Old Jul 2, 2004, 08:02 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Here's the link:
http://wap.evolutionm.net

It should take you to the forums with the new WAP / PDA friendly style. It still allows pms and posting, etc.

If you click this link from your regular pc then you will be using this style. If you want to switch to the graphical look, then click the link below:

Return to Default Style

Mark
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I just went to wap.evolutionm.net on my Pocket PC (2003). It still was pretty intensive. Fair number of images (including the banner and such). I'm running right now between 60-64kbps through my Bluetooth paired cell phone (acting as a modem).

Don't know how CSS for the forum site is done, but if the stylesheet used smaller, low-color depth images/icons, not show avatars, that would do wonders. Also, looks like the site assumes a minimum width, so there's a lot of horizontal scrolling.

Just some feedback. I accessed the site on the road a fair amount last week, and I essentially just had my Pocket PC not bother with images. I got around well enough, and that's what really kills the load times more than anything.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:05 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Hmm, I'll check out the wap version and see what I can do. It should have looked a lot like the archives page:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mitsubishi-evolution-forums/

If it was very different from that, chances are the refresh I placed on that page didn't work right. I'll try and check that out.

Mark
Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yup. Doesn't look like the refresh is working. Not working in either PocketPC or Mozilla.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Hey mark I just bought a new phone so now i have the ability to play more.. Did you find out anything on the refresh . i cant load up the full page b.c there is toomany pics.

thanks for looking into this for us
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Is wap.evolutionm.net working? When I enter that address on my phone, I get the "Your client is not allowed to access the requested object". I usually get that message when visiting "normal" websites (non-WAP friendly).
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:04 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I'm researching how to get vb to work on WAP. Hopefully, I'll have something soon.

Mark

Quick Reply: EVOM on cell phone?