Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Got hit with laser, need advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got hit with laser, need advice

I got a ticket on SH 121 in Grapevine earlier today, coincidentally at 1:21PM, and was hit with laser. Cop wrote me a ticket for 80 in a 60, and there goes my 3 years of no speeding ticket streak. Figured it was gonna end soon. So anyways, anyone know of a good traffic lawyer where I can either have it reduced or dismissed even? Or should I just take defensive driving and get it done with?

Funny thing is, under race, the cop put me as Caucasian, even though I'm not white. I hope I can perhaps get that dismissed based on that

TIA
Old Apr 13, 2005, 03:53 PM

if you haven't used ur defensive driving option yet... I'd go ahead and use that first. You can take the class online nowadays so there's no real disadvantage of that option... plus it'll help ya out with your insurance.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pacman3000gt
if you haven't used ur defensive driving option yet... I'd go ahead and use that first. You can take the class online nowadays so there's no real disadvantage of that option... plus it'll help ya out with your insurance.
The last time I used DD was 2 years ago. I'm not sure if I can still be able to use it.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

my friend lives in texas and she says u can do dd once every 12 months. she just did it, and she says she knows because she always gets a ticket once a year it never fails
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Oh okay, I'll do that.

But another question, what are the Texas laws on technicality? The police officer put me Caucasian under Race, even though I'm not white. Can I be able to get that ticket dismissed due to that? Or does that vary between each municipality?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:03 PM

I thought you said 3 years of no speeding tickets

Well either way... it shouldn't matter. I think they give you one defensive driving opt out ever year.

Just go to the Grapevine Municipal Court building or wherever you got the ticket... and see... if they don't have an option you like... you can always check all those local traffic attorneys to take the ticket for you.

They usually charge you like 40 bucks or so and then you pay whatever extra fines they can talk the judge down to... but it's usually cheaper to just use the deferred adjudication option or the defensive driving option... and usually the defensive driving option is cheaper (at least that's the way it was when I last visited a court to get my ticket taken care of, things may have changed recently )

214-38-LEGAL or something like that is for one attorney... but you can always do a price comparison with a few of them. Just check a few of them out in the phonebook or on the online yellow pages.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ImportPePe
Oh okay, I'll do that.

But another question, what are the Texas laws on technicality? The police officer put me Caucasian under Race, even though I'm not white. Can I be able to get that ticket dismissed due to that? Or does that vary between each municipality?
You can't get out of it on a technicality like that... unless the judge is lenient... it really depends on the judge. But in a situation like a traffic ticket... it's the big state against a measly ol' you. You'd have better luck with pleading not guilty and hoping that the cop just doesn't show up.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pacman3000gt
I thought you said 3 years of no speeding tickets
Got the ticket in '02, DD was scheduled in February '03.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

So what is your race? If you are Hispanic, you are considered white with Hispanic origin.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Villan
So what is your race? If you are Hispanic, you are considered white with Hispanic origin.
I'm South Asian.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

South Asian = Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, what?

I don't think it matters though, small mistakes are generally allowed. If he wrote down the wrong name or something, that's different.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
South Asian = Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, what?

I don't think it matters though, small mistakes are generally allowed. If he wrote down the wrong name or something, that's different.
Pakistani. Well if all else fails, I'll just take defensive driving and be more cautious next time.

It sucks breaking my 3 year streak
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:18 PM

Pakistani in Texas! Good luck! Just kidding. The last time I was in court the guy argued "but this was the wrong address/road where I was speeding". The judge just asked him if he would like the ticket changed to the address/street he was speeding on. Don't bother, take the course, but not online. Get one where they feed you and make you laugh a bit.

Good luck.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

The easiest thing IMO would be to take the DD. I would only look at fighting the ticket if you've received 2 or more tickets in the last 12 months.

I took the online DD course and felt it was a bit more convienent. You still have to go through 8 hours but while you're going through the course you can do other things (surf the web, the forums, bills,..etc) and you can pause and come back anytime.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 09:12 AM

Start saving up for a laser jammer, too!