Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Got hit with laser, need advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SH 121, huh? I’ll be careful now, I go through there everyday. Regarding the idea of the cop not showing up… little chance of that. The cop, the prosecutor and the judge all work for the city and they have this system worked out just fine. When you show up in court on your specific date many of the other victims in there will be from the same cop. Each cop has a specific court date and time so he does not have to do anything special or make any special arrangements to be there. It’s routine for him, for example every Wednesday morning is his court time.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhutch
Pakistani in Texas! Good luck! Just kidding. The last time I was in court the guy argued "but this was the wrong address/road where I was speeding". The judge just asked him if he would like the ticket changed to the address/street he was speeding on. Good luck.
The problem was the way he worded it- he admitted he was speeding and now his argument rests on where the infraction occured. The law is concerend with whether he was speeding, not where he was when he was speeding- unfortunately. If he'd had a better alibi and said someting like "I wasn't anywhere near 5th and Main that day at 1:45. I work downtown on Apple Street and 112th and was at work that day" that's another story.

for the original poster, I'm sorry to say that SMDs are hard to beat because the system WANTS them to work- whether they're being used properly or even if they actually measured the speed you were going (or any speed for that matter) is irrelevant. The cop gets paid overtime for being there- you know he's gonna show up. I'm in wasington state, but it's the same everywhere.... At my first trial in September 04, the prosecutor failed to subpoena the officer and the radar expert- I filed my request for subpoena over 45 days in advance- and the judge granted a continuance anyway. At my speeding trial in November the prosecutor handed the cop a copy of the radar's calibration logs, other evidence to the effectiveness of radar and basically a script of what to say. It was all then admitted as evidence to the fact that the device was working properly, and that he's an expert in its workings and use- even though the cop said, and I quote, "I don't have to know how it works, all I have to do is point it at you and get a reading" this was AFTER he testified that he was a certified instructor in the use of the radar device. Everybody's got everybody else's back and then there's you trying to tell them that they're full of crap.....

If defensive driving is an option, try that. In light of the fact that you've been without a ticket for 3 years might get you leniency.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they still offer Defensive Driving level II here? I did get out of a ticket that way once when I had taken DD within the last 12 months. And the post was meant to bring out that what is written on the ticket i.e. "White" means nothing when you are in court and you are black or yellow or brown or red or green. Officers make mistakes because they are human and Judges know which mistakes make a difference. Buy my car.