Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

No More Front plates in Texas if H.B. 3540 Becomes law

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No More Front plates in Texas if H.B. 3540 Becomes law

I saw this on NASIOC

Article 9 would amend the Transportation Code to require the Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. The bill would allow a vehicle that displays two license plates to be operated on a public highway if TxDOT assigned both plates for the registration period as a set of plates. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.

Code:
ARTICLE 9. REDUCTION IN NUMBER OF LICENSE PLATES ISSUED SECTION 9.01. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows: Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. (b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates. (c) In any provision of this code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," the term means only one license plate. SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by the department for a registration period beginning on or after the effective date of this article. For a registration period that begins before the effective date of this article, the department shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect immediately before the effective date of this article, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. SECTION 9.03. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.

It passed preliminary voting in the House yesterday, 107-37.
-Ben
Old May 5, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

what a relief if this passes!!! Not that I have one right now....but I would be legal at least.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I hate the front plate on this car.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

woot!

That's so kewl! ... also notice the number of legislators in favor? 107 to 37! ...

I suppose I still don't understand the why have a front plate argument anyways.

When a traffic violation is committed how many times are the conditions right to use that information to find the perpetrator? Also .. if front plates are so important for autos to have them, why don't motorbikes have front plates also? Those are just a couple of thoughts I've had about front plates in general ...

jcnel.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_whiplash
I hate the front plate on this car.
It looks 100x's better without it, and now I'll be legal.

-Ben
Old May 6, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LpBevoEvo
It looks 100x's better without it, and now I'll be legal.

-Ben
Been to the track I see???? What's up with that damn ugly a$$ grommet on the bumper? Mine didn't come with that.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sgplancer
Been to the track I see???? What's up with that damn ugly a$$ grommet on the bumper? Mine didn't come with that.
I ran some good times. Would have been in 12's with a decent launch.
They had already put on the license plate bracket when I got the car. The grommet makes the hole not look "guttah" / makes you jealous. After this goes through, you won't have to be afraid of getting pulled over for it again . You need to get ready for a trip to HRP. I'll be back on the 17th.

-Ben
Old May 6, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

well i actually like my plate up front. it would look bare without it
Old May 7, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

I believe this has passed. By sept 1 no front plates required.
Old May 8, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Bill has been sent to the senate. From there it will go through the whole process of committee study and then voted on, then additional ammendments, then with 3rd reading is voted on again. It will then be sent to the governor for signing (could be sent back to house if it is ammended for a majority vote). Anyway...we're almost there! Someone post up when they find out it's been signed!
Old May 10, 2005, 12:28 AM

hehe. i hope this passes. I just got rearended in my SRT by a SUV and pushed into another SUV. i told the shop specifically not to drill any holes in the front bumper for the plate. lets see if i can get away with one plate until this passes.
Old May 10, 2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by hotpants
hehe. i hope this passes. I just got rearended in my SRT by a SUV and pushed into another SUV. i told the shop specifically not to drill any holes in the front bumper for the plate. lets see if i can get away with one plate until this passes.
Go to the shop, pick up your plate and license plate frame. Otherwise, the monkey working on it probably won't get the message NOT to put it back on.

-B
Old May 10, 2005, 02:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Very true!
Old May 10, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

heh, i honestly would not move somewhre if I had to put a plate on the front of my evo, unless I had a job offer for 100k plus
Old May 10, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

NO FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MD needs to have a talk with TX!

Quick Reply: No More Front plates in Texas if H.B. 3540 Becomes law