Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Why do I keep getting Pop up ads from this site

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxR
you've got an adware virus. its probably in your registry so you can't just delete it, you'll have to do a regedit. norton anti-virus will identify it and give you instructions on how to remove it completely.
Last I heard, Norton wasn't detecting spywares yet. Ad-aware 6.1 should help you alot, but the latest version 1.4 is a piece of ***... Spybot could do as well, but it's not as userfriendly as Ad-aware. Hijack This is supposed to be very good but I've never tried it my-self.

Another you should do is:

Start > Control Panel > Add /Remove program
Look for anything that looks out of place. If you ain't sure, run a search on the web regarding the concerned program and you'll find out if you need to remove or keep

Hope that helps
Old Sep 13, 2004, 06:24 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
From the description, he's not getting popup ads, he's getting a permission request to run a shockwave app (Shining Monkey and a couple others).

I asked about this months ago and there is nothing you can do - just suck it up and click ok.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 06:43 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysixer
Buy a Mac. You'll never have pop-ups again. Guaranteed.
That's like cutting off your lef because you stubbed your toe....

Have you installed the Flash player? If not, why not? Or, is it just asking to run it? If so, then lower your security settings.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

I'll second using foxfire. Adblock is man's greatest creation
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I get none... And I have no special/extra software.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Whats up with EvoM I keep getting all these stupid POP UP ads for SAVE and car ads from your site and some thing keeps popping up saying do you want to install Macro Media plus everytime I try to view a post or reply. Whats up with this?
The problems you are experiencing are not related to this site. You should have no pop-ups while viewing this site. Depending on your browsers security settings, you may get some security prompts asking for permission to run certain pieces of software. If those bother you, you will have to adjust your settings for viewing this site.

While visiting other sites on the internet, you likely picked up some spyware or adware. This is what is likely causing the advertisement pop-ups. You should install a copy of Adaware and update/run it each week. It will do wonders. Oh, and dump AOhell.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

AD-Aware & SPYBOT your pop up free......
Old Sep 20, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

i use slimbrowser.. works good

Last edited by kamokazi; Sep 20, 2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
AD-AwareSE & SPYBOT your pop up free......
Use these 2 things and you should have no problems.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:32 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by BADEVO
AD-Aware & SPYBOT your pop up free......

We aren't using any pop ups, so it should be some form of spyware or Flash prompt you are getting.

Mark
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well it appears my homepage was hijacked and I had several or should I say an As# load of spyware on my computer. Since then I have fixed everything but I still get an Install program(Macro Media) from this site only but my Virus detection say not to download KK Is this program safe? With all the problems I have recently I am a little cautious so if anyone has already downloaded and had no problems please chime in.
Thanks and again sorry for thinking it was this site I should have known better.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:49 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Well it appears my homepage was hijacked and I had several or should I say an As# load of spyware on my computer. Since then I have fixed everything but I still get an Install program(Macro Media) from this site only but my Virus detection say not to download KK Is this program safe? With all the problems I have recently I am a little cautious so if anyone has already downloaded and had no problems please chime in.
Thanks and again sorry for thinking it was this site I should have known better.
If the download is from Macromedia it should be safe., but since I don't know what the pop up is, I can't say for sure. You can download it from Macromedia yourself. This link should work for you:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/...ShockwaveFlash

Mark